Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Cruiser Links?

1. #1 Cruiser Links? 
    I guess this is where the cruiser links/threads are suppose to be. I seen no other listings. It is funny I looked everywhere for cruiser links and nobody seems to have them or there for the 250 v-twin, but what if you have a 150 or a 250-4. And what is with that everywhere I look they sell 125 then jumps right to 250 but seems to miss the 150 engines, what with that? I do want to change the motor in my motorcycle to the 250-4, but at this time it is not possible.

I agree with you!

Crazy Carl the boss of these forums doesn't seem to want give you cruiser guys any home of your own. I'm not personally a cruiser fan (I don't like the rake and the weight or wind-blast), but there are lots of cruiser 150 singles, 250 parallel twins and a few v-twin manufacturers including Regal-Raptor, Lifan and Qiangjiang to name just a few.

I do want to change the motor in my motorcycle to the 250-4, but at this time it is not possible.
    ?? You mean buy a 250 single engine?
    If you have a 150cc cruiser a 250 can't fit unless you can find a 250 single engine to fit in the bike (but depends on your frame). Also I think that a 150cc single engine isn't really powerful enough for a heavier type of bike like a cruiser. I have a 150cc engine in a fairly light street bike and it can be pretty boring on all but the tightest twistiest mountain roads. There isn't very much more power available from a 150 than from a 125, which is why most people skip to a 250.

Thanks for the reply. The frame that this bike has now apparently can accept the 250-4. http://www.lifan.com/en/product_list...id=8412&id=937
    The motor is an inline twin cyl. and from what the dealer told me it will bolt right in with no mods. I guess Lifan had certain frames for certain engines, this one holds both the 250-4 and the 150-11.

And here in Lima, there are a lot of people who ride. I would say a majority ride 125 more for economical reasons, even the Police/Security departments ride 250's.

Tom,

I would initially think that a frame built for a single cylinder wouldn't fit a parallel twin engine but the Chinese are masters of open-source manufacturing so I could certainly be wrong.

You said it's not possible to change at this time? Is that because the engine is not available?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

OK, so you want to put this engine in?

OK, clearly you must already have a cradle type frame which can take this engine. You will notice a BIG difference from 8KW-9KW to 13KW-15KW. Make sure that you use western quality tires if you change to this engine with the extra power you'll have the bike could handle badly or even dangerously on corners with Chinese 150cc cruiser tires especially with cold road or tire temperature.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 01-13-2009 at 12:14 PM.

6. #6 Cruiser Links? 
    Well, the engine that I picked has one carb. And the dealer says it will fit, no problem why would the dealer lie? If it wouldn't work they usually tell you.

The frame definitely looks like it has enough room to house a 250-4 engine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1376827411

The bracket that houses the engine is a separate piece that bolts and holds the engine too. I will check out the tire specs with the dealer.

As the for the frame specs it is just about the same except for the overall length. But to be 100% sure, I will measure the overall length myself.

7. #7 Cruiser Links? 
    No, they have the engine in stock, but my funds to purchase the engine are lacking, that is why. I have to wait a bit to get it the engine. And since the 6 months warranty is over, I'm sure it will cost extra for them to install the new engine, not like it will be free.

So if it's one carb, it's a 250 single cylinder you would replace the engine with, you'd still notice an improvement in power.

If you are short of money, save it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gillwald View Post
    ...I'm sure it will cost extra for them to install the new engine, not like it will be free.
    Is your lack of money for the engine itself or the installation labor cost?

If you're mechanically inclined and they engine use similar wiring harnesses and such, then the engine swap shouldn't be too difficult. One nice thing about Chinese bikes is their simplicity and ease of maintenance.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

10. #10 Cruiser Links? 
    Well that what I am doing saving for the motor. The only thing I am wondering about is the wiring, this I will have to check out in both of the manuals 150-11 and the 250-4. I want to be 110% they will work, I was in the automotive industry for many years, so doing the work would be easier for me. But since the 150 engines has very low mileage, wondering if I can get a reduction on the cost of the new motor if I let them do it, that would be even better.

Actually looking forward towards a little more power. Will have to check into that, thanks for your inputs.