Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The Beijing Traffic Management Bureau has announced (June 20, 2013) that effective immediately, it will begin a crackdown on motorcycles.

Here is what one online translator provides:

For summer motorcycle traffic offense and the characteristics of high incidence of accidents and the recent phenomenon of the masses of illegal motorcycle reflect the strong, effective immediately, the traffic control department will conduct a citywide motorcycle traffic offense focus on remediation special action by the three joint logistics linkage order to strengthen scientific and technological track down, increasing media publicity and other measures, to strengthen the social aspects of security management and control posture, increase the comprehensive remediation efforts to combat illegal motorcycle.

Comprehensive remediation illegal motorcycle off climax

Law enforcement on the road recently, we found that there are very few who ignore traffic laws and regulations, driving a motorcycle without a license, driving license involving motorcycles, and even some motorcyclists who disregard the safety of others, wanton drag racing or running a red light, a serious threat to people's lives and property, disruption of normal traffic order. To this end, I will be combined with the recent road traffic characteristics and traffic offense situation, the masses of motorcycles and other serious illegal conduct concentrated crackdown on traffic violations, according to adopt a "penalty, buckle, arrest" high-limit penalties, for the people to create a safe trip orderly, harmonious and stable road traffic environment.

The main features of motorcycle traffic violations and hazards

This year (as of June 15, 2013), the city involving a motorcycle injury, death of 27 people from the accident, 10 injured, killed 28 people. With the arrival of summer, the motorcycle traffic offense has entered a period of high, mainly in the following five characteristics:

1) the driver awareness of the law, affect road traffic order. A motorcycle driver is not wearing a helmet, in violation of the limit line, driving without a license, permission to drive does not match the red light, retrograde, overcrowding and other serious violations are more common, and motorcycles with a lightweight, flexible driving characteristics, a considerable part of the motorcycle drivers are less aware of the traffic law to enter Restriction area roads, as well as non-motor vehicle lane to enter illegally, new lights and other illegal cross the line more prominent, seriously affect the normal traffic order.

2) security is poor, endangering road safety. Compared motorcycle and automotive, mobile, braking, poor little protection devices, security is poor, as soon as a red light, speeding, illegal and lines and other illegal traffic accidents, the driver and passengers can easily cause serious injury. Especially in the outer suburbs, without obtaining a driver's license while driving a motorcycle on the road, on the road without registration, illegal manned, and are not required to wear safety helmets and other illegal phenomenon is relatively common, prone to accidents causing casualties .

3) market disorder, some vehicles do not meet national standards. As the production, marketing and other areas of the source of regulation is not in place, a considerable part of the production of motorcycles without state permission to enter the circulation, especially electric two, three motorcycle without a license plate that is on the road to apply for the issue more prominent presence of hidden dangers.

4) the motorcycle traffic offense infested with criminal acts. Motorcycle road traffic violations lead to chaotic traffic while unlicensed motorcycles, modification motorcycles on the road and other offenses also infested with motorcycle robbery, robbery and other criminal activities, social security hazard.

5) maneuverability is strong, easy to evade inspection. Motorcycle with a small, strong mobility, etc., in case of police on duty stopped and checked, some people avoid punishment illegal motorcyclists are often forced to take accelerated red card, turn around and leave the other ways to avoid detection, to itself and enforcement bring some personnel safety hazards.

I have a number of measures thorough motorcycle violations bureau

All along, I will be in motorcycle traffic violations as traffic management a top priority. This operation, I will be taking a number of measures rigorous motorcycle violations.

1) advantage of everyday jobs, increase motorcycle illegal remediation efforts. The traffic branch, police brigade road junctions will rely on demonstration, Strict Avenue, law enforcement teams, trucks card control posts and other road patrol duty forces, the main street in the city, key sections of the loop and the main entrances and other key areas Attractions set up a special track down jobs and take advantage of "punishment, buckle, arrests" and other means of enforcement, should be punished according to law the high limit.

2) relying on three order joint logistics platform comprehensively improving road management and control efforts. I will be relying on the city's "traffic, security, the environment," the three major order rectification joint logistics teams, trucks card control post, drunk night Chagang, demonstrations and other special rectification intersection Gang Gang and other forces, comprehensively strengthen the motorcycle ran a red light on the road, driving Restriction into the area without a license on the road, not wearing a helmet and other traffic violations enforcement management to ensure that the road management and control efforts.

3) is to strengthen science and technology track down, give full play to advantages of management and control network coverage. I will be in full use of television monitoring system on a motorcycle illegal for video inspection, once discovered, real-time surveillance for the road police in the investigation. At the same time, increase the motorcycle illegal high time, route real-time monitoring, recording, to ensure timely detection and the first time to notify the police road block punishment dealt to maximize efficiency.

4) will cooperate with investigators, police and other departments in the fight against "riding grab" special action. I will be actively cooperate with the criminal investigation, patrol, police and other departments to carry out joint operations by the traffic police intercepted the vehicle and traffic violations be punished by the public security, patrol force on the driver, the passenger and carry-examine suspicious objects, nuclear recorded , and the penalties for public order offenses, a comprehensive effort to increase the deterrent.

==========
    Here is the link in Chinese:

http://www.bjjtgl.gov.cn/publish/por.../info47759.htm

Any MCM members with better translation abilities?

2. #2 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    I've recently been searching for a couple of bikes to buy - and found a few nice B-plated (company registration) bikes. A quick check of the Traffic Management Branch website (plate number and engine number) displayed that the bikes had LOTS of points and fines on them, all done by traffic cameras. One 2 month old bike had 9 points and 600 rmb in fines. According to an agent I use often, camera fines/points for motorcycles were almost non-existent pre-2011, but have been gradually increasing. According to the above announcement, it appears that the frequency of camera penalties on motorcycles will continue this upward trend.

Here's where you check ...

http://www.bjjtgl.gov.cn/publish/portal0/tab41/

For me, it seems only Internet Explorer works (Firefox & Chrome do not)

Because I am such a good boy, my bikes are all clean. BTW, did you know that the very pretty policewoman at the Beijing TMB counter will give you a free cookie if your DL is clean? Happened twice to me! They are only OREOs, but still ... nice gesture!

Of course, MCM members who ride with me already know that I would never speed, split lanes, ride in the emergency lane/bus lane/bicycle lane or run a light. Yup ... that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

3. #3 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Of course, MCM members who ride with me already know that I would never speed, split lanes, ride in the emergency lane/bus lane/bicycle lane or run a light. Yup ... that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    That's the reason IMO that it is important to understand how speed and red light detection cameras work, and the different methodolgies used in the design of the same. I'm always mindful to take avoidance measures when riding near such devices and attempt to convince my riding buddies to do the same. If they don't capture you on film making a transgression irrespective of whether or not any infringement is generated, then the better off we are all, for it. Conversely the more bike riders are found to be violating the law, the more likely it is that infringments, fines and points will be imposed - which is not that case in all locations, areas or regions of China. Just one of the reason why I prefer to ride any one of my motorcycles here on any given day, than driving my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    That's the reason IMO that it is important to understand how speed and red light detection cameras work, and the different methodolgies used in the design of the same. I'm always mindful to take avoidance measures when riding near such devices and attempt to convince my riding buddies to do the same.
    Do share :-)

5. #5 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by themicah View Post
    Do share :-)
    Sure, it's been discussed previously...
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ne-way-streets

6. #6 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Here is a map that apparently shows where key enforcement points will be:

Looks like the CBD, Lido, Sanlitun areas have a disproportionate number of points. Damn.

7. #7 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    C-Moto Regular
    I got stopped in a check point .... I took of my helmet saw I was a foreigner .. Let me go. Had 3 Chinese guys on two scooters and a motorcycle in cuffs.

8. #8 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    C-Moto Regular
    28 deaths with a city of how many million..... Not bad. Maybe driver safety common sense and understanding what a blind spot is..... Ohh throw in being accountable a sense community and common sense.... Enforce the no driving cell phone law first. Just saying.., so many things wrong in this third world nation ... The one thing that can make the city move faster.... They decide to come hard down on. No transit after a certain hour cabbies trying to enforce their own pricing structure after the metro closes ..many locals can only afford these illegal methods for transportation.
    Foreigners will not be the ones suffering .....locals will. First government official son on his illegal Harley or Duccatti that gets pulled over and then his father loses his shit on the police officer will end this.

9. #9 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernalpanx View Post
    Foreigners will not be the ones suffering .....locals will.
    You seem to be correct about that - I have also been stopped (twice on one journey - Guangqumen Qiao & Shuangjng Qiao) and then waved on as soon as I lifted the helmet (although they did take notice of the A plate, pointing at it). I saw several bikes pulled aside with what appeared to be unhappy riders sitting on the curb. I didn't stop and watch, as that struck me as too tacky. I wanted to, though.

Chinese forums are quite active discussing this crackdown. This crackdown has the new twist of traffic camera penalties, and people are commenting on getting fined for B plates inside the 4th ring road, caught by traffic cam. Seems it is 100 rmb fine and no points, by camera, although it could potentially be 200 rmb and 3 points.

10. #10 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    You seem to be correct about that - I have also been stopped (twice on one journey - Guangqumen Qiao & Shuangjng Qiao) and then waved on as soon as I lifted the helmet (although they did take notice of the A plate, pointing at it). I saw several bikes pulled aside with what appeared to be unhappy riders sitting on the curb. I didn't stop and watch, as that struck me as too tacky. I wanted to, though.

Chinese forums are quite active discussing this crackdown. This crackdown has the new twist of traffic camera penalties, and people are commenting on getting fined for B plates inside the 4th ring road, caught by traffic cam. Seems it is 100 rmb fine and no points, by camera, although it could potentially be 200 rmb and 3 points.
    A very good friend at PSB told me this is about the 3000 stolen scooters and motorcycles stolen this year more then about the deaths.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast