Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    C-Moto Regular
    Just an FYI Dali Yunnan is running a crack down as well in xiguan and old city.

2. #32 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Beijing TV (BTV) has reported that starting today (September 9, 2014) motorcycle enforcement will be strict.

Apparently, the last couple of weeks have been a "grace period" during which a public education campaign has been in effect. For example, over the holiday weekend that just ended, all of the electronic information boards on the Ring Roads have been constantly displaying "Motorcycles are forbidden on Ring Roads." Usually, these boards only display information about traffic jams, etc. It seems a little more serious than prior "crackdowns."

BTV also reports that traffic camera enforcement will be used on the Ring Roads, as well as for 京B plates within the 4th ring road.

3. #33 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Beijing TV (BTV) has reported that starting today (September 9, 2014) motorcycle enforcement will be strict.

Apparently, the last couple of weeks have been a "grace period" during which a public education campaign has been in effect. For example, over the holiday weekend that just ended, all of the electronic information boards on the Ring Roads have been constantly displaying "Motorcycles are forbidden on Ring Roads." Usually, these boards only display information about traffic jams, etc. It seems a little more serious than prior "crackdowns."

BTV also reports that traffic camera enforcement will be used on the Ring Roads, as well as for 京B plates within the 4th ring road.
    Unreasonable horseshit strikes again. I think it would be fun just to ride to Beijing and spend a day on the ring-roads just to annoy people.

4. #34 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Today (September 15):

In my neighborhood (Haidian, QingHe, YongTai neighborhood 海淀清河永泰园) police saturated the busiest intersection with at least a dozen cars and several flatbed trucks. They were stopping and checking motorcycles and electric tricycles (三轮车)and had loaded many vehicles onto the flatbeds, presumably impounding them. I thought it odd that many of the san lun che were mainstream delivery/courier vehicles (jd.com, SF, etc...). One flatbed had half a dozen R9 scooters loaded, all sharing one common feature: no number plates.

I wasn't brave enough to snap pictures, sorry!

The crackdown continues, so it seems. This affirms my endeavor to become fully licensed and legal before I dare ride on Beijing's streets. I think the consequences of a foreigner riding illiegally and being caught in that kind of a crackdown could be severe.

5. #35 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    This affirms my endeavor to become fully licensed and legal before I dare ride on Beijing's streets. I think the consequences of a foreigner riding illiegally and being caught in that kind of a crackdown could be severe.

Very wise .... i wish you well and hope you can get lincensed and legal soon
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #36 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Here are some pics of the "out in force" at Shuangjing, including a foreigner getting caught in the first pic:

Article: http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17900747_1.htm

7. #37 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    This happens in every city, even in my 3rd tier backwater. Of course usually only on one of the busiest intersections about once a month or so.

8. #38 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    As ZMC888 notes above, these crackdowns generally happen periodically. It's a cyclical phenomena... after a few weeks, the powers that be generally revert back to concentrating on other activities and the status quo oft' returns... happy days.
    Same phenomena takes place here from time to time too.
    Always good to know or be kept in the loop. However is it just me or do these crack downs seemingly occur around when the major holidays come round?

IMO better policing all round, and especially of eBikes would go a long way as would tougher requirements on said eBikes and the riders of the same.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-16-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #39 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    Yup, a semi-annual event, but best to let others know when it is "on" ... just in case one misses the Chinese language notifications. Best to be informed about what may lay around the next corner. Arrest, detention and perhaps deportation can make for a very bad day.

In Beijing, over the years, the campaigns have been plentiful, but IMHO they seem to be reaching a stricter application each year. I've heard the same from native Beijing riders. There was a recent public survey in Beijing, where >80% of respondents claimed 2 & 3 wheeled vehicles were the cause of many traffic woes. Despite the questionable validity, it demonstrates an overwhelming negative public attitude towards bikes.

Tangentially, I have noticed that many of the credible bike shops have greatly reduced the number of illegal bikes they deal in. I'm unsure if that is due to market forces, or the occasional police visit.

The idiots who run around without plates, fake plates, no insurance, no helmets, etc etc etc, really fuck it up for everyone else. Kinda like the "self-entitled" foreigners who think an anything-goes attitude is ok with a white face. Yeah, I've no time for these jokers, and kinda wish they'd all be tossed.

10. #40 Re: Beijing crackdown, June 2013 
    IMO better policing all round, and especially of eBikes would go a long way as would tougher requirements on said eBikes and the riders of the same.

+ 1

The idiots who run around without plates, fake plates, no insurance, no helmets, etc etc etc, really fuck it up for everyone else. Kinda like the "self-entitled" foreigners who think an anything-goes attitude is ok with a white face. Yeah, I've no time for these jokers, and kinda wish they'd all be tossed.

+2

With all this said ,encouragement and advise to help the none legal "foreigners" riders is the way to go.
    For the ones who won't listen to good advise so be it , but don't seek pity when the shit hits the fan
    well not from me ???
    Last edited by prince666; 09-16-2014 at 04:30 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast