Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    At the end of March this year I went on a small bike trip from Shenzhen through Fujian, Jiangxi and back into Guangdong through Hunan. For me it was a chance to put my brand new second hand JH600 through its paces but for Motokai it was the start of an epic trip to Guizhou to meet Milton and from there on to Yunnan and Sichuan.

Arrived at the shed at 9.30 to find a dead battery. There must be something draining power when it's not ridden for a while. It's fine overnight but not for a week, I think I'll have to start disconnecting the battery.

Finally left at 10.30, dropped by Winston’s to pick up gloves and then straight to Huiyang. It was absolutely pissing it down but the waterproofs and boots did a great job. Spent the night in the usual spot and ready to start the trip proper the next day.

Left at 7.20 and did well until bike konked out at a set of lights in Huidong. It refused to start but luckily there was a pikey bike shop nearby and after a new spark plug and new mirrors I was off again. Great roads for most of the day, even the shitty section before Baipenzhu reservoir has been finished. I was really lucky with the weather, didn't see a drop all day but saw some wet roads so I think I just lucked out.

Revisited the reservoir near Meizhou that Winston and I rode round in 2010 maybe, fantastic stuff. Then rode on to Longyan which is where Winston bought his CB400. I'm gonna go and meet those guys for dinner now and see if I can procure a better spark plug.

500 kms today, 550 total.

Went for dinner and a nightclub with the Longyan crew, got pretty shitfaced and ended up arm wrestling! Went to Xiaohuan's shop and he gave me a hgk iridium spark plug for free, what a champion!

IMAG0909.jpg
    All loaded up and ready to go

IMAG0911.jpg
    Northern Guangdong near the Fujian border

IMAG0917.jpg
    The Longyan bike crew have some serious wheels - CBR

IMAG0919.jpg
    Ninja 600 streetfighter

IMAG0921.jpg
    This BMW 1100 was for sale but a little out of my price range
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 02:39 PM.

2. #2 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    IMAG0924.jpg
    KTM 640cc - what a great bike for China

IMAG0925.jpg
    Out with the Longyan guys

IMAG0927.jpg
    This was the hot DJ at the club

IMAG0930.jpg
    This dancer wasn't bad either but had a voice like a cat being strangled!

IMAG0933.jpg
    The morning after the night before and Xiaohuan fixes my leaky drain pug with some thread tape
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.

3. #3 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    IMAG0934.jpg
    This is Xiaohuans shop. If you ever need a guy to fix a foreign or Chinese bike in Fujian he is your man

IMAG0935.jpg
    His ninja

IMAG0939.jpg
    A better shot of his ninja, a 600 I think

CIMG1103.jpg
    Xiaohuan rode with me out of town and then pulled some sick ass wheelies on the ninja!
    Check it out on youku:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTcxNjM3NDA4.html
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.

4. #4 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    Got up early enough but decided against the scenic 500 km route to Nanping in favour of a more direct and hangover friendly 307 kms. Hit the breakfast buffet hard enough to skip lunch today then found I was running low on oil. It must've dripped out of the drain plug during the ride yesterday as there was only a little patch under the bike. Went to Xiaohuan's shop and see what could be done and he managed to fix the leak with thread tape. I was able to leave at 10.30 am but not before Xiaohuan put on a wheelie show on his ninja 600 on the outskirts of town.

The rain started at 1 pm and didn’t stop for the rest of the day, there were some great roads and scenery but too wet to enjoy unfortunately. I stopped in Nanping at 4 to fix the broken latch on my topbox then met Craig at hotel he found. We went out and found some cheap places for a few beers and Craig was busy drying out all his riding gear that had got soaked. He was particularly pissed off about the ‘waterproof’ boots he’d been sold in Shanghai!

CIMG1106.jpg
    At the engineering shop where this guy kindly let me use his tools to try and fix my topbox

IMAG0944.jpg
    Out with Craig on the first night in Nanping - the girl in yellow had the hots for Motokai and called him over

We left at 9 ish, and arrived at Chongren in Jiangxi at 7 pm having ridden 420kms. The roads were great all day, mainly fast sweepers and Craig’s GPS tracker logged a max speed of 140. It’s a really nice piece of kit that calls him if his bike moves as well as logging route and riding data.
    Craig’s bike had a leaky radiator and he was topping it up all day, we think a rock may have been thrown up and damaged it somehow. My topbox is still half broken and I’ve been trying to bodge on some metal strips to act as a latch.
    Google maps took us through some great village roads and a tiny bamboo forest path that was totally overgrown but great fun. We went out for some excellent and very spicy stir fried street food in Chongren and the receptionist seemed to take a shine to Craig. The next morning she seemed to ask to have his babies during check out!

IMAG0945.jpg
    Craig pulls again! This time with a lady with a rather DPRK fashion sense!

IMAG0948.jpg
    I don't know what to say, I just can't compete with Craig when it comes to his animal sex appeal

IMAG0949.jpg
    At a truck stop where Craig bout some fluid for topping up his jialing
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 02:54 PM.

5. #5 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    mmexport1371395507805.jpg
    The hotel in Nanping - king of the castle, king of the castle

IMAG0950.jpg
    A spot of lunch Sir?

IMAG0951.jpg
    My first attempt at repairing the top box. The latch had snapped off and I installed a piece of window frame which wasn't up to the job...

IMAG0952.jpg
    ...so I reinforced it with some steel which kinda worked
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 03:27 PM.

6. #6 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    1st April

It starts raining as we set off…great. There was a brand new bridge crossing a large river which bikes weren’t allowed to use but the thoughtful local government provided a free ferry which was running constantly. We were the major attraction on the ferry crossing which was fun but things quickly turned sour as the road on the other side of the river was absolute hell. In the end Craig suggested we sneak on the gaosu and I was only too happy to agree. It was tipping down with rain and we knocked off a quick 175 kms before exiting at Pingxiang. After a quick lunch and trouser adjustment we were off again to meet my mate from yingang ‘Bamboo’ who is a first rate engineer and the only man who we thought could deal with Craig’s leaky radiator.
    Bamboo lives in Xiangtan just south of Changsha and we were very close in a small town called Zhuzhou when Craig noticed my rear tyre looked a bit flat. After closer inspection it became clear I’d badly dinged the rim in a few places and that we were going to be held up for a while. I managed to beat the rim straight and luckily Craig had a proper spare tube as the one I was carrying definitely wasn’t up to the job. I think we were there for a couple of hours and we successfully halted production at the factory we were using as a rain shelter. The boss and many of the workers came out to watch and were not shy in offering advice, mainly ‘give up, there’s no way you’ll get that back on there!’ Fortunately I did and we continued on to eventually meet Bamboo at about 5 pm. And what a welcome! A big thank you to Bamboo and the rest of the yingang riders who came out to meet us! There were 7 yingang 250 riders in total who were a little disappointed to see I was riding a jialing (what a traitor I am!). The guys were a mixed bunch, a group of teachers, engineers and salesmen who shared a passion for bikes, especially yingang and after taking us out for some great Hunan cuisine we went to Bamboo’s friend’s bike shop. I had mistakenly thought that Bamboo had set up his own shop after leaving yingang but actually he now has a completely different career and was just helping us out of the goodness of his heart. Bamboo and his friend had the JH stripped down to nothing in what looked like record time despite having never worked on one. In fact the fan had chewed a chunk out of the back of the radiator and they took it off to get welded in about half a dozen places. The guys found us a great hotel nearby the shop and really couldn’t have been better hosts. I really can’t thank all the Xiangtan yingang riders enough, beers on me when you come to Shenzhen!!

IMAG0953.jpg
    Some light relief for Craig - note the odd position of road marker!

IMAG0961.jpg
    We were already very popular with the locals on this Jiangxi ferry crossing

IMAG0963.jpg
    But Craig putting in his contacts was possibly the most exciting thing to hit this town in years

IMAG0967.jpg
    Don't you love a river scene? The peacefulness, the clean air ...

IMAG0969.jpg
    Haters keep hatin', players keep rollin'
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.

7. #7 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    mmexport1371395515358.jpg
    In a hamlet somewhere in Jiangxi

IMAG1089.jpg
    I've lost some weight recently and the restaurant owner adjusted my leathers while I had my noodles. Honestly that's what happened!

IMAG1104.jpg
    One of the dents in my rim

IMAG1110.jpg
    Some gentle persuasion and all was well
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 03:28 PM.

8. #8 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    IMAG1102.jpg
    More tyre change action - I hate inner tubes

IMAG0978.jpg
    2 of the yingang bike club who gave us such a fantastic welcome in Xiangtan

IMAG0979.jpg
    Thanks for the fantastic dinner guys, I hope to be able to return the favour one day

IMAG0986.jpg
    Craig's welded up radiator - an very tricky job completed in next to no time
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 03:14 PM.

9. #9 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    IMAG0976.jpg
    Bamboo and his ride with stainless panniers

IMAG0982.jpg
    Getting down to it on Craig's JH

IMAG0987.jpg
    If jialing had a GP team these guys should be in the pits!
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 03:18 PM.

10. #10 Re: Southern China Loop on JH600s 
    mmexport1371389922391.jpg
    Much laughter at my expense - probably a lack of trousers
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 06-16-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast