Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jguan View Post
    Hi,
    I also just moved to Shanghai and got a Benelli600 2 weeks ago. I would love to do a weekend trip, even if only a day trip from Shanghai to Zhejiang.
    Anyone interested in riding this weekend, July 13 or 14?
    JGuan

JGuan I replied to your PM. For the benefit of others... here's some of my reply.

It can take a long time to ride from SH down to Zhejiang, especially down to Ningbo, although in my opinion it is worth it. It does depend on where you want to ride though. Lots of choices in Zhejiang to be fair. To ride down from SH-Ningbo bypassing HZ takes about 7-8 hours. If you have not been before then you would likely need to allow a longer period of time perhaps 8-9 hours. I have done the trip over the years multiple times, both by motorcycle, and car. It takes a good 7 hours by motorcycle using the provincial highways and all my self imposed diversions - to make the ride that much more interesting.

This coming weekend: If one is able to leave on Friday, then that would be better as a group of us plan to ride to one of the islands named TaoHua Dao. It's one of a group of islands just off the coast of Ningbo (Beilun actually) me and some mates travel to frequently in the summer. We take a vehicle ferry which takes 2 hours then stay on the island until we return by ferry on Sunday afternoon. From SH one would ideally need to look at spending 4 days away from SH. 2 of those to allow for riding here and back.

All motorcycle riders from SH or beyond are welcome to join us.

If one uses a GPS I can share some coordinates to get riders down from SH to Ningbo with a fairly interesting route. If I have time I could possibly ride up to meet any riders midway, around one of the HZ bay bridges to the East of HZ to act as the guide. I'd supply a waypoint at the Northern side of a specific bridge for this.

We (the group I ride with) plan on heading to TaoHua Dao this Saturday, but don't let that put anyone off if any interested can't make it, well we make this trip really frequently in the Summer. Usually though some of us catch the Ferry on Friday just to beat the crowds that leave on Saturdays. Nice weather, and the hordes of cars are there at the ferry terminal to greet one and all.

TaoHua Dao has two main beaches, and they couldn't contrast any more if they were painted mural scenes. One is commercial, with sand, toys, lifeguards, and a blue seascape, and an entrance fee to go with it - the other beach is on the opposite side of the island and is a fishing village, pebble beach, no sand, no toys, no crowds and no entrance fee.

The beaches aside, the island itself has lots of mountain rides... I lost count the number of times, I have ridden round, over the island and back again. There is a decent town too.

Best part is it's located in my back yard, amongst all the other daily ride choices I have at my doorstep... nope, don't miss SH one i-ota!

2. #12 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    "Best part is it's located in my back yard, amongst all the other daily ride choices I have at my doorstep... nope, don't miss SH one i-ota!"

Do you have any salt left? I think you have poured enough into my wound thank you very much!

Seriously, thanks for the information.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #13 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    I'd love to join on upcoming weekends as soon as my bike is out of the shop and down in SH; should only be another week or so.

4. #14 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    "Best part is it's located in my back yard, amongst all the other daily ride choices I have at my doorstep... nope, don't miss SH one i-ota!"

Do you have any salt left? I think you have poured enough into my wound thank you very much!

Seriously, thanks for the information.
    Hehehe, Aw shuckssss... hey, you are always welcome to come on over from Jiangsu province... anytime. Remember. Place for your bike and all... though I know how long it takes to ride from over that way (rode to visit wifes family in Changzhou from Ningbo and return) one time only, cause Jiangsu is one of the most boring places to ride IMO. To mention nothing of the Changzhou CBD motorcycle ban!
    Anytime though you want to escape the light fantastic Jiangsu (Jiangzoo) then gotta be closer the 'ol US of A. Just sayin...

5. #15 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    OK - Count me in for a ride this weekend if anyone is going. Just picked up the new SRX5 and it is running beautifully. Just need to get some TF cases secured by Friday and I will be good to go.

6. #16 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Hehehe, Aw shuckssss... hey, you are always welcome to come on over from Jiangsu province... anytime. Remember. Place for your bike and all... though I know how long it takes to ride from over that way (rode to visit wifes family in Changzhou from Ningbo and return) one time only, cause Jiangsu is one of the most boring places to ride IMO. To mention nothing of the Changzhou CBD motorcycle ban!
    Anytime though you want to escape the light fantastic Jiangsu (Jiangzoo) then gotta be closer the 'ol US of A. Just sayin...
    Be careful what you offer in this group! I may end up shipping the bike to you via moving van then coming down on to join you via faster transportation. (I rarely get more than 48 hours off to ride so I have shipped the bike to places worth riding via moving van in the past) It sounds like you have great riding there.
    DT

7. #17 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    yesterday we came home by train and I have seen the beautiful landscape a little bit north of Nanjing; on the other side of Yangtze River. when autumn comes, Thomas and I will visit TexasAggie. yesterday the temperature was 38 degree C there

8. #18 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    There is great riding outside of Nanijng if you travel North, South, or West. Southeast or east is no good. The real problem is it takes half a day to get out of the Nanjing rat race in any direction and getting across the river on a motorcycle easily turns into an all day affair that takes the fun out of the entire trip when you have two days of hell for a few hours of great riding. I am seriously looking to get a house in the country side and keep the motorcycles there. The new train service to YiXing opened some possibilities up for me. We will see.....

I hate big cities no matter where they are. I hate New York, London, or Los Angeles every bit as much as Nanjing but I do not have to live in those cities.

The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.
    DT

9. #19 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    There is great riding outside of Nanijng if you travel North, South, or West. Southeast or east is no good. The real problem is it takes half a day to get out of the Nanjing rat race in any direction and getting across the river on a motorcycle easily turns into an all day affair that takes the fun out of the entire trip when you have two days of hell for a few hours of great riding. I am seriously looking to get a house in the country side and keep the motorcycles there. The new train service to YiXing opened some possibilities up for me. We will see.....

I hate big cities no matter where they are. I hate New York, London, or Los Angeles every bit as much as Nanjing but I do not have to live in those cities.

The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.
    Me to hate big city and it is a shame most of the member who live in china live in the big city and you can read the member love riding their bikes on open roads but take most of the day getting out of the city

These are my reason for not living in a big city ..

view from flat first .

new pictures 146.jpg

2 mins north we have this

sunset.jpg

new pictures 114.jpg

15 mins on bike south we have views

new pictures 221.jpg

new pictures 224.jpg

west no good and east get better but need to ride 30 mins and all for 2200 rmb per sq meter cost of flats 3 years ago ... now just over 4000

so there's a lot to be said about not living in a big city
    Last edited by prince666; 07-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.

10. #20 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    "get out of the Nanjing rat race in any direction and getting across the river on a motorcycle easily turns into an all day affair that takes the fun out of the entire trip"

I found a new way to get across the rivers

bike on water.jpg

looks like fun

download to video here........http://kickass.to/mythbusters-12x6-h...-t7489161.html
    Last edited by prince666; 07-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast