Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Zongshen RX3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Fingers crossed. When I went to a dealer he recommended RX3 without hesitation. He said that zongshen knows how to make a good bike and hes calm about its quality ;) hah

Here some nice pix
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=20210234336
    Read my reply... 'it's more likely that a PRC seller/dealer will tell you what you want to hear'... in your case modron, the dealer may have a hidden agenda for telling you that. Maybe he receives a better profit margin on Zongshen, maybe there is a more direct relationship with the company, maybe there are too many in stock and he has incentive to help shift the RX3.

FWIW, take whatever a seller/dealer in PRC says with a 'grain of salt', maybe two grains.

2. #22 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I know, I know. And i do agree with you that everything is China is just for looking. They sell tangerines in beautiful bamboo boxes padded with satin cloth and styrofoam here where I live.
    I did not go to this dealer to ask about the RX3 but about the X2X, X5 and QM250. He came up with the RX3 by himself. As you said maybe he gets better commission from Zongshen.
    The interesting thing is that he never heard about QM250...only about QM200 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't see why you would even consider getting this heavy bike ( that yet has to prove itself), to gain a little bit more off road capability over your YBR? I would go for the X2 in your case, at least you know what you get yourself into and it's more off road capable than this RX3 I'd say.
    I really dont.
    What I think of is selling my YBR and buying JH600 or keeping YBR and buying X2. My gf complains that there is no space for her when I put those huge 35l boxes on my wee YBR. I have to think about her a little ;) but still I might just get smaller boxes and the X2 haha dunno
    Last edited by modron; 12-09-2013 at 01:46 AM.

3. #23 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    modron your girlfriend will have plenty to complain about sitting on the back of an x2 for any length of time.

4. #24 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    modron your girlfriend will have plenty to complain about sitting on the back of an x2 for any length of time.
    You mean hanging of the back of the X2 ;) The first thing I removed from my X2 were the passengers' foot pegs!

If you need a bike that can carry 2 persons comfortably, go for the JH600 or X5.

In my case, since I already had the JH600 I went for the X2 since I wanted a more off road capable bike. Sure it's possible to get the JH through all kinds of terrain, but when it's hot and you're all geared up and carrying luggage and perhaps a passenger, it can be quite tough to muscle the top heavy JH beast through terrain/TIC events. The passengers seat of the JH is more comfortable than the the riders seat in my opinion. Don't get me wrong about the JH, I still love it but am just less eager to take it off road now.

I haven't traveled on my X2 yet, but I would like to in the future. The X2 can carry a passenger but trust Zhu and me, you don't want a passenger on the back for more than a few kilometers! Unless you want to travel like "Dumb & Dumber" (if anyone still remembers that scene from the movie ;)).

If I could only have one bike right now for what ever reason, I would most likely go for the X5. But it would need proper truing of the rims before traveling 2 up on it, it's other weaknesses/need to do's can be found in ShuBen's thread.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #25 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    Model Curb Weight Power Torque Power to Weight
    YBR250 152 15.4 19.7 0.101315789
    RX3 175 18.5 22.5 0.105714286
    GW250 182 18.0 22.0 0.098901099

6. #26 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    If I buy the X2 it will be purely for myself. Then I will keep YBR for touring with my gf just will have to fit smaller boxes on it cos with the current ones there really isnt any space for her legs. If I get the JH then no point keeping the YBR.
    I would love to have the X5 as it is exactly what im looking for but too many problems with it so i gave up the thought.

Anyway, thanks for the advice

7. #27 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    The engine in the RX3 is the same engine that has been in the Megelli, I have not heard anything bad about the engine, nothing with respects to mechanical failures, however every version of it so far has been normally aspirated, this version of it has EFI.

Zongshen has taken over the production of the Megelli line from Hisun and will be offering them under their own brand in China. Its an assumption on my part to say that they must have some confidence in their configuration of the EFI on their NC250 engine and that being why they are going to be offering more models with it in China.

That engine is a Zongshen design or at least they paid for its development, them offering this bike and also offering up the Megelli designs in China is very smart.

8. #28 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    Its not clear if Jiajue will be offering the Zongshen NC250 engine or the Shineray DOHC 250 engine in its new Tomahawk 250.
    That is the bike that showed up at CIMA 2013, the bike that is a copy of the KTM Duke 350.

Jaijue offers the NC250 engine, the NC250 and the DOHC 250 in a few of their bikes, they export them only, all of the bikes have carburetors. Eventually that engine is destined to become one of the largest selling engines of any brand, IMO. I would assume that within a couple years you see them offered in China with EFI commonly.

9. #29 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    I believe the EFI limits the engines output in power, but I am not an engineer. However I read that the engines max potential output is 30hp..Zonghen is being diligent and conservative in its version ensuring longevity and meeting emissions in legitimacy with their EFI version in their domestic market. I do not believe that they will be offering a normally aspirated version of the engine in their offered line which uses that engine. In that they have a global offering or at least for emissions they do, as for it being EFI it is limited as some developing markets shun technology as they simply cannot support it in the field.

10. #30 Re: Zongshen RX3 
    There is not a comparable offering in China for the Shineray X2, however the SSR250 has the NC250 engine and that is an Asia Wing copy for the Honda CRF250 with a NC250 engine. It has a dry weight of 117lbs and the Shineray is at 120lbs, not materially different.

The SSR250 is being offered in the States and not getting any bad press, other then it being a copy of a Honda, but the engine is not its is a NC250. Its off road only same as in China.

I am seeing it as a 5-speed in the SSR, which means not all version of the engines are geared the same and they should not be, they should be geared for the intended purpose.

If you want a dual sport then the X2 is the only legitimate legal choice in China. However if you have a trailer and want to do some motocross then you need no plates, however its not ideal is it. Dual sport aren't that great either way are they, they often end loosing all the parts that make them street legal.

Unless you can afford and can get access to one of the new KTM offerings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast