Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? or do i need to do any sort of customization so that i would fit?

2. #2 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yes. I did this ages ago, and changed the front tyre size too running Bridgestones. The combination lifts the Jetmax a couple of cm's off the deck, so you should look to add some height to the centre-stand. One method is to weld a couple of tabs to the underside of the feet of the centre-stand to compensate otherwise the centre-stand will not be effective. Otherwise check for clearance on each side, the LHS for the CVT housing and the RHS for the swingarm sub-assembly. Think that was all. I did post about the mods and oversized tyres in one of my Jetmax threads...

3. #3 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    BD Said: "Yes. I did this ages ago, and changed the front tyre size too running Bridgestones"

- i read ur post about that but i remember u said that u changed the rear from 140/60-14 to 150/70-14 while u kept the front with the same standard size - is that true or u also increased the size of the front too? if yes what was it?

BD Said: "The combination lifts the Jetmax a couple of cm's off the deck, so you should look to add some height to the centre-stand. One method is to weld a couple of tabs to the underside of the feet of the centre-stand to compensate otherwise the centre-stand will not be effective."

- sure i understand that and this is easy to do.

BD Said: "Otherwise check for clearance on each side, the LHS for the CVT housing and the RHS for the swingarm sub-assembly. Think that was all."

- this sentence is also about the centerstand, or r u talking about the rear tyre clearance?

BD Said: "I did post about the mods and oversized tyres in one of my Jetmax threads..."

- i already read it but again please let me ask u: is the only customizing i need is the centerstand height or i need something else to make sure the tyre doesnt make any frictions with its surroundings?

thanks for ur patience and the last question is what i'm really looking to hear ur answer for.

4. #4 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    ...it's simple... extend the centre-stand to compensate for the increased ground clearance of the scoot should you fit an oversized tyre. Make sure that the rear TYRE will clear the swingarm and final drive housing.

I fitted an oversized rear tyre first before then doing the same to the front. Meaning I have fitted standard motorcycle tyres front and rear as opposed to the low profile radials fitted to the Jetmax ex-factory. I'm more than happy with the Bridgestones on Jetmax especially as the rear low profile tyre develops a odd profile towards the end of its life.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-03-2013 at 07:49 AM.

5. #5 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The last paragraph is confusing, u said u fitted oversized tires then u said u ran standard tires. Please rephrase it explain.

Thanks a lot.

6. #6 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    Sorry for the confusion. Amended the last paragraph. Basically what I was meaning to say was that I've changed over from the low profile radials fitted from new and supplied ex-factory, over to standard motorcycle tyres (even they are slightly wider than the originals)... standard was used in that context...

7. #7 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Now I understand :) I'm really grateful for ur kind help.

And since greed is one of the human attributes let me ask u two more questions:))

1- on rough roads like the ones we have in Egypt which of the following would have the higher effect in absorbing roughness: fitting higher quality swing arms or oversized tires?

2- is ur jetmax still alive? And if yes how many kms so far and how is its condition?

Thanks and have a lovely day.

8. #8 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    Quote Originally Posted by karimfadl View Post
    1- on rough roads like the ones we have in Egypt which of the following would have the higher effect in absorbing roughness: fitting higher quality swing arms or oversized tires?
    Probably oversized tyres, given that the scoot uses an innovative swingarm arrangement and not likely to be easily modified. The reality is that the scoot is a maxi scoot with suspension limitations inherent in maxi scoot design. But the Jetmax is more like a sport maxi scoot if there were such a category, say, compared to a Burgman 650. The latter soaks up bumps and road imperfections much better than the Jetmax. In all honesty aside from buying a more suitable bike fit for purpose, e.g. a trail or ADV style bike which would be the better solution for crap road use, one thing that will cost you little aside from time, is slowing down and riding to the conditions. You and your scoot will more likely survive with less trauma. As an example, a mate has had to replace the RHS rear swingarm subframe amongst other things due to his riding style which isn't surprising given the abuse he's put his Jetmax through riding at speed and not slowing for any road imperfections or irregularities. He has covered a third of the distance on his scoot.

Quote Originally Posted by karimfadl View Post
    2- is ur jetmax still alive? And if yes how many kms so far and how is its condition?
    Yes, all good, in very good condition overall. No significant issues or failures. Mileage is around 60,000km. Though I still ride the Jetmax from time to time, it hasn't been my daily ride now for about 6 months or so, as I prefer my Burgman 650 Exec. More power, better appointments, much more comfortable etc. I keep my Jetmax on trickle charger, and take it for a full days ride every now and again. When I do, I enjoy it, but I'm even more aware of just how much I prefer the Burgman.

9. #9 Re: Can I fit rear tyre of size 150/70-14 in my jetmax? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, I definitely agree on the concept of riding to the conditions and I'm doing my best but roads in Egypt have all the unexpected holes and bumps in the unexpected areas !! For example u can find a bump on a 100 Kmh highway, and rigid holes in fast lanes !!!!

I'm doing my best, and since u mentioned the burgman 650, and since u r the expert here: if I want to upgrade and I have 3 choices: Yamaha tmax, burgman 650 and piaggio x10 350, which one would u recommend keeping in mind that daily city commuting is my primary usage?