Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    I stumbled upon this website dzmotor.com, a reputable bike dealer in shanghai "so i heared"claiming they can get u a bike which is imported from thainland with 0 import tax.

The owner mentioned in the shop forum that due to ASEAN free trade agreement, no rediculous import tax is required, meaning its 100% legit for registration.

Any thoughts?

2. #2 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Its BS... discussed this before at length.. some so called "dealers" will tell you anything you want to hear - TIC and a very wise person once said "a fool and his money are easily parted" and no truer words were spoken when it comes to anything PRC/TIC...
    As to the thread discussion on the subject of import duties and taxes ... search and you will find the thread...

3. #3 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    Quote Originally Posted by crismoe' View Post
    I stumbled upon this website dzmotor.com, a reputable bike dealer in shanghai "so i heared"claiming they can get u a bike which is imported from thainland with 0 import tax.

The owner mentioned in the shop forum that due to ASEAN free trade agreement, no rediculous import tax is required, meaning its 100% legit for registration.

Any thoughts?

The ASEAN free trade with Thailand and China is not in place yet just last year i exported some UTV from China to Thailand and had to pay 80% duty to the Thail Goverment and 80% was based on the The valuation method is CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight), so duty paid on insurance and shipping cost ?? not just the cost of the goods

a good up to date web site for duty cost for all over the world is found here

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/

4. #4 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Its BS... discussed this before at length.. some so called "dealers" will tell you anything you want to hear - TIC and a very wise person once said "a fool and his money are easily parted" and no truer words were spoken when it comes to anything PRC/TIC...
    As to the thread discussion on the subject of import duties and taxes ... search and you will find the thread...
    yeah doc, that's my first impression too but this shop is one of the biggest supplier of imported bikes in Shanghai. If u pay them a visit you will understand why i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. The shop is known for their big displacement BMW's and Suzuki with tags that you normally expect.

Im aware of the thread you mentioned, quite informative i might say. My concern is maybe we are missing something, maybe there's really a revision in the import/export law or the ASEAN free trade agreement really exist (i.e. motorbikes). Not saying i'm a believer but a little optimism wont hurt
    Attached Images

5. #5 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    No harm having such optimism but it (the ASEAN agreement allowing import of bikes manufactured in an ASEAN member country into China) maybe true... I get plenty of inside motorcycle specific dealer new bulletins that is all about global markets including China (though that doesn't mean something might not slide under the radar), and the previously discussed ASEAN market deal for China in terms of our collective interests - hasn't made a mention in the biweekly mailer I refer to. Not to say that it's not happening though.

It would be interesting though to call the dealers bluff... place an order with 1000-2000 deposit down, and see what comes of it. Proceed with caution...

Hopefully good things are happening behind the scenes though. If the ASEAN agreement is true meaning lowering of tarrifs on bikes landed into China, then that can only be good...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-28-2013 at 03:02 AM.

6. #6 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    There is a an agreement with China and ASEAN.
    http://www.mfea.org.my/Data/Sites/1/.../AChinafta.pdf

It does not detail motorcycles specifically, it does include automobiles, in that it has them listed under both sensitive and highly sensitive.

Sensitive items will be reduced to 20% that happened last year, and further reduced to 0-5% by 2018.
    Highly sensitive will be capped at 50% by 2015 and not on the table for further reduction currently.

That 250 Kawasaki has an import duty rate of 45% and VAT rate of 17%, Consumption Tax rate is 3%.
    Its retail price in China would be conservatively over 10k USD.
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/

It is pretty safe to say that the CFTA with ASEAN is in place and that over 80% of traded goods are tariff free, however motorcycles are not on that list and are not even being considered to be on the list until after 2015.

7. #7 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    It is entirely possible that the people that own that shop really believe that there is a CFTA with ASEAN that will allow them to import bikes from Thailand at wholesale prices in Thailand. They would be waiting for an event not scheduled to occur, they would be misinformed and are actually advertising that they are.

If they get your deposit you would be waiting with them….

If they can get one new, it would cost allot more and if not it would have to have been smuggled in. Suzuki formally/legitimately imports only two models, they import those through Jinan Qingqi Suzuki.
    http://www.qssuzuki.com.cn/

The GSX1300R and the M109R are legitimate and dealers selling them are buying them through formal channels established in China. The duty on those are actually less then the 250 would be, however they would have a higher consumption tax rate.
    Import of Motorcycles over 970cc from Japan to China have an import duty rate of 30% and VAT rate of 17% and a Consumption Tax rate of 10%

8. #8 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    great feedback guys!
    I guess we just need to wait and see.
    FYI the site went down after i post it here, i wonder why.....

9. #9 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    it's back and running!

The existing shop in pubei road with some c50 ready for inspection.
    The last image is their up and coming branch located at North Zhai Road, Changning District.

According to the store owner the new branch will be the showroom of their imported bikes and the old one will cater the domestic models.

still look dodgy?
    (see image)
    Attached Images

10. #10 Re: 0 tariff=0 import tax 
    http://fta.mofcom.gov.cn/topic/chinaasean.shtml

they have files that can be downloaded,
    one is tariff reduction list to Thailand, see if motorcycles are on that list.

If these guys are planning and building a showroom based on the assumption the rates will be coming down they may want to verify the source of that information. They may be the first in line for an event not scheduled to ever happen.
    But it does not matter they can be a special importer for Kawasaki current advertised prices seem impossible though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast