Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    C-Moto Regular
    You will also loose compression ratio with stacking gaskets by increasing cylinder volume. AKA loosing your squish factor. I'm telling you if its barely bumping , find out where its bumping per the instructions above and just relieve the piston (grind or sand a pinch from it till it quits hitting). The Millwright trade (precission machanics) use this method. They actually have a blue washable type ink they use for this. But you can use any coloring that will do the job. Its gotta be kind of thick so it won't run everywhere. It just colors where its making contact. I swear Best, Cheapest and most likely quickest way to solve your problem . Unless its hitting in a ring fashion like that photo above. Then you will have to use one of the other methods of getting around this problem of yours.

2. #12 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    C-Moto Guru
    But since the piston is now higher than it was it shouldn't matter right?
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #13 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    That's my thinking if the stock 150 con rod is shorter (now it sits on a longer rod) and your spacing things out it should reset back to the stock compression, my only concern is that evertime you space the engine your technically knocking timing out, I will do it in stages like 2.6mm them 3mm until they start to clear. I would like a higher compression but my concern becomes the stock Rod that's been bored out to accommodate the wrist pin.
    Lexmoto XTR-S 156FMI (156cc big bore) - 163FML Cams (+1mm lift) - Foam Filter - Sports Exhaust - 17T Sprocket - 110 Main Jet - PZ30 Carb - Aprillia RS Ignition Coil - Casoli CDI

My Project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

4. #14 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    C-Moto Regular
    Shouln't matter if it is hitting something inside ?

5. #15 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 4950cycle View Post
    Shouln't matter if it is hitting something inside ?
    Well if the valves are hitting the piston they will either bend or brake causing a loss in compression and a broken engine.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

6. #16 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by arancara View Post
    That's my thinking if the stock 150 con rod is shorter (now it sits on a longer rod) and your spacing things out it should reset back to the stock compression, my only concern is that evertime you space the engine your technically knocking timing out, I will do it in stages like 2.6mm them 3mm until they start to clear. I would like a higher compression but my concern becomes the stock Rod that's been bored out to accommodate the wrist pin.
    I can't see how the timing would be affected as the movement of the piston and valves would be not be changed.

A higher compression is not a good idea on a air cooled engine as it would generate a lot more heat and put extra stress on the conrod.

When you add your thicker base gasket make sure that the clearence between the valves and the piston is not too small as the valves need room to expand when they get hot.

7. #17 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    Thanks spencer, it's rocking a oil cooler now as well to aid in less frequent oil changes
    Lexmoto XTR-S 156FMI (156cc big bore) - 163FML Cams (+1mm lift) - Foam Filter - Sports Exhaust - 17T Sprocket - 110 Main Jet - PZ30 Carb - Aprillia RS Ignition Coil - Casoli CDI

8. #18 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by arancara View Post
    Thanks spencer, it's rocking a oil cooler now as well to aid in less frequent oil changes
    Oh sweet you managed to fit one, could you upload some pics some time?

9. #19 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    I will do once all done it will be on the blog I also got an upgrade from manufacturers because of the blog I opted for a link pipe and they emailed me saying since you have been doing the blog would you like an upgrade to a full stainless steel manifold we have been working on, that's due to arrive in August no more pressed bends!

10. #20 Re: Valves hitting piston after rebuild 
    A bit late, and inactive, but here's the oil cooler on:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12