Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    C-Moto Regular
    I had my plate under my seat when I got pulled over. They never asked for it.

2. #12 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    C-Moto Regular
    Happened again... Got pulled over saw I was foreigner and let me go... No questions.

3. #13 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Pirate convention was busted last night in Beijing ...

http://www.hoghd.cn/viewthread.php?t...extra=page%3D1

Seeing more of this, and hearing about more bike seizures, 10-15 days free room & board, etc.

4. #14 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    C-Moto Regular
    the duration and intensity of this crackdown is actually kind of surprising to me at this point - especially given that there doesn't seem to be much of a public "campaign" going on at this point.
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

C-Moto Regular
    Smuggled bikes

6. #16 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    <rant> ...

Honestly, I just don't understand.

People who get their illegal bikes seized seem to be able to get them back if they pay fines ranging from 2,000 - 5,000 rmb. This isn't graft, as the "owners" get official receipts from the police. I know a few guys whose bikes were seized, they went to the impound lot, paid the fines, and drove the bikes away. The bikes still had the fake plates on them. Seriously, WTF is going on? The bikes were obviously smuggled into China yet, once here, they seem to be ok? It is a joke, China - you not only have lost face, you have egg all over it.

Driving with no DL, however, is entirely different - there seems to be a very strict "administrative detention" rule in place.

Over the years, though, what I have been seeing is increasing backlash from local Chinese about the perceived "bad-foreigner" and the "special treatment" foreigners are believed to receive. A local "biker gang" in Beijing (made up of foreigners) is notorious for riding illegal bikes, drinking & riding, and breaking every traffic rule in the book ("look at us - we're bad ass tough guys - aren't we cool?"). I've heard so many negative comments from local Chinese about these guys, and now reading threads on Chinese forums about their drinking & driving antics, that these clowns have become a serious embarrassment. Compounding the backlash, most of these clowns have Chinese girlfriends .... imagine how well THAT goes over with the local Chinese boys! Sadly, they still seem to attract FOB foreigners who want to hang out with the cool gang (like the new kid in High School who wants to make friends with the "in-crowd").

Beijing has a reputation of being a strict, government town. Yet it can't get a handle on these illegal bikes. I really don't understand this, at all. Beijing needs to take a lesson, or two, from Western police forces ... you ride a smuggled (probably stolen) bike, and you can certainly wave bye-bye to it (permanently), as well as several other penalties. Be a Chinese guy in Vancouver on a tourist visa, drunk on an illegal bike, breaking traffic laws, and see how you're dealt with. Trust me, it won't be pretty.

</rant>

PS: I was stopped the other day, asked for my DL, and the cop was actually quite an asshole towards me as soon as he saw I was a foreigner. That would have NEVER happened a few years ago - I had ALWAYS found the Beijing traffic police to be excessively polite and professional. They'd even salute me after giving me a ticket (it helped sooth the pain). I think the typical street-cop has finally had enough, too. He/she probably wishes the bosses would do something serious. Must be a frustrating job.

C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    <rant> ...

People who get their illegal bikes seized seem to be able to get them back if they pay fines ranging from 2,000 - 5,000 rmb. This isn't graft, as the "owners" get official receipts from the police. I know a few guys whose bikes were seized, they went to the impound lot, paid the fines, and drove the bikes away. The bikes still had the fake plates on them. Seriously, WTF is going on? The bikes were obviously smuggled into China yet, once here, they seem to be ok? It is a joke, China - you not only have lost face, you have egg all over it.

Driving with no DL, however, is entirely different - there seems to be a very strict "administrative detention" rule in place.

Over the years, though, what I have been seeing is increasing backlash from local Chinese about the perceived "bad-foreigner" and the "special treatment" foreigners are believed to receive. A local "biker gang" in Beijing (made up of foreigners) is notorious for riding illegal bikes, drinking & riding, and breaking every traffic rule in the book ("look at us - we're bad ass tough guys - aren't we cool?"). I've heard so many negative comments from local Chinese about these guys, and now reading threads on Chinese forums about their drinking & driving antics, that these clowns have become a serious embarrassment. Compounding the backlash, most of these clowns have Chinese girlfriends .... imagine how well THAT goes over with the local Chinese boys! Sadly, they still seem to attract FOB foreigners who want to hang out with the cool gang (like the new kid in High School who wants to make friends with the "in-crowd").

Beijing has a reputation of being a strict, government town. Yet it can't get a handle on these illegal bikes. I really don't understand this, at all. Beijing needs to take a lesson, or two, from Western police forces ... you ride a smuggled (probably stolen) bike, and you can certainly wave bye-bye to it (permanently), as well as several other penalties. Be a Chinese guy in Vancouver on a tourist visa, drunk on an illegal bike, breaking traffic laws, and see how you're dealt with. Trust me, it won't be pretty.

</rant>

PS: I was stopped the other day, asked for my DL, and the cop was actually quite an asshole towards me as soon as he saw I was a foreigner. That would have NEVER happened a few years ago - I had ALWAYS found the Beijing traffic police to be excessively polite and professional. They'd even salute me after giving me a ticket (it helped sooth the pain). I think the typical street-cop has finally had enough, too. He/she probably wishes the bosses would do something serious. Must be a frustrating job.
    I completely understand... i know which group you refer to.... it seems tbe fine mitigates the tax????? I love the tmax and Burgman.... i would have really enjoyed one.... but i bought what was legal... sometimes i wonder why i try.....

8. #18 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    <rant> ...

</rant>...
    ^Ditto...

The very reason I advocate with my riding posse (includes foreigners and Chinese mates) that we try to ride within the law. Don't run red lights in built up areas or high traffic areas, and if we do so (usually follow the leader) at least be curteous about it - stop first make sure the way is clear and it's safe to proceed. I still rather stop for the red but if we're riding in the pack then that can be difficult a position to maintain at times. When I ride alone which is the majority of the time, I'll almost always (98%) stop for the red light, even I'm often passed by other m/c's and all manner of two wheelers - and absolutely do so within the city limits unless its some time like 2am or some such. There are a few intersection controlled by traffic lights/signals in isolated areas where I pull to a crawl or complete stop then proceed when the way is clear, but these are far and few between and are far from the city limits.

As for all the different enforcement cameras whether that be red-light or fixed speed cameras (which are pretty much on every road here in these parts), I make it a habit to avoid triggering the sensors to these while riding, and all the regular riders in the "posse" have adopted this habit etc. The cameras here often employ electronic magnatic loops embedded in the roadway, which makes it somewhat easier to line ones bike in the appropriate position to avoid triggering said camera. If the camera is not activated then 'big brother' won't know. I found myself often chuckling to myself on the 'posse' rides as I watch my fellow posse members riding in positions to avoid triggering the various speed cameras or red light cameras as we often ride to the front of traffic queues at controlled intersections. Gloat to myself that I've made a difference (OK ego stroke over!).

The reason I take this position is that here motorcycles are generally not ticketed via the cameras, so it makes sense to still take an avoidance posture so as not to contribute to an increasing statistic that might act to change this enforcement approach. I realise too that this is rule is not the same everywhere in PRC, resulting in some motorcyclists/motorcycles being ticketed. This is pertinant since we do ride a couple or three long distance rides annually.

Also, I'm always mindful that I might stand out to other road users and therefore usually try not to draw undue attention to myself or add to any perception that locals might have towards a). motorcyclists, b). foreigners perceived as getting some special treatment c). being above the law d). or any combination thereof.

Added to that, I'm reflective how I do expect any visitor to my contry to behave and be treated etc., and act in accordance with the mindset here (I'm not above the law), to a large extent. Doesn't mean I ride completely 100% to the letter of the law, but do have very real consideration towards it. None of my bikes run 外地 nor 伪造/虚假 plates and all bikes have insurance and are inspected so I am as legal as I can be given the situation. Just sayin...

Social responsibility and awareness need to be exercised on all sides.

Bikes and bikers BJ Scene

9. #19 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Yet another recent thread on Chinese motorcycle forums.

Foreigners enjoy extra benefits

C-Moto Regular
    Some are complaining about the Chinese girl with him.. some complaining about his drinking ... others complain all foreigners are treated better then locals by Chinese... i know i get treated better because i treat others the way i want to be treated... as far as the chinese wife thing .... i get that all the time. Drinking and driving... 4 beers between two people while eating a meal.... over what period of time? If you are drunk... don't ride.... end if story ... but this whole complaining about foreigners.... on every board about China... not just motorcycles... one bad group does not effect all. As quoted by a poster.. this is a very small percentage of foreigners that act this way. In China they hate me because i am white.. in Canada they hate me because i am white and a racist... they have a win win mentality.... my Chinese wife nor my neighbors never call me a racist.. but when things are not in someone favour ... we are racists... end rant

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast