Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    "I'm not seeing any significant tyre degradation at all. What my eyes see and my brain perceives is an amalgamation of the rubber 'snake' plug formed on the inside of the tyre. Nothing significant in that. "

please look again at the picture you can see to the bottom left .. It is very clear that the dark area is caused by heat build up from with in the tyre .The main reason for this is because the tyre has been run with low pressure in the tyre

tp4 (2).jpg

i am sure other people will make up their own minds on this matter
    Last edited by prince666; 07-03-2013 at 06:11 AM.

2. #22 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    It is very clear that the dark area is caused by heat build up from with in the tyre .The main reason for this is because the tyre has been run with low pressure in the tyres
    Thanks god you gave up your day job as "tire sales rep / tire fixer" as a flat tire involves low air pressure somehow..... makes me laugh....

3. #23 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Thanks god you gave up your day job as "tire sales rep / tire fixer" as a flat tire involves low air pressure somehow..... makes me laugh....

life is full of people who are blind and are fools

4. #24 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has ever mentioned Ride-On TPS on this website. That is probably because it is currently not available inside China, but we are diligently working on that.
    Harley-Davidson Shanghai offers the Ride-On TPS service as far as I know but sure our resident MCM tire expert will try to educate us otherwise....
    As HD China is basically owned by the same group they should be able to offer the same service in other locations.

5. #25 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    I did talk about ride-on TPS you need to read my post 16 and was using this stuff over 10 years ago

6. #26 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    So much so that when I was last abroad, I was surprised that finding the puncture repair kit with the rubber snake/rope plugs and tools was difficult to find.
    Autro, SuperCheap, ARB 4x4, Auto One, etc all carry tire plugging kits, seen them even in some Bunning's Hardware stores, where did you look in Oz?
    Most important tool for on the road repairs = solid quality tire inflator - pump as most of the small CO2 canisters are useless and once they are empty, well....
    Personally, have very good experiences (car,4x4,bike) with a few CyclePumps for years: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-30...o-w-gauge.aspx

Just got a lot of new reliable tire plugging kits for some new vehicles we use here in the motherland.
    Attached Images

7. #27 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Of about 10 sets of tires I've used since I've been in China, I think I've never worn through a set without a need to plug either tire. Just so much shrapnel on the road in China especially where I live, so a stringy plug kit is an absolute must, and a good bicycle pump like an Airace is a lightweight carry along essential. I also bring a digital pressure gauge as it only weighs about 10 grams. Of course the tire companies (who love you to buy new tires) say it's just a temporary fix and you must put a new tire on ASAP, however with the pawltry 125-250cc bikes I've owned its never been a problem doing more rides on them. If I had a bigger bike it would mean ordering a new tire asap, but I'd still ride normally until it arrived, but might avoid track days.

Hate to say it, but Prince you've been brainwashed by the tire industry. I agree 100% with Bikerdoc, sticky stringy tubeless repairs are fine, and they have always worked for me.

8. #28 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Not a single flat tire while doing 40k km on my JH600. 30k km on the ChengShin tires, 10k km on the Bridgestone Battlewings. Only one flat just 2-3 weeks ago while the bike had been sitting in the underground parking for 24 hours. Which seems like the work of a c*nt to me as I find 2 punctures in consecutive treads, a bit to much of a coincidence!

On my Turtle King scooter before I joined the legal club, probably about 5 plugs in 5000 km!

Another question though (slightly off-topic) for tubed tires, do you also always replace the tube(s) when replacing the tire(s)?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

9. #29 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Of about 10 sets of tires I've used since I've been in China, I think I've never worn through a set without a need to plug either tire. Just so much shrapnel on the road in China especially where I live, so a stringy plug kit is an absolute must, and a good bicycle pump like an Airace is a lightweight carry along essential. I also bring a digital pressure gauge as it only weighs about 10 grams. Of course the tire companies (who love you to buy new tires) say it's just a temporary fix and you must put a new tire on ASAP, however with the pawltry 125-250cc bikes I've owned its never been a problem doing more rides on them. If I had a bigger bike it would mean ordering a new tire asap, but I'd still ride normally until it arrived, but might avoid track days.

Hate to say it, but Prince you've been brainwashed by the tire industry. I agree 100% with Bikerdoc, sticky stringy tubeless repairs are fine, and they have always worked for me.

What a great day today thank you for posting i am never said sticky plugs are no good and should never be used just said you should allways check the internal of the tyre which sticky rope dont allow you to do sorry only 98% brainwashed

10. #30 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not a single flat tire while doing 40k km on my JH600. 30k km on the ChengShin tires, 10k km on the Bridgestone Battlewings. Only one flat just 2-3 weeks ago while the bike had been sitting in the underground parking for 24 hours. Which seems like the work of a c*nt to me as I find 2 punctures in consecutive treads, a bit to much of a coincidence!

On my Turtle King scooter before I joined the legal club, probably about 5 plugs in 5000 km!

Another question though (slightly off-topic) for tubed tires, do you also always replace the tube(s) when replacing the tire(s)?
    it is allways best to fit a new tube when you fit a new tyre the cost of the tube is so small compared to the cost of the tyre ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast