Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks to all for your comments. This is nothing like an oil thread, and need not go that route as long as we stick to facts and theories, keep opinion in check, and respect each other's right to be heard. So far so good. I've learned a lot already!

I'd like to throw a spanner in the works. If we accept that plugs and sticky ropes are risky for repairing tubeless tires because the "wound" on the tire might allow water, oil, sand and other grit to penetrate, allowing gradual weakening of the steel and composite ply structure and raising risk of catastrophic failure, then why would the same concerns NOT be present for tubed tires? When you pull a nail or screw from your tubed tire and just repair the tube, are you not now riding on a compromised tire that is also susceptible to weakening due to intrusion by water, oil, sand, grit, etc?

If this is true, then we should also be considering replacing our tubed tires after a flat, no? Needless to say, that ain't going to happen.

Perhaps a more important consideration is how much damage has been caused to the tire -- whether tubeless or tubed -- by whatever caused the puncture.

thanks,
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Thank you for your post Doc and your points are your duly noted but on this subject we will both aggree to disaggree so it is best to leave it to the rest to make up their own mind on this subject
    and hopefully common sense will prevail

3. #13 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Thanks to all for your comments. This is nothing like an oil thread, and need not go that route as long as we stick to facts and theories, keep opinion in check, and respect each other's right to be heard. So far so good. I've learned a lot already!

I'd like to throw a spanner in the works. If we accept that plugs and sticky ropes are risky for repairing tubeless tires because the "wound" on the tire might allow water, oil, sand and other grit to penetrate, allowing gradual weakening of the steel and composite ply structure and raising risk of catastrophic failure, then why would the same concerns NOT be present for tubed tires? When you pull a nail or screw from your tubed tire and just repair the tube, are you not now riding on a compromised tire that is also susceptible to weakening due to intrusion by water, oil, sand, grit, etc?

If this is true, then we should also be considering replacing our tubed tires after a flat, no? Needless to say, that ain't going to happen.

Perhaps a more important consideration is how much damage has been caused to the tire -- whether tubeless or tubed -- by whatever caused the puncture.

thanks,
    euphonius

you are spot on euphonius it all come down to what is best

1. a out in repair

2. a in out repair

with the 2nd one you have to take the tyre of the rim and you can see what other damage has been done to the tyre ???? not just puncture thank you sir i needed some help here lol

4. #14 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    sorry euphonius i missed one of your question

"then why would the same concerns NOT be present for tubed tires? When you pull a nail or screw from your tubed tire and just repair the tube"

it does that why people use tubeless tyres because the whole design is better when you repair a tube tyres you must take the tyre of the rim . Because tyres have loads of wires inside the tyre you have to buff the inside of the tyre before you replace the tube because when the tube is inflated the tube could be punctured again by a rough inner surface or a small bit of a wire. The damage is done to the tyre already that is a down side of a tube tyre

5. #15 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I'm surprised that no one has ever mentioned Ride-On TPS on this website. That is probably because it is currently not available inside China, but we are diligently working on that.

Without going into great detail about it, just check out their website http://www.ride-on.com/ and read the many reviews/tests found via Google. Advrider has several personal reviews.

I've used Slime for quite a while, and generally liked it as an added layer of protection. But I've switched a couple of bikes over to Ride-On (including a few friends' bikes) and the experience has been very positive. We've seen a few punctures self-seal in the last couple of months. Still, maybe it is my anal-nature when it comes to bikes, but I still plop a mushroom plug in. I guess in that respect, I'm still kinda old school.

I went to a trade show where both products (Slime & Ride-On) were being demonstrated, and I have to say that the Ride-On demo was impressive. It kinda made one think there was some trickery involved, but there wasn't. There are several youtube videos about it.

Ride-On claims that it can also work with tubed tires, but no one is more skeptical than me about that claim. Time will tell.

BTW, we have both Slime and Ride-On in our clubhouse (very limited supply, available at our cost) and we're trying to put together something more permanent and widespread (TIC - it ain't easy!)

6. #16 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Hi lao

Thank you for posting about ride on . we had this stuff in the uk 1o years ago and i was one of the first tyres shop in the uk to try it out the product was not called "ride on " cant remember the name but what we found and i can only speak for car tyres when using the slim ?? As you know you inject the slim when you inflate the tyre and in order to insure the slim was evenly spread over the inside of the tyre you would spin the tyre so all the slim covered the internals of the tyre . but we found when we tried to balanced the tyre after this process we could not correctly balanced the tyre as some of the slim would still be moving about inside the tyre .. how many time have you taken a wheel to a tyre shop to get re-balanced and found it to be only 10 grams out and after the correct weights was applied the tyres was fine ??? and that only 10 grams . we found the problems was more apparent with low tyres profile
    so we at the shop decided not to use the slim but all what i saying was with car tyres of all sizes and did not try the slim on bike tyres
    so i hope ride on have address these early problems but i was very impressed with the stuff.

ho and yes i did talk about slim in my post 1 ..... but very briefly
    Last edited by prince666; 06-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

7. #17 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    A forum member posted this picture of the internals of his bike tyre after he had done 2 sticky rope repairs if you look to the bottom left of the picture you can see signs of heat build up on the intenal side of the tyre

this is cause by running the tyre with low air pressure if he had use the tyre much longer then the tyre would of degraded more ho please ...... so it is allways best to remove your tyre to check ???

link to post http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...Cruising/page8

tp4 (2).jpg

Thank you for posting picture makes my case much stronger now from a man who ?

"The last advice I would personally listen to are the confessions of a former tire sales man turned English teacher out somewhere at a Chinese backwater village school..."

made yourself look a right prat now JBR but in your case thats not hard
    Last edited by prince666; 07-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.

8. #18 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Euphonius, you make a good point about tubed tires and IMO tubed tires (technically speaking) should be treated just the same as tubeless tires.
    Having said that, we can lay out the facts all day long and agree & disagree on particulars, but at the end of the day classroom theory and laboratory tests DO NOT necessarily carry over onto the battle field.

In my experience everyones riding style is different as are the bikes that we ride and this factor should also be taken into consideration.

My asshole opinion can only speak to the feelings of the tires that I ride and probably don't coincide with the view of other people.

1. I am not the least bit concerned about tire degradation. Why? Because I view bike tires as a consumable, similar to that of oil changes. ((side bar) I don't necessarily change the oil at the prescribed km interval, I change it according to how & where I ride the bike. The km interval is used as my last line of defense.)
    In the past year alone I've had 3 sets of tires on my bike in about 15,000 km. For me a tire is worn out way before it ever sees the wear indicator, it's worn out according to how it's performing. When a tire is no performing as I expect it to, it's time to change it. Tires aren't cheap, but as far as I'm concerned, (just like 沪A plates) it's the cost of doing business.

2. I am pretty sure that anyone that has ever ridden with me can attest that my riding style is pretty aggressive, so focusing on the quality of the repair is a biggie for me. If I find myself having any second thoughts I get a new tire PERIOD.

3. I carry the rope, mushroom plugs & air pump on my bike at all times.

Thankfully I've not yet had a tire failure 1,000 km from home, but when the time comes I am going to patch the hell out of it, cautiously limp test it for a while (?) then rock on.

There is no such thing as being half pregnant. The tire is either going to hold air, or it's not.

That's my 2 yuan
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

9. #19 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    Hi Juice

Your points are well put ... all i am saying i am not agains a temporary repair done on a tyre to get you home but as seen in the picture sometime other damage has occurred indide the tyre which can not be seen from the out side and tyre degradation can lead to catastrophic failure of the tyre which no one whats ??? you are correct in saying after the repair has been done caution should prevail to check to see if the tyre holds pressure to its full once you are happy with this then the repair should hold

Thank you for posting

10. #20 Re: Sticky rope repairer's how safe ??? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'm not seeing any significant tyre degradation at all. What my eyes see and my brain perceives is an amalgamation of the rubber 'snake' plug formed on the inside of the tyre. Nothing significant in that.

I stand by the use of product, and as I've previously stated in my other posts on the subject of tyre punctures and repairs thereof. Both the puncture repair in a can and the puncture repair snake/plugs from the outside-in of the tyre have worked for me, and I've used them plenty of times.

I think it is important to understand a number of attributable factors that make the use and dependence on said use favourable in TIC.

Firstly, if one suffers a motorcycle or even car puncture in the back of beyond, with no spare tyre, wheel or access to a repair shop then using either aforementioned method to repair said puncture is nothing short of a life saver if not a god send if it's successful.
    Secondly, in the case of a motorcycle puncture, even if one was fortunate to be somewhere close to a motorcycle or motorcycle friendly tyre repair shop, those in attendance are likely to use one of the same puncture repair options if applicable (usually the rubber snake/rope plug method), as has happened to me on more than one occasion.
    Thirdly, if one should have the misfortune of not having a puncture repair method at hand, but is nearby a car tyre repair shop, then hope like hell they'll be willing to work on a motorcycle tyre since many don't.

What is important is that TIC, it aint NZ, OZ, UK, USA... it's TIC so the other rules and norms that might apply elsewhere, don't here. So for all the piss matching about the do's and don'ts about puncture repairs... for me the use of the puncture repair method using the rubber snake/rope plugs has worked 100% of the time, every time, all the time... not one of the many motorcycle tyres has needed to be replaced as a consequence of using said method. So much so that when I was last abroad, I was surprised that finding the puncture repair kit with the rubber snake/rope plugs and tools was difficult to find.

If something works then...

As is often the case YMMV.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast