Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    Hey guys, Im new to Beijing and the motorcycle community. Curious if anyone in Beijing is interested in meeting up for some coffee or beer/chuar and sharing some info.

I've read quite a few of the posts already on everything from getting legal documentation to ride reports, but its quite a bit to take in and seems to be changing regularly. Plus I figure itd be nicer to meet someone with some more experience and chat it up over some beer than sift through pages and pages of threads.

Cheers!

2. #2 Re: Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome to the Beijing community!

There is a regular Tuesday night meeting starting up in Sanlitun ...

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post57856

3. #3 Re: Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    Thanks Lao Jia Hou, will check it out.

4. #4 Re: Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    hi guys,

I'm coming to China next month and after getting my license I would like to buy a Chinese made Benelli TNT600.

Are there problems with my plan and how much am I looking at ?

Cheers

PS: I will meet up for beers but there are many bridges to cross before that happens....

5. #5 Re: Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyzhenchen View Post
    hi guys,

I'm coming to China next month and after getting my license I would like to buy a Chinese made Benelli TNT600.

I am not an expert on this bike but I have seen it in the wild in BJ and in many shops. So it should be ok to get it plated. A friend knows a friend who rides one and says it is a great and fast bike. price is (I heard) something like 32.000. Community: correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

PS: I will meet up for beers but there are many bridges to cross before that happens....
    you mean this one:http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...hlight=qijiang

I am not an expert on this bike but I have seen it in the wild in BJ and in many shops. So it should be ok to get it plated. A friend knows a friend who rides one and says it is a great and fast bike. price is (I heard) something like 32.000 naked/35.000 with B-plate. Community: correct me if I am wrong!
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

6. #6 Re: Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyzhenchen View Post
    hi guys,
    Cheers
    Get your drivers license first with motorcycle endorsement, so you can be legal and obtain the compulsory third party insurance & license plate in YOUR name. A new BJ600/QJ600 will set you back 40K+ (remember to add 8.5% tax to the MSRP on a new bike). You might be lucky to find the odd used/second hand one for around the mid thirties. With so few legal mid and large displacement bikes on offer the prices hold pretty firm - but look carefully at any second hand bike, plate, transferability, scrap date (yes, bikes have a registration period of between 9-11 years depending on locale, after which the bike cannot be plated). Keep in mind that so long as you are here legally, gainfully employed with the correct residence and work visa, you can get a vehicle (be it a bike or car) in your name. Don't let any local tell you otherwise. There are companies that offer vehicles (bikes included) with the registration in a locals name on the premise that it's easier or that a foreigner can't legally own a bike or register it in a foreign name, or that the foreigner lives within some boundary or other that precludes bike ownership/registration (even if this might be the case, there are other methods around the issue) or some other tall story. Just be warned... there are plenty of scams!

A guy in BJ nearly 6 months ago, bought a supposed legal JH600 in BJ, through some company that convinced the foreigner to have the bike plated in a name of the companies choosing. It was a turn key type solution for the foreigner. He just paid cash, and rode away on the bike, complete with documents & insurance in a locals name (arranged via the company). Later when he tried to sell, that's when all the fun began...

Anyway welcome to the club, and the MCM madhouse...

7. #7 Re: Any Beijingers up for some coffee or beers? 
    Thanks for the info. Do I need to buy a number plate worth 40,000? I have seen forums where they discuss the high prices. I don't mind spending 40k on a bike but not a total of 80k. I'll be living in the Shunyi area if that helps.
    Last edited by tonyzhenchen; 07-21-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Needed to add extra info