Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 This was our last Ride in 2008, China 
    ........November, Air Temperature 8 Degree/C and a blue Sky. Jim brought us to a small Restaurant close to Huairou and we have had a very good BBQ Trout. Than we went to the Mountains, searching Snow. Luckily there was none.

We have been a small but fine Group. In Springtime we will ride again!

What an excellent production! Maybe you could share some of your filming secrets with us? Who is taking the video? The video is quite stable! Also, the voice-over is wonderfully relaxed and easy to listen to. Are you doing it all by yourself?

I especially appreciate your use of Delta Blues and the "Cloud Nine" by the Temptations. I am a big fan of the Temptations!

I hope you don't mind if I provide some comments on the sounds design.

The live track (the sound recorded with the video) is missing. Wind noise can be especially difficult to listen to but it's worth getting about 5-10 minute of recoding of the engine running while the microphone is protected from the wind. A person in the sidecar can do this very easily. During the recording, ride consistently at 20kph for one or two minutes, then 40kph, then 60kph and so on. When you come home take these wind-free sound samples and put them in your sound "library". You can add these sounds to any video later and add the very important (and lovely) effect of the engine!

When you are talking (voice-over) bring the music level waaay down, almost to the point you can't hear it. The when you stop talking and want the video to take priority (like at 3min 20sec), slowly bring the music level up and try to make the video transition match beats in the music. When using beats in the music to mark video transitions, you can also use different kinds of transitions.

Sound editiing and design is a totally different skill than video but is equally (maybe more) important to any good video production!

Again, I am not speaking negatively about your work because I think it is great and see true artful creativity in your work. I'm am only offering some personal opinions.

Spater!
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 making Videos 
    ....is a kind of fun for me and I really start loving it.
    Most of the takes I make while sitting in the Sidecar. Thomas loves it too, but he can only do it when we come to a stop.
    At home I do all the Video-Computer-Work myself. Cutting, editing, talking, music..... I never studied it and nobody has shown me how to use the Programm. Try and Error.
    Normally I have ca. 30 Min rough Material and I cut it down to ca 8 Min. The longer Version I share (TV-DVD) with all the friends which have been with us. The shorter one I post in YouTube.
    Until December 2008 I have worked with Magix Deluxe 2007/2008. This is also the Programm I have started with. It is easy to handle but it also don`t has so much Posibilities. Unfortunatly it crashed a short Time before Chrismas.....or Luckily?
    I have had only 2 Days to learn how to work with Adobe Premiere CS3. Here I found a different kind of Programm, a new World is open now!
    Soundbooth, I worked already a little bit with Sound fade out/in in the last Video (BMW R60/2), and you are absolutly right with all the things you wrote. I will do it, I will learn.
    so, the Sun is shining and it is not very cold Outside. Now we take our two Bikes and go out for a short Ride.
    see you!

How come the trees are white on the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    How come the trees are white on the bottom?
    They paint them every year before winter with some kind of lime paint.
    Don't know the exact reason, but some people say it has something to to with avoiding insects to hibernate.

Andy

Interesting, thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Don't know the exact reason, but some people say it has something to to with avoiding insects to hibernate.

Andy
    Expect "avoid insects/animal" theory, Highway safety is also a factor (same as "old" USA).

Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Expect "avoid insects/animal" theory, Highway safety is also a factor (same as "old" USA).
    Could be. But then why also the ones in the park and why not all species.

I'll ask my gardener tomorrow.

Andy

Be Dirty!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post

Andy
    Hi Andy, you haven't asked your gardener! Maybe because he wasn't in China those days? But he's back now, and he's answering your questions now, as SHORT as possible:
    The reason for the white "paint" is partly to keep some insects away, partly, maybe a side effect is road safety. But the real reason is that the winter sun may heat up the bark, the stem too much because the bark, the stem is usually dark, thus absorbs the sunlight much more. Light will covert into heat which may cause an expansion of the bark and the wood below. Because the sun only shines onto one side of the stem, it may lead to unequal expansion of the wood, the wood, the stem may burst and tear the bark apart. But the fliuds run right under the bark, if the bark is damaged (more than approx 50%) of the circumference, the tree will die, at least suffer. And the bark is a kind of infection protection (like your skin is). Infection will have it easy to enter the tree once the bark is open, the tree is wounded.
    Got it?
    CU next Tuesday, 7 pm @ Franks place for our first Beijing Biker Meeting? Everbody's invited, even those on 3 wheels ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by peterkue View Post
    Hi Andy, you haven't asked your gardener! Maybe because he wasn't in China those days? But he's back now, and he's answering your questions now, as SHORT as possible:
    The reason for the white "paint" is partly to keep some insects away, partly, maybe a side effect is road safety. But the real reason is that the winter sun may heat up the bark, the stem too much because the bark, the stem is usually dark, thus absorbs the sunlight much more. Light will covert into heat which may cause an expansion of the bark and the wood below. Because the sun only shines onto one side of the stem, it may lead to unequal expansion of the wood, the wood, the stem may burst and tear the bark apart. But the fliuds run right under the bark, if the bark is damaged (more than approx 50%) of the circumference, the tree will die, at least suffer. And the bark is a kind of infection protection (like your skin is). Infection will have it easy to enter the tree once the bark is open, the tree is wounded.
    Got it?
    CU next Tuesday, 7 pm @ Franks place for our first Beijing Biker Meeting? Everbody's invited, even those on 3 wheels ;-)
    Thanks Peter, finally we got the answer from a professional
    I didn't believe it was that scientific

I didn't ask my gardener because it is the guy who destroyed our lawn. Remember, this is why I asked you to check on our soil conditions

Andy