Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Shineray X2 Info PDF from Factory 
    Shineray has sent MyChinaMoto their promotional PDF for both the new, ready for export X2.

The X2 PDF below has probably the most info you can find in one place on the X2. It includes spec, descriptions, product history and photos of it in action. A street version of the X2 is in the works and I will certainly post that info if we get it.

Any dealer or distributor looking to contact Shineray can ask me for their factory sales contact info. It looks like a good product so lets hope it takes off and stands the test of time!

CC
    Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Well, I'm no motocross expert but specs seems ok - wonder how the price will compare..

Good question. There's FOB and cost to consumer. Tow totally different things. Let's hope there are some importers/distributors out there willing to try!

CC

Thanks for the .pdf, I'm glad that Shineray can eat humble pie and pay kudos to Japanese manufacturers, this shows that they are not suffering from and arrogance, and also know what a good bike should be.

I really hope they are proud of and have built this bike properly. Dirt bikers are the most numerous passionate recreational riders in China and will love to have a decent powerful reliable Chinese bike.

18KW from a 250cc single engine for a Chinese manufacturer is something to be proud of. It's insane when you realize that the Honda CRF 250 has 32KW

So if I lived in a western country I wouldn't get a Shineray unless it was half the price of the Honda. Living in China, I'll keep a close eye on Shineray!

that mud track looks epic...
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post

So if I lived in a western country I wouldn't get a Shineray unless it was half the price of the Honda.
    This seems to sum up the Chinese bike market in the US (Canada has across the board taxes that have an across the board higher than US prices for all brands of motorcycles).

This is what will be interesting--higher quality bikes from China priced in the correct range.

I might be simplifying the US market a bit, but if a bike doesn't fall in the $1k range, such as what we have been used to with all the dirt and dual-sport bikes from China, then if one is to spend more, there are plenty of used bikes available from Japan. (The guy I bought my Ascot from had bought a Honda Shadow 750 for $3000 US--near perfect condition bike).

If the price is in the $2k US range, and one does not have the cash, such as the Qlinks, then one has to finance. The dilemma then becomes--why not finance a $4000 bike (Suzuki DR200s or Yamaha TW200) than a $3000 bike (Qlink 200 motard), considering the known quality and parts/repair facilities availability for the Japanese brands?

Realisitically, then, Shineray will have to sort out their prices and where they fit into the market they want to enter. I, personally, like the 250 dual-sport they have, but won't pay over $2k for it. Just my opinion, but from the few years of reading about the Chinese bikes from many US residents, this kind of sums up our collective reasoning. Other countries (such as our neighbor, who I mentioned, Canada) have slightly different dynamics, and residents will pay $2500-$3000 for a new Chinese bike, but it's not necessarily the companies who pocket the difference in cash, and that price compares with a $6000+ equivalent Japanese bike.

What an articulate answer from the Cunninator!

I think it's entirely unreasonable to make sweeping statments like "all Chinese bike should cost no more than 1900 bucks" and it's not because of tax issues either. The reason is simple, it costs more money to make better products.

While everyone likes to get quality new stuff for cheap, fact is it doesn't usually happen. Why? Because the costs of replicating and rebadging a 20 year old design is quite low. Machines are already tooled and little or no research needs to be done. When a company starts putting in research time, custom designed components and the all important marketing, then the prices are going to go up so the company can recover some (hopefully all) of that investment.

It's seems absurd to say "I want a Japanese qualty bike for Chinese prices of three years ago" because that's fundamentally unreasonable economics. It's true that there are GREAT used Japanese bikes out there which make for stiff competition in the Western markets and this will naturally have some effect on how much a Chinese manufacturer and importer can/should charge for their bikes.

Considering some of the newer Chinese bikes look to have slightly higher quality components and unique plastics, then I would expect the price to go up at least a little. Wether it should be any more than 3000 bucks is another question and I think the price for a new Chinese bike would need to stay below that point until they are clearly competetitive with similar speced Japanes and European models. As I've always said, QLink is charging too much for the 200GYs!

CC

I think I can belt out answers with a few brain-cells behind them --you weren't making fun of me were you I wanted the Qlink when it was $2099 (and was discounted to $1900 at some dealers), but then they decided to compete head to head with quality used Japanese bikes when they bumped the price higher and higher!

Things are only overpriced if they are a necessity, and there isn't competition. Let Qlink sit on a warehouse of unsold bikes, and have Qingqi send in their own branded bikes, and see how long the $3k price lasts!

I could see the Shineray dirt bike selling here (US) in the mid to high $2k range, but only after showing how stout the bike is. I am sure that all-out stadium competition is out of the question, for now, but I could see a "following" giving their bike an image lift through different sources. They just need to figure out what kind of grassroots marketing they want to have (i.e. 'Snortin Nortin' beating the snot out of one on his backyard track with full video )

Not making fun there Cully, just not used to seeing such verbose participation on your part in a while since your temporary absence. It will take some time for the rest of us to adjust to the NEW and improved motorcycle having Simon you know!

1900 or 2k was a fair price for the QLink but when they started asking around 3k they must have been trying to loose market share. Around 3k lots of people will start to look at some excellent second hand DR, KLx or any of the other good optios out there. I've even seen some small KTM's in that price range so whay not just save up a little more?

Bikes like this Shineray with the AX1 (NX250) based engine could hold some promise if they can price it right. But just like QingQi, if they don't go through direct distribution or can only find greedy short sighted importers then the road to success and name brand recognition will be long and perilous.

If CFMoto can do it, why can't the others?

CC

Carl, I think we need to stop, pause and understand the economics and some of the psychology.

Firstly most currencies have weakened but the RMB has not. This means that the Chinese need to ask for more money for their products in a western market if they want to keep earning the money they are used to, this could make their bikes uncompetitively priced and they will be forced out of the market.

A good example the future of Chinese bikes is my local quad bike factory. What happened is that Yamaha came to them when they were making copy crap with old designs. Yamaha signed a contract with them gave them new designs so they could make low end quads exactly like the real Yamahas except with different badges. It's an easy thing to sell in the western market as all the spares are available, and people know pretty much what they are going to get, and this forces the copycats out of the market. This is the reason I like Qlink/Qingqi, because it's pretty much all Suzuki technology.

If Honda did the same thing, say with Shineray, if they signed a contract with them and they started making exact copies of the five year old versions of the CRF250 or XR250, badged Shineray, it would again force the copycats out of the market. At least this should be done with the companies Honda already has contracts with in China.

If I lived in say Oregon in the middle of some beautiful area and needed a dirt bike on a limited budget, I would get a Shineray new, if I knew it was really just a Chinese made Honda, but cheaper, rather than a second hand real one.
    However I don't think I'd buy a Chinese made and designed or copied bike unless it was really proven to be a great bike. I'm fussy, I love reliability and power, and I much prefer Yamaha and Honda to Suzuki and Kawasaki even though the Suzukis and Kawasakis are proven great bikes, I don't like the badges, as I've seen problems or had some other problem or personal annoyance with them in the past. So any Chinese bike would need to be a seriously bulletproof bargain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast