Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    If I could use the god damn tunnel less than 2km from my house, I could be in the mountains on back roads on the north bank in 15 minutes......
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

2. #22 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    If I could use the god damn tunnel less than 2km from my house, I could be in the mountains on back roads on the north bank in 15 minutes......
    What happens when you try to enter the tunnel?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    A elevated bridge goes from Nanjing to an island. I can use that along with lots of Ebikes and other vehicles. The tunnel goes from the island to the other side of the river and it has more toll gates and guards than the President of the USA's house does. They went nuts. I got off with warning for trying but they were not happy and I will not repeat the exercise. It is a no go for anything other than cages.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #24 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    That's like saying if my ant had bollocks she will be my uncle
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #25 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    A elevated bridge goes from Nanjing to an island. I can use that along with lots of Ebikes and other vehicles. The tunnel goes from the island to the other side of the river and it has more toll gates and guards than the President of the USA's house does. They went nuts. I got off with warning for trying but they were not happy and I will not repeat the exercise. It is a no go for anything other than cages.
    Firstly, any time you are up for a getaway by all mean get your bike into the back of a moving van and ship your bike here. As for the tunnel, this brings up an interesting conversation I was having with two of my closest riding mates as we discussed this weekends plans of riding and surfing out on the islands off the coast of Ningbo (Beilun). The guys were giving my 650TR the once over at the same time, when the conversation turned to discussing locating and purchasing a motorcycle transport trailer from the likes of Harley Davidson (HD).

http://www.harley-davidsonbeijing.co...ocheshuangtuo/

I think it was HD Beijing that had advertised a fold up type trailer some years ago for sale for pretty good pricing from memory. I'd seen one or two being towed by different HD Ford Transit vans (e.g. HD Shanghai & HD Wenzhou, & later HD Suzhou). At the time, I'd tried to convince a few of these same riding mates to go shares in buying one of these trailers, so we'd have one for communal use for any eventuality that might occur. Since a couple of these guys have their own factories and what-not, storing a trailer wouldn't be an issue. Back then though seemed my idea was a waste of breath, since all but one, were interested in the idea - so it dropped by the wayside. That feeling seems to have changed, and they are now interested in the idea. So we have emails fired off to HD SH on pricing of the two versions of the trailers. Ofourse a high top Ford Transit or similar van would offer the same, with a little modification.

TexasAggie, you could get by if you simply trailered your bike through that tunnel, parked up on the other side, and then rode your bike through all the key riding areas. Then trailer bike back up for the return.

Worth a thought.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-10-2013 at 04:45 AM.

6. #26 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    Similar to our experience with the bridge-and-tunnel crossing from Shanghai proper to Chongming Island. If you had multiple riders, perhaps the trick would be to organize one or more of those truck taxis to haul your bikes through. You'd need a posse because those taxis are high off the ground and bikes are heavy. But it might be worth the trouble for the huge saving of time and mafan.

Is the entrance similarly fortified on the other side?
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #27 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    Obviously the good doctor and I are on the same wavelength.
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #28 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Firstly, any time you are up for a getaway by all mean get your bike into the back of a moving van and ship your bike here. As for the tunnel, this brings up an interesting conversation I was having with two of my closest riding mates as we discussed this weekends plans of riding and surfing out on the islands off the coast of Ningbo (Beilun). The guys were giving my 650TR the once over at the same time, when the conversation turned to discussing locating and purchasing a motorcycle transport trailer from the likes of Harley Davidson (HD).

http://www.harley-davidsonbeijing.co...ocheshuangtuo/

I think it was HD Beijing that had advertised a fold up type trailer some years ago for sale. At the time, I'd tried to convince a few of these same riding mates to go shares in buying one of these trailers, so we'd have one for any eventuality that might occur. Back then seemed a waste of breath. That feeling seems to have changed, and they are now interested in the idea. TeasAggie, you could get by if you simply trailered your bike through that tunnel, parked up on the other side, and then rode your bike through all the key riding areas.

Worth a thought.
    ChinaV posted a year or two back about a very nice bike trailer he found on taobao.

Yes, here it is: Some assembly required.
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #29 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hmmm, that's an interesting thread... I wonder how I missed that one.
    Will be interesting to compare the trailers and pricing. I searched before on Taobao and found a fair few trailers for sale, that looked like they'd do the business. I'd prefer a light smaller trailer that can carry one bike, but also that could be utilised as a general purpose trailer e.g. to carry an item of furniture or two when the need arises. Another reason is I drive a Suzuki Swift, when a cage beckons or is needed.

10. #30 Re: Weekend trip anyone? 
    Back in the uk people who did not have a trailer used Ford Luton vans with a tail lift could get 8 bikes in ok . Have not seen many tail lift vans on the roads in china . could also rent them for the weekend at $100 with 8 bikes on the van used to work out a good deal just a shame for you guys van like this are not available in china

luton.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast