Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Don't those Chinese around you all look suspicious, your landlord, business partners, your customers, your co-workers?
    You forgot spouse! (ooops, did I really say that out loud?)

Actually, the ONLY time I have been blatantly ripped off in China ... it was by a whitey American. Crooks come in all shapes & sizes.

2. #12 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    This picture has caused local internet stir, but does prove some point.
    20130617091057.jpg
    同志仍需努力

3. #13 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    This picture has caused local internet stir, but does prove some point.
    20130617091057.jpg
    Nice post, TD. Maybe we need a new thread called TIC-N -- This is China-NOT!

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Since I was PM'd by a fellow MCM member asking advice and info about locks thought I may as well throw some info here to share...

Kryptonite locks Pretty solid variety of locks. Worth looking at the companies website too. Kryptonite locks for sale on Taobao.
    The Kryptonite prices vary a little on Taobao, but expect to pay around 2000 for the chain lock and about 1000+ for the U lock.

Look for the NYC fughetaboutit chain/lock from Kryptonite

There are also Xena XUL310 U locks which incorporate an alarm 110dB. So plenty loud. The Xena locks are n Taobao but not specifically the XUL310.

Advice:
    Use a combination of two locks, a U lock and a chain lock. The U lock through one wheel to the frame while the chain lock to the other end of the bike and through a solid object/ground anchor.

Also there are chain locks at my local B&Q, 289 kuai. Masterlock I think is the name, I use one on my Dragstar 1100 Classic, in combination with a disc lock.

Worth a read...

ask-a-motorcycle-thief

5. #15 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    [...]There are also Xena XUL310 U locks which incorporate an alarm 110dB. So plenty loud. The Xena locks are n Taobao but not specifically the XUL310.

Advice:
    Use a combination of two locks, a U lock and a chain lock. The U lock through one wheel to the frame while the chain lock to the other end of the bike and through a solid object/ground anchor. [...]
    U can find all sizes of Xena alarm 110dB disk locks on Jiaoji road at the big shop close from Jiaotong rd, they don't come cheap but they're just dope, especially if u live near enough from ur bike to hear the 110dB alarm.

Regarding ur advice, damn right, regarding ur link, excellent read, tips about gated garages and clutch lever are awesome.

I would add for China:

1: Get a GPS, and regular alarm too, real cheap here..

2: Don't park ur bike where some guys can just raise it up into a truck, then all locks are worthless, park it so there's a physical barrier between ur bike and the street.

3: Don't put any lock (chain, braided cable, U-lock) at ground level, like everyone does here in China, attached drawing to explain why if u do, lock quality don't matter, u still should lock it to the environment though..

4: For home, if u can, feel like it, and have a little garden at least, the ultimate protection against thieves is and has always been a big black dog..

Lock-ur-bike.jpg
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

6. #16 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^Great post/reply, and I dig that graphic... very simple and effective explanation.

7. #17 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ^Great post/reply, and I dig that graphic... very simple and effective explanation.
    Cheers, I was reading ur article a third time and decided to read every single comment so see if there's more interesting stuff, most are people ranting that their 98 GSX600 got nicked.

But this guy seems to be a thief also and although ranting that he's better (probably disappointed he didn't get to be interviewed) he makes a few interesting points:

Lots of loop holes in this guys bullshit.
    Everything is said will work...if a amateur is trying to steal your bike.
    All disk locks are a joke for a pro. Just unbolt the disk, hang it with a shoe lace and bye bye motorcycle. You can even ride.
    Gated apartments? Those are the worst. Lots of windows and possible prying eyes, unless if the bike is in a perfect spot.
    Clutch lever? A pro is ready with extras or vice grips. They even carry ignitions switchs with keys, snapping the fork lock is a joke and some bikes you can plug in the ignition switch for the side plastic.
    Like I said a "pro".
    Jo-Jack? Most bikes are stole at night while youre having sweet dreams of riding the next day. While your dreaming your Jo-Jack and bike are already in pieces.
    Garages are the best places. Not only do you get time to work on stealing the bike in private but all the extras that come along with it like gear and tools. Big score.
    Best place to keep your bike is in your own fenced in back yard garage with a couple of Rotties or Pits. Thieves hate big barking dogs. I use to leave my garage wide open all night long knowing the risk. My 160lbs Rottie and 80lbs Pit did the job.
    But if you are going to park the bike in a garage make sure it secure with a few locks and make sure the locks are mount at the top of the door, that will make it very hard or impossible to cut with bolt cutters. And inside the garage some rebar cemented in the floor with the best chains and locks money can buy. And a garage alarm wouldnt hurt.
    If you park on the street it doesnt matter what you got. 2 guys, 1 van, day or night and your bike is gone. Day time works better some times. People think who the hell is going to steal a bike right now in front of all these people and no one bothers to call the cops. A pro doesnt make it look obvious. Ive loaded up my bikes and friends bikes on busy streets,never once got pulled over or asked what we were doing. So if you think your safe because its day time your wrong.

And the majority of professional bike thieves are not on drugs. They are thieves and want to get paid for their risk and goods.

He confirms about locks on the ground being sitting ducks (but then says best is rebar cemented in floor, weird) and big dogs of course...

I hate what he says about disk locks, those are my favorite, I also hate what he says about Lo-jack, I'll still get the XENA 110dB and GPS as I dunno if China thieves are that pro, let us hope not, cause they really sound like they'll get any bike they want anyways... And still u can't just get nothing cause they'll get it if they really want.

I'll also look into getting a removable clutch lever also cause it sounds easy and efficient.

I think GPS, 2 alarm disc locks, one braided cable, all high end, plus the steer lock of course is a fair setup, and I'm buying a Z250, not even a sports bike lol...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

8. #18 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I've never seen this in China, but have in several other "developing" countries ...

The kids on the sidewalks that you pay $1 for them to "watch" your bike. I always thought it was a protection scam (i.e., don't pay and they will call the thieves to come and pick up your bike), but I never had a bike stolen or screwed around with after I paid the kids.

Maybe in China we can offer those old guys free smokes and a little table (and 4 tiny stools) to play cards at, next to our bikes. Or 4 old women and a mahjong table.

9. #19 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    Great discussion guys, and great suggestions/reads too...

When looking for a parking spot around Beijing, I'd love to figure out a way to not have my chain lock just lying there on the ground, but am often left with no other options really... I suppose I could find a solid fence a kilometre away to lock my bike up to, but that kinda defeats the purpose a little, doesn't it?

10. #20 Re: Don't Trust Chinese Locks 
    I read a bit further regarding chains.

Seems we can forget about the fughetaboutit, and most other brands actually.

Check this out:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=19

Now if someone wants to order one of them Almax chains in Shanghai, pls let me know cause I want one too but don't own a credit card...
    Georges Brassens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast