Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    XENA alarmed disc locks are the ones I use, but maybe I will change my mind ...

Found this pic (and others) as well as a discussion on motorfans (clickie).

2. #22 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    It's because this one's 6mm pin does not lock in the "receiver" hole, thus if forcing it open only the body holds, making it much more fragile than the ones with body and pin holding together.

It needs a locking pin like follows (14 or 15mm):
    XX15.jpg

Best 2 are those I read (no alarm tho, I don't know about Abus alarm disc locks):

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorc...rged-disc-lock

http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secur...7-60-Maxi-Mini
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

3. #23 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    is there a retail outlet in Shanghai that sells these chains and locks....
    LMMC/LAMF

4. #24 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    According to some western M/C thieves disk locks aren't that useful because a thief can actually unbolt the disk, then hang it from string and still ride your bike away. Best to use the best chain you can get lock it to an object maybe with an alarmed padlock.

5. #25 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    According to some western M/C thieves disk locks aren't that useful because a thief can actually unbolt the disk, then hang it from string and still ride your bike away. Best to use the best chain you can get lock it to an object maybe with an alarmed padlock.
    Yea. U can't rely only on disc locks, but I believe it's an indispensable part of a proper security setup.

Talking about which, I'm getting one of those Almax chains (renowned to be the best worldwide):

http://www.almax-security-chains.co....oducts/c-1-73/

Delivery fee to China is somewhere near 80 pounds, if anyone is interested plz PM me.

I'll order next week.

Peace.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

6. #26 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Finally received the 16mm 1.5 meter Almax chain from GB, looks pretty solid, I removed the sleeve so it's easier to see:

DSC_0962.jpg

Just a bit heavy to go around with but any box on the bike or scooter trunk will lodge it just fine.

RMB 1600 with the lock, add 400 for freight, it's actually cheaper than many lower quality Abus, Kryptonite or other brands chains.

Let's hope it's as solid as advertised...
    Georges Brassens

7. #27 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hmmm... the exposed links make it that much easier for a set of bolt cutters to get a good easy purchase... If the chain links had been encased in a several mm thick rubber/epoxy resin casing then that would make life just that little more difficult... me thinks.
    YMMV
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 02-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.

8. #28 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Hmmm... the exposed links make it that much easier for a set of bolts cutters to get a good easy purchase... If the chain links had been encased in a several centimetre thick rubber/epoxy resin casing then that would make life just that little more difficult... me thinks.
    YMMV
    Yea I don't really understand why there's no casing, I haven't seen any chain with it, while it's common on D-locks. Many other chains are actually of square section which actually eases the cropper's jaws purchase...

The video claims the almax is bolt croppers and portable hydraulic croppers proof, even if getting a good purchase:
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=19

Then the lock's shoulders and small "hole" makes getting purchase on the exposed part of the shackle difficult, as the piece needs to be deep between the jaws for it not to slide out.
    Now I guess a dent just at the end of the jaws could "catch" it still.
    Then there's always the good old blowtorch option...
    Georges Brassens

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123