Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Some Chinese locks aren't so good 
    I had bought a new electric scooter on a Monday. Bought an alarm and two locks: one for the trunk/battery case and another beefier one to luse on the wheel. I come out on the following Wednesday morning to find my bike is nowhere to be found. Called the police and we watched the CCTV of an older fellow stroll up to my bike at 5:20pm in broad daylight, unlock my wheel lock and push it away.

By some stroke of luck, on the way back home, I found my bike on the side of the road, just out of view of a security camera. I was able to drive it all of the 100m back home, although the steering lock is wonked out and the ignition has to be replaced.

I found a used kryptonic fogetaboutit lock on taobao and have been using that rediculous chunk of metal to lock it. Also have a cover on the way from the States.

Don't trust Chinese locks to lock even ur bicycle.

2. #2 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by r1smith View Post
    I had bought a new electric scooter on a Monday. Bought an alarm and two locks: one for the trunk/battery case and another beefier one to luse on the wheel. I come out on the following Wednesday morning to find my bike is nowhere to be found. Called the police and we watched the CCTV of an older fellow stroll up to my bike at 5:20pm in broad daylight, unlock my wheel lock and push it away.

By some stroke of luck, on the way back home, I found my bike on the side of the road, just out of view of a security camera. I was able to drive it all of the 100m back home, although the steering lock is wonked out and the ignition has to be replaced.

I found a used kryptonic fogetaboutit lock on taobao and have been using that rediculous chunk of metal to lock it. Also have a cover on the way from the States.

Don't trust Chinese locks to lock even ur bicycle.
    Amazing and wonderful outcome. Did it appear from the CCTV that the thief had some kind of master key, or perhaps an actual key for that lock?

I'm also starting to see OnGuard Locks on sale in many stores here in Shanghai. I just had a squiz through Taobao and see there's a ton of choices there.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Sorry I had to change the perfectly reasonable title of the thread because it was causing troubles with the GFW.

+1 on Kryptonite locks

4. #4 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    C-Moto Regular
    I am using my Abus locks I had from before. The Chinese locks are definitely not as sold .... Plus the chance of master keys floating around..... Fairly high to " you really need to ask?"

5. #5 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Amazing and wonderful outcome. Did it appear from the CCTV that the thief had some kind of master key, or perhaps an actual key for that lock?

I'm also starting to see OnGuard Locks on sale in many stores here in Shanghai. I just had a squiz through Taobao and see there's a ton of choices there.

cheers
    Hi all,
    Maybe it is not the best to buy this kind of security stuff on taobao as the seller knows your address and can have a key of your purchased lock as well.
    Buying from a high rated seller can be a guarantee (Arranging purchasing with non home address also an option)
    Maybe i am paranoid....

I am looking for a long chainlock with a bigger ring at its one end. any proposal?
    Any experience with top dog?
    http://a.m.taobao.com/i6923619969.ht...a0210&abtest=7
    Any experience with luma?
    Or this is the solution to be able to sleep well?
    http://a.m.taobao.com/i16781265363.h...a0210&abtest=7

The bests sandor

6. #6 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 

7. #7 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Quote Originally Posted by sandor View Post
    Hi all,
    Maybe it is not the best to buy this kind of security stuff on taobao as the seller knows your address and can have a key of your purchased lock as well....
    Now this paranoid is getting a bit out of hand. You can apply the same logic (or paranoid) to your car key, door key, office key or any other kind of locking devices. Why stops at Taobao sellers? Don't those Chinese around you all look suspicious, your landlord, business partners, your customers, your co-workers? Is this country really fit for honest living, temporary or permanent?

And worst of all, how can you possibly ride your motorcycle to anywhere? Haven't you heard of those crimes and bandits in the "Chinese" countryside? (Don't even think of going to Xingjiang.)

8. #8 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Now this paranoid is getting a bit out of hand. You can apply the same logic (or paranoid) to your car key, door key, office key or any other kind of locking devices. Why stops at Taobao sellers? Don't those Chinese around you all look suspicious, your landlord, business partners, your customers, your co-workers? Is this country really fit for honest living, temporary or permanent?

And worst of all, how can you possibly ride your motorcycle to anywhere? Haven't you heard of those crimes and bandits in the "Chinese" countryside? (Don't even think of going to Xingjiang.)

I did not mean that all chinese are suspicious or worse than people of other nations. One can find cheaters everywhere in the world. My post was just maybe a bit overreaction to the 'floating masterkeys' remark...
    But maybe you can agree with that if one sees a branded good in the us or eu then he does not think even for a moment about if it is an original or copy, because there it is not straightforward just to copy something completely and sell it with the original brand's logo.
    I mean here they play the game of life with a little bit different rules than i used to do in europe.
    I am not judging just this my impression.

The bests sandor

9. #9 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Most of the time, the thieves will force the steering lock, busting it in the process by using force by twisiting handle bars until the lock gives. The ignition is simple, a long screw driver with big enough handle and a hammer sort that out, enough force can turn the barrel and get the bike running, or else sitting nearby will be an associate usually on another bike, who will tow the stolen bike with thief aboard. As for external locks, a few big sets of bolt cutters are deployed, which works for most locks...
    There's a thread with links on Youku/Soku showing captured CCTV footage of bikes being stolen... worth reviewing

10. #10 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    By the ease at which he took it, it seemed like he had a master key. Either that, or a specialized lock pick for the job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast