Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ View Post
    Jeezus, that looks like the set up for a dramatic explosion in a bad action movie.
    Hitchcock's "The Birds" has a memorable scene where gasoline from a dropped spigot is flowing downhill and a guy gets out of his car, unwittingly steps right into the stream of petrol and -- being a guy in the 1960s -- just has to light up a cigarette. Everyone's shouting "look out! don't drop the match!" but he is confused and does precisely that. Shot on location in Bodega, in my home county of Sonoma.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Are you kidding? We had lots of fun playing with petrol as kids, and never blew ourselves or anyone else up. That's because we knew what we were doing. Education these days is sadly lacking from parents. Oh, and the stuff we had was the good old leaded variety without all that toluene and benzene muck (carcinogens). If you want a decent explosion, use an explosive. If you can locate some sodium chlorate, I can show you how to make a decent fire cracker...

3. #13 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Was at my least favorite station (see above) yesterday, filling up my GW. Its location is convenient, and often not busy. Anyways, it was a smiley day - they didn't ask for anything. And they even filled up an unplated R9 at the next pump.

Consistency, yeah, that's the key.

4. #14 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    So in China they force motorcycles to use an aluminum kettle at service stations, but they don't in any other country in the world......

This means logically....

a. China is a very clever country, in China they know much more about safety than any other country.
    b. Chinese fuel station managers are stupid and don't have a clue about what is safe or unsafe.

Pick one..........

5. #15 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    So in China they force motorcycles to use an aluminum kettle at service stations, but they don't in any other country in the world......

This means logically....

a. China is a very clever country, in China they know much more about safety than any other country.
    b. Chinese fuel station managers are stupid and don't have a clue about what is safe or unsafe.

Pick one..........

Thats a hard one but i think i will go with B

6. #16 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Thats a hard one but i think i will go with B
    Unless it is your wife or her family asking these questions then the correct answer is A

7. #17 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    It is in fact a demoralising mixture of stupidity and apathy.

Someone important who's never ridden a bike hears an anecdote one day of a bike catching fire or whatever and decides that teapots are the solution. The law passes because because no one involved has ever ridden a bike, probably never even had to fill up their own fuel.

Everyone below follows blindly because they don't care and it's not their problem. You can't yell at the petrol station attendant that it's stupid, because he doesn't care and he's just covering his arse. You can't yell at the station manager that it's nonsensical because he doesn't care and he's just covering his arse. You can't yell at whoever's above him because etc...

Those who could change the stupid law won't benefit financially from doing it, and since no one cares apart from a few insignificant riders, it will never change.

8. #18 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    It is in fact a demoralising mixture of stupidity and apathy.

Someone important who's never ridden a bike hears an anecdote one day of a bike catching fire or whatever and decides that teapots are the solution. The law passes because because no one involved has ever ridden a bike, probably never even had to fill up their own fuel.

Everyone below follows blindly because they don't care and it's not their problem. You can't yell at the petrol station attendant that it's stupid, because he doesn't care and he's just covering his arse. You can't yell at the station manager that it's nonsensical because he doesn't care and he's just covering his arse. You can't yell at whoever's above him because etc...

Those who could change the stupid law won't benefit financially from doing it, and since no one cares apart from a few insignificant riders, it will never change.
    This is why in the west we have 1%er bike gangs. Bad fucking attitude and don't take shit. Someone tries the kettle routine in the west and they'd soon be 'clued in'.

9. #19 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have a sinopec gas card that i keep topped up with 2 or 3 hundred rmb. Just stick the card in, dial the pin and you're good to go! I fuel up at the pump this way around 8pm when it's quiet and there are only 2 staff in the station. When they tell me (in Chinese) that I "...have to use the kettle" I tell them (in English) "Wrong; it's dangerous!" to which they walk away because that idiot foreigner isn't worth loosing face over; "Let him burn himself" I might have heard one of them say .

10. #20 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    If a gas card was linked to a drivers licenses and registration, then there could be stations that only accepted that card for fueling and regulated through rule based criteria, eliminating the problems systemically.
    Then as long as everything is in order access is granted to the fueling system. The required linked information imbedded on the card, the vehicle itself would have an RFID the pump would pick up its signal and then the card would validate the registered insured owner of the vehicle. The ideal system would validate the vehicle by a signal exchange from the inserting of the nozzle into the vehicle. That would prevent using it outside of the rule system. Such a system would report consumption, it could even upload data like diagnostics, if the vehicle had a smart chip, most modern bikes do.

Such a system would eventually systemically reduces waste and pollution and also make it impossible to operate a vehicle illegally.

This is the future, the issue for this generation is accepting it and or what events will transpire before you accept it? I suspect that sensationalism coupled with ignorance, fueled by paranoia will bring about instances that make some desire accountability system more and more.

Privacy is what you do in room alone with the door closed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast