Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    This cool dude was skating below the minaret in Urumqi

CIMG1729.jpgCIMG1730.jpgCIMG1731.jpgCIMG1732.jpgCIMG1733.jpg

2. #32 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 

3. #33 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    we need more pictures of the landscape not a kating kid, mate. most of us can not go that far. you have done it.

4. #34 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    Great report mate, some serious fucking mileage you're racking up.

I'm a bit surprised reading this. I often though of xinjiang as one of the places i'd like to ride the most in china. But reading this it sounds like i'm just going to be disappointed and angry at the authoritarian han chinese presence. Most of what you describe sounds like the han slowly crushing and eroding away at that province's culture in their relentless march to beat the uighurs into submission. Like the destruction of the Kashgar old town that's been going on the last few years. Apparently it was the largest and best preserved ancient islamic city in central asia, and under the pretence of earthquake safety the han authorities have now leveled most of it and replaced with generic high risers. It's so sad that you can go to beijing, lhasa, guangzhou and kashgar and find the exact same shit everywhere...

Maybe i'm just being pessimistic and i should really just go see for myself, but i find it less and less tempting.

5. #35 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Xinjiang is beautiful for the nature. The history is not well preserved in anywhere of china. The authorities do not care anout the past nor the future. In china wen you find one place without people. It must be nice there. By the wqy tom did not take the tianshan pics. It is a grand mountain.

Fantastic ride man! Thanks so much for posting. One of these days...

7. #37 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Great report mate, some serious fucking mileage you're racking up.

I'm a bit surprised reading this. I often though of xinjiang as one of the places i'd like to ride the most in china. But reading this it sounds like i'm just going to be disappointed and angry at the authoritarian han chinese presence. Most of what you describe sounds like the han slowly crushing and eroding away at that province's culture in their relentless march to beat the uighurs into submission. Like the destruction of the Kashgar old town that's been going on the last few years. Apparently it was the largest and best preserved ancient islamic city in central asia, and under the pretence of earthquake safety the han authorities have now leveled most of it and replaced with generic high risers. It's so sad that you can go to beijing, lhasa, guangzhou and kashgar and find the exact same shit everywhere...

Maybe i'm just being pessimistic and i should really just go see for myself, but i find it less and less tempting.
    I find it interesting that people judge Xinjiang with out actually been there or from one brief holiday trip. There are I think 13 other etnic groups in Xinjiang but everyone always says what a raw deal the Urhygurs get.

Uryghurs can legally carry knifes and sell and buy knifes No one else can. All the ethnic groups are allowed certain freedoms the Han don't receive and vice a versa.

The beauty of Xinjiang I think is scenic landscape and people that is still there. Sure the Han are tough on Urhgurs but there also tough on fellow Han.

8. #38 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    Hey, I'm in a bar waiting for my flight to hohhot so pls excuse any typos. Raymond! No tianshan photos! Wtf! The snowy pics are the highest pass, thru there, I took loads. I have more but need to edit the mofos first. Felix, its not that bad, there are a shit load of road blocks but when u het to a town its actually fairly low key. They were pretty hot on hotel registration but apart from that everyone was pretty much left to it. The locals didn't seem that oppressed and looked busy enough with their own lives. The main reason for not going to xinjiang is the boring roads, there r sole great ones but I also sometimes went days othout a corner!

9. #39 Re: Xinjiang figure of 8 
    Quote Originally Posted by futianshenzhen View Post
    Hey, I'm in a bar waiting for my flight to hohhot so pls excuse any typos. Raymond! No tianshan photos! Wtf! The snowy pics are the highest pass, thru there, I took loads. I have more but need to edit the mofos first. Felix, its not that bad, there are a shit load of road blocks but when u het to a town its actually fairly low key. They were pretty hot on hotel registration but apart from that everyone was pretty much left to it. The locals didn't seem that oppressed and looked busy enough with their own lives. The main reason for not going to xinjiang is the boring roads, there r sole great ones but I also sometimes went days othout a corner!
    The trick is to stay off the toll roads unless your in a hurry plenty of back roads of varying quality in Xinjiang that is where you will see the real Xinjiang but you won't be doing the mileage you were doing on backroads.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234