Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by crismoe' View Post
    ...On the other hand, what were you thinking dude?:) everyone knows huaihai is a "no go" for us road manace
    Actually, I hate riding in the city and do so very rarely. The bicycle is soooo much better suited to urban Shanghai. Somehow I had Nanjing Lu and Huaihai Lu reversed in my head. There's really no logic at all to which roads permit motorbikes and which don't. TIC.

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #42 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    There's really no logic at all to which roads permit motorbikes and which don't. TIC.

euphonius

3. #43 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I know they're screwing with me ... but I can't figure out their game plan.

This last weekend, I went to refill at my least favourite station. This is a station not far from my home, where they ask you to prove your DL identity by stripping and showing identifying marks/tattoos. Well, not really, but they are notorious for being unfriendly to motorcycles ... and questioning whether your DL/Blue Book is indeed genuine.

So, I pull into the station which is busy, as usual, with several cars lined up waiting their turn.

The attendant comes running over to me (I assume he is going to tell me to get lost), and he waves me over to a clear lane that has an Orange Traffic Cone in the middle (preventing cars from using it). It is the preferred lane closest to the cashier/store. Nice.

As I approach the lane, I notice a large, professionally made sign saying "Motorcycles Only." Pinch pinch, am I dreaming?

My riding buddy-ess chats up the attendant and discovers that this is something new the station is trying out. Seriously? Really? Or are you just toying with us?

Incredibly, as we are filling up our little scooters, a massive Toyota SUV pulls up to the cone and starts screaming at the attendants to let him into this free lane. His demand was denied (actually, the attendants just ignored him until he caved and forced his way into the next lane, cutting the queue).

Later, discussing this very strange event over coffee, we wondered if this is somehow related to online reports of gas stations having plain-clothes policemen positioned at gas stations, nabbing unlicensed riders & unplated/fake-plated bikes when the rider was off the bike and the bike was turned off. We didn't see anything unusual, aside from the entire surreal situation of motorcycle riders being treated like Party Officials. We were both very skeptical that somehow this gas station has decided to become motorcycle friendly.

The plate/DL registration book was at the pump, but we simply filled it out ourselves, without anyone asking to see either of our actual DLs or Blue Books. OMG, really? The honor system with a motorcyclist?

Something ain't right.

4. #44 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Not to worry regular Gestapo programming will resume shortly... milk (suckle) it while it lasts. mmmmmwaaaahhh hahahahaha!

5. #45 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Something odd has been happening in the petrol stations outside the special economic zone here in SZ, basically they don't care about me filling up with my bike, but when I arrive in my car they refuse to fill it up, they insist that I do it myself, they even prep the pump then hand me the nozzle and wait till I've filled up, then take it back from me..... they utterly refuse to actually put the petrol in... it's bizarre

6. #46 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post
    Something odd has been happening in the petrol stations outside the special economic zone here in SZ, basically they don't care about me filling up with my bike, but when I arrive in my car they refuse to fill it up, they insist that I do it myself, they even prep the pump then hand me the nozzle and wait till I've filled up, then take it back from me..... they utterly refuse to actually put the petrol in... it's bizarre

Maybe the staff are new! and not been trained how to use the pumps yet
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #47 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Maybe the staff are new! and not been trained how to use the pumps yet
    Nope, same people who used to fill my car.. and it's not just because I am a foreigner, all the locals too...

8. #48 Re: Beijing gas station refueling 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post

Make the most of it...

Not to worry regular Gestapo programming will resume shortly... milk (suckle) it while it lasts. mmmmmwaaaahhh hahahahaha!

A subscriber of mine has just had his CB400 confiscated by the police in Beijing while filling up. Apparently while fillng up(using a fake plate) a cop car drove right up to him, they took his keys and told him to report to a nearby station with his papers...

C-Moto Regular
    Just filled motorcycle only pump near WangJing dude in his X6 behind screaming. Lost his shit. Yelled at everyone and refused to move. Staff refused to fill his bmw. Funny as shit.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast