Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have been wanting to do this for a while but I've only just got some spare money to do it; I plan to totally digitalise my dashboard / instrument panel / what ever you call it to add additional functionality and bling. I am going to remove the guts that control the speedo and rpm meter and get the fuel, speed and RPM readings using an Arduino which is a programmable micro controller, it will output the readings to various 7 segment displays (for speed and RPM), servo motors (for the analogue speed and RPM needle), LEDs (for fuel level) and an LCD display (for various advanced functions). I'm going to program the Arduino to perform various functions such as read the fuel level and calculate an accurate volume in litres and mileage possible on the remaining fuel, average MPG, top speed record and best 0-60 time which will be outputted to the LCD display. I will also have some LEDs to indicate fuel level (going from green to orange to red) which will flash when the fuel gets low. I would like to keep the analogue RPM and speed needles so to make them work without their OEM internals I will control them with servo motors.

I can simply get the speed by measuring the RPM of the front or rear wheel with a magnet and a hall effect sensor then convert that to RPH then times that by the circumference of the wheel in miles which gives me the speed in MPH. To get the engine speed there is already a hall effect sensor / magnet setup inside the engine which the existing rpm counter get's its information from so I can just count the pulses from that to get the RPM. The fuel gauge will be a bit tricky as I will have to calibrate the reading by draining the tank and adding fuel bit by bit while taking readings until it's full.

This system should be much more accurate and responsive than the crappy OEM one and I think it will add a coolness factor too. I have mocked up a crappy concept picture so you can get an idea of what I plan to do.

dash.jpg

I will post updates as they happen.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

2. #2 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    Very intretsing ill be keeping an eyes on this, as im going to be moding the dash of my new bike, as its lacking;

DSC04650.jpg

Basic speedo with high beam light, indicator light and neutral light. I've been lookign at different clocks by acwell and koso, didnt consider an Arduino board. Im at least wanting to add a rev gauge and gear indicator, with a clock (time) and fuel gauge or some kind of fuel indicator (xv535 has 2 tanks so its not as simple) also been on the idea slist.

3. #3 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    C-Moto Guru
    I think you could tap in to your CDI wiring to get an RPM reading as it receives a pulse every rotation to trigger the spark. A gear position sensor is going to be required for the gear indicator which could be tricky depending on which engine you have (what model is that bike anyway?). The fuel gauge will require gauges to be installed in the tanks which could again be a massive pain if you don't have an access hole in the bottom but once they are fitted you could either have a level indicator for each one or average the 2 signals using an Arduino or something.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

4. #4 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    It's a Lifan LF 400\SkyGo SG 400, which uses the 2V68FMQ engine, its a Yamaha xv400/535 clone, as far as i can tell the gear indicators on ebay all use magnets placed by the shifter, ive not had any luck finding a gauge which has one as part of it yet tho, which would be ideal as theres not a lot of space to place more clocks\gauges.

5. #5 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    Just foud these revlights by datatool, might be of interest to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AWgv8yY1iw

6. #6 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    C-Moto Guru
    Well the project is comming along nicely; I have the digital speed and RPM displays working correctly and I have just hooked up the LCD display. All I have to do now is figure out how to get the servos working and how to take fuell level readings.

Heres a pic of the prototype.

20130510_145039.jpg

By the way I test the speed reading by waving a magnet in front of the sensor which is why it says that I have done 119mph and gone from 0 - 60 in 0 seconds.

7. #7 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Looking foward to the outcome from this one Spencer :) I did have an idea of using a pre existing digital system, I am trying to see what is compatible. Started with Suzuki and working my way around.

8. #8 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    This was my other idea, using one of these. No fuss then but I am not sure I would trust it to be accurate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backligh-L...item338213175c It would need to be a different model as the tyre size would not be right.

9. #9 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by OvercrossMC View Post
    This was my other idea, using one of these. No fuss then but I am not sure I would trust it to be accurate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backligh-L...item338213175c It would need to be a different model as the tyre size would not be right.
    This looks interesting, it basically works the same as my system does. The auction description dosen't give much information about it though, I wonder if there is a way to calibrate the fuel gague and change the wheel diameter setting.

10. #10 Re: Upcoming dashboard mod :D 
    hey mate i found this maybe you could use it ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backligh-L...item257d27d452
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I have been wanting to do this for a while but I've only just got some spare money to do it; I plan to totally digitalise my dashboard / instrument panel / what ever you call it to add additional functionality and bling. I am going to remove the guts that control the speedo and rpm meter and get the fuel, speed and RPM readings using an Arduino which is a programmable micro controller, it will output the readings to various 7 segment displays (for speed and RPM), servo motors (for the analogue speed and RPM needle), LEDs (for fuel level) and an LCD display (for various advanced functions). I'm going to program the Arduino to perform various functions such as read the fuel level and calculate an accurate volume in litres and mileage possible on the remaining fuel, average MPG, top speed record and best 0-60 time which will be outputted to the LCD display. I will also have some LEDs to indicate fuel level (going from green to orange to red) which will flash when the fuel gets low. I would like to keep the analogue RPM and speed needles so to make them work without their OEM internals I will control them with servo motors.

I can simply get the speed by measuring the RPM of the front or rear wheel with a magnet and a hall effect sensor then convert that to RPH then times that by the circumference of the wheel in miles which gives me the speed in MPH. To get the engine speed there is already a hall effect sensor / magnet setup inside the engine which the existing rpm counter get's its information from so I can just count the pulses from that to get the RPM. The fuel gauge will be a bit tricky as I will have to calibrate the reading by draining the tank and adding fuel bit by bit while taking readings until it's full.

This system should be much more accurate and responsive than the crappy OEM one and I think it will add a coolness factor too. I have mocked up a crappy concept picture so you can get an idea of what I plan to do.

dash.jpg

I will post updates as they happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast