Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everybody,

my name is Constantin. I am a German national living in Urumqi, Xinjiang now for the third year. I am a professional language teacher and since Xinjiang is such a vast and beautiful place to explore, I've decided to get a motorcycle license and buy a nice ride while I'm at it. Since I'm planning to stay in China, I got all the time in the world to explore and discover places far and wide on a bike. This forum has already been a tremendous help to me, so I've decided to become a member and contribute to it.

2. #2 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Constantin,

Herzliche Willkommen an MCM! You surely are aware that you are surrounded by some of the best open road, mountain road and off-road riding in China, though you'll want a reliable steed and good preparation given the sparse population. Check out Futianshenzhen Tom's recent epiphanies from the Tianshan range, which is in your backyard. If I were you, I'd want a solid dual sport -- something you can abuse without worry (it goes with the territory) and yet not feel too limited when you get a nice 500km stretch of open road. Being German, you'll probably be partial to a GS; they are great if you are independently wealthy.

I look forward to reading about your bike shopping and subsequent adventures!

Cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks euphonius for your kind welcome. Because I am fully aware of the great adventures that lie ahead in the vast open speaces of Xinjiang I actually want to get licensed, buy a nice 250cc dual sport and explore desert and mountain ranges. Thinking of it, the quality of riding here and the costs associated with it are very reasonable. Since I am new to the subject and hope to find info on how to register a bike here and if at all possible in Urumqi. It does not seem to be a dry town because 150 - 250cc scooters fly low around town, but no actual motorcycles, i.e. more than 250cc. Since everything and nothing is possible here, I will se what is possible. Surely there is some information concerning that to be found in this forum that'll help. first things first though; I have to get a license. I'll keep you posted...

4. #4 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    There's a list of dry cities in MCM somewhere. OK, the google found it for me. Urumqi looks to be dry, at least on paper. Your adventure just got more interesting.
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks man, that sheds some light on the matter. Yeah, you are right, the adventure just got more interesting. I got a good friend here who has a 250cc scooter and I see more and more of them every day. since I live at the outskirts of the city, I should give it a try. Being legal with a license and registration should help, I guess.

6. #6 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    It's great if you are on the urban periphery. It may happen that your district is wet, which would be great. Otherwise, you'll need to find a wet district and conjure up some paperwork showing temporary residency there. That should make it possible to get licensed and plated. Hope it's not like Wuhan and Xi'an where because the city is dry they won't even allow residents to obtain a C1D or C1E license. Bigdamo might have some ideas too.

I'm sure you'll sort it all out!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks again euphonius, I will surely keep that in mind. There is always a way in China. And as I said, I got enough time, so probably I won't do any of this before the beginning of the next year. Otherwise I'll take up temporary residence in some small backwater town, get plated and registered there, transfer everything back, hide my bike in my backyard and leave for long distance rides before dawn. If there is a will, there is way...

8. #8 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    Hey Nocturno,

Nice to get to know about you, I live in Shihezi, only 150km west of Urumqi, have been here for 8 years... I have a lot of experience riding in the Tian Shan mountains and I would be very interested in finding a riding buddy for this summer vacation, end july and August. Having a licence is a must considering the police checkpoints we'd have to cross... I ride a Galaxy SUV 250, and I love the concept of the bike; both good on dirt roads and on the main roads, however, the quality of the parts used to put this thing together aren't really the best, therefor it's not very reliable... I have a friend with a second hand Qingqi 200GY dual sport bike that may come for sale in a few weeks... I'm from the Netherlands and I'm an oral English teacher... One trip I have been dreaming about is to go via Yili to the Snow Lotus mountain, might just be the most beautiful place in Xinjiang, a long green valley with a 6627m high mountain towering at the end of it... Another trip I'm planning is towards the Altay mountains in the north of Xinjiang... Let me know if you are interested!

9. #9 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    MCM rocks!
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Hello from Urumqi, Xinjiang 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Tunafish, I would surely be interested to go out for some rides with you. It's always good to know that there are people around your area who like to enjoy the same hobbies. I have to get the license - buying a bike - getting registered thing sorted out first. After that, I'm all yours so to speak!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast