Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Your favourite Chinese dual-sport? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am looking to do a motorbike trip in Xinjiang in the Autumn. I was going to buy a dual-sport bike once in China. Does anybody have any recommendations for their favourite Chinese dual-sport (probably a 250cc). What are the strong/weak points of your favourite? Cheers.

Carl will tell you all about the Qingqi, and it sounds pretty solid for what you are looking to do with it. I know there is a thread on advrider.com from a member who rode into China on a Zongshen, and had so many problems with it, he bought a Qingqi, and finished the trip (after getting hit by a car and put into the hospital, and getting the bike back on the road) and rode it home to where he lives in Thailand. I think he might even still have it and ride it. Carl knows him, too, and should be able to dig up the thread.

Can't answer this question, as Chinese motorcycle manufacturer's dealers and factories very rarely allow any test rides, this makes comparisons impossible unless you happen to know loads of people with dual-sports bikes!

I bought CrazyCarl's QingQi 200 dualsport during our trip, and then sold it to Brice for his trip. Each of us put about 6000 kilometers on that bike without too many problems.

No matter which brand you buy, the most important thing is giving yourself a few days to tweak the ride for the journey. Get a good set of tires ($65 USD), O-ring chain ($25 USD) and replace whatever junk comes stock on the bike. Change the oil every 2500 km, check the spokes and chain adjustment every day. Grab an extra tube, tire repair kit, clutch/brake levers, oil filter, and spark plugs, probably another $25 USD total. For less than $150 USD in modifications, you will have a much safer bike and the necessary parts for roadside repair. Try to work with the mechanic while you mod the bike so you get familiar with it.

The Chinese bikes are pretty simple, almost every town with a population over fifty will have a motorcycle shop that will go above and beyond to help you out.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

As everyone else will attest my favorite is the QingQi but there are other bikes available in China worth looking at like the Shinerays. The bike you get will largely depends on what's available in the area you plan to purchase the bike. The domestic distribution of bike from the manufacturers isn't as consistent or well run as we'd like it to be so the city you choose to start your ride from will be important!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

wuming, Carl is correct in that there are other brands to look into (and correct in what is available, and where--I have never been to China, so take his word as gospel) such as Shineray. They have a very nice looking 250 dual sport on their website. Supersignet has their adventure-tourer thingy (I haven't been on mychinamoto a while, so don't know the status of his bike lately) which is worth looking into if it's stout enough.

The Qingqi, from all the people who own them and have written about them here and on different forums, would seem to be the one I put on the top of my shopping list, however, if I was planning such a trip. But I do like the look of the Shinerays, too, and that brand would probably be second on my list to look into, although the cheap guy I am, whoever had the best deal between the two while I was shopping would be the one I owned.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I will look into the QingQi; but please keep the suggestions coming. Ta.

Change the oil every 2500 km
    Does the Qingqi have an oil filter?

9. #9 Zongshen Zipstar LZXM200GY-2 
    Quote Originally Posted by wuming View Post
    I am looking to do a motorbike trip in Xinjiang in the Autumn. I was going to buy a dual-sport bike once in China. Does anybody have any recommendations for their favourite Chinese dual-sport (probably a 250cc). What are the strong/weak points of your favourite? Cheers.
    I would encourage you to consider the Zongshen Zipstar LZXM200GY-2. A married couple bought two of these motorcycles last summer and rode them across China and Mongolia.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371656

I own the United States equivalent of this motorcycle, the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2. I have ridden over 8,500 miles on my motorcycle, and it has always performed flawlessly.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468

Strong Points of the Zongshen:
    The Zongshen is inexpensive and solidly constructed. As the story on Advrider attests, it should be ready to start on your adventure right after it comes out of the shipping crate.

Weak Points of the Zongshen:
    This motorcycle has a small fuel tank (approximately 2.0 U.S. gallons). Also, you are very limited in your choice of dual sport tires. The only DOT knobby tire available for the rear wheel is the Kingstone 130/90-15 supplied by Zongshen.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Does the Qingqi have an oil filter?
    Yes it has one. Same as many 125cc Chinese bikes and specifically Suzuki.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast