Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Using Chinese licence abroad 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Does anyone know how to get an international drivers licence, from a Chinese licence? Because i don't think you can use one abroad without translation.

I heard you can have a translation in a specific language, but an international one is usually in multiple.

2. #2 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    This is an excerpt from Wikitravel:

"You cannot drive with an International Driver's Permit (IDP) in mainland China; China has not signed the convention which created IDPs. You need a Chinese license to drive in China. (Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan issued licenses are not considered Chinese licenses.)"

This probably implies the reverse of getting an IDP from a Chinese license is not offered anywhere.
    That said, I did use my Chinese Driver's license to rent a car in the States once. I forgot to bring my US drivers license on my way back to my home in the States but needed to take care of some business in California during the stopover. My Chinese drivers license without translation was accepted by the rental company. However I am not sure how the cops would handle this foreign license as I did not get the chance to find out.

Cheers!

3. #3 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Quote Originally Posted by centralmoto View Post
    Does anyone know how to get an international drivers licence, from a Chinese licence? Because i don't think you can use one abroad without translation.

I heard you can have a translation in a specific language, but an international one is usually in multiple.

Can i ask what country abroad are you thinking of using your chinese DL
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    My wife is Chinese and she uses here Chinese license in Texas, USA no problem. My insurance company took it when I put her on it as a driver. We have had zero issues using it just as I use my Texas license in every country I have been in except China. Of course I have never tried to drive in North Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, or anyplace in Africa so this is my caveat.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #5 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Ch!na is not a signatory to 1968 Vienna convention so consequently Ch!na does not have the ability to provide international driving permits (IDP). Many more countries today recognise mainland Ch!na issued drivers license, though they shouldn't, given the widespread fraudulent activities concerning the same (fakes, those issued through guanxigang etc). More over even those obtained through legal means, a safe or competent driver it does not make... take a look around...
    Aside from which if China does not recognise and allow the DIRECT use of legally obtained drivers license from an overseas jurisdiction for short term use (as provided by most overseas jurisdictions), then the same courtesy should be afforded the Ch!nese.

Tit for tat...

All that aside, there are online sales of IDP's that a friend used for something like US$25 plus postage, and he was sent a plastic IDP tied into his Ch!nese D/L with a period of 'validity' of 5 years. Ironically many jurisdictions issue IDP's valid for 12 months and are a small booklet containing several pages, a photo of the holder, and is slightly larger than a passport. And of note, a IDP does not equal a D/L as some people assume.

6. #6 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Hi Centralmoto

Like all of us here from abroad find driving in China challenging! your biggest challenge when driving abroad we be YOU ... There are very big difference in driving er,um manners yes thats the best word .....

well good luck
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 

I think it depends on the country you are intending to use your Chinese driving license. For Austria and Germany I got the following official information.
    A non EU, non Vienna 1968 treaty member country (e.g. China) driving license is valid for people without residence in the EU for temporary visits of up to 183 days. An IPD or a notarized translation to German as well as a temporary residence card in the EU has to be carried along with the DL. Presumably, but not confirmed, this is valid within all EU member countries + Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Got a hint from the German authorities: To avoid translations to multiple languages (costly and time consuming), have the Chinese DL translated to English by an official translation office, notarized and authorized by the embassy of Great Britain or Ireland.

Holders of DLs from Andorra, Hongkong, Monaco, Newzealand, San Marino, Switzerland and Senegal do not need to carry translations or IDPs.

Staying over 183 days in the EU requires EU residence and in that case the national DLs are valid (as above) for 183 days and have then to be transferred into an EU DL in the country of residence.

To my knowledge, there is no organization in China to issue IDPs.
    Last edited by chinabiker; 07-11-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Andy

8. #8 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Can i ask what country abroad are you thinking of using your chinese DL
    I'm from the EU, i have no big interest in driving a motorcycle there or in other western countries.
    I have a Chinese licence, i like driving in China but would also like to do some side trips to the neighbour countries. Especially Russia & some of the Stan countries.

9. #9 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    I'm from the EU, i have no big interest in driving a motorcycle there or in other western countries.
    I have a Chinese licence, i like driving in China but would also like to do some side trips to the neighbour countries. Especially Russia & some of the Stan countries.
    Should be OK but getting out and in with your car/motorcycle might be a different story.

10. #10 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Go on line. There are american companies who will give you an international driving license. They are valid now for three years. In fact many countries do not need chinese licenses to be accompanied by an international driving license but hell. for the sake of a few dollars it's worthwhile.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast