Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbinSteve View Post
    I did not use a carnet. It was a real clusterfu#^. When I asked at the border, there was talk of needing a 通行证, but they told me I didn't need anything except my Chinese registration to get back in. This was at a really small border crossing, and they must not have had many people crossing with vehicles. Anyhow, getting back into China was a huge mess/wast of time. So, if you are planning to cross borders, get some sort of international carnet. From what I've hear, China doesn't really do those. But who knows, anythings possible.

ATA chinese carnet link : http://www.atachina.org/
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #22 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    ATA chinese carnet link : http://www.atachina.org/
    You would need a "carnet de passage" for a motor vehicle, which is different from an ATA carnet.
    Carnet de passage neither issued nor accepted in China.
    Andy

3. #23 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    C-Moto Noob
    You can use a Chinese Lic to drive or ride in Australia...though a Chinese bike Lic if translated correctly would have a capacity limit due to the size bikes limited in China...China was the only country to not sign the International Permit agreement back in the 50's I believe ..weird as it is ..I am a motorcycle Trainer and Testing Officer here yet cannot legally ride in China when I travel every couple of years..and an International permit is merely a translation of your current Lic into the language you are visiting !

4. #24 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Guys, hope someone knows/can clarify: I have a chinese driving license and planning to ride across US this autumn. What steps do I need to make to get an IDL or IDP? Do I need one?

Thanks!
    Previous bikes:
    Jawa 350 1971; Triumph Tiger 900 1999; Yamaha XT600 1995; Honda CX450 1983; Suzuki DRZ-E 400 1998; Sanlg 125cc 2007.

Forever bicycle now.

5. #25 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakas View Post
    Guys, hope someone knows/can clarify: I have a chinese driving license and planning to ride across US this autumn. What steps do I need to make to get an IDL or IDP? Do I need one?

Thanks!
    The question you need to ask yourself ,can you get a IDL or a IDP from with in China!! from what I can read these are not available !! So I would think a Chinese DL is ok to use in the USA . What I can say for sure it's ok to drive all over the EU ,Thailand and Loas , I hope this clears up a few points
    Have a good day
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #26 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Mixed stuff on the net. Some people say you need to translate your chinese DL into english and you good to go, some say if your chinese DL has some english writing on it ( mine does, but for example, class C1E in other parts of the world allows you to drive a truck up to 7,5 tons and my chinese DL is for car + bike) you are good to go. I guess its gonna be just nailing it without having all documents clean, just like I did Kunming - Chengdu and across India. Let me know if anyone has more recent info/experience with this.
    Previous bikes:
    Jawa 350 1971; Triumph Tiger 900 1999; Yamaha XT600 1995; Honda CX450 1983; Suzuki DRZ-E 400 1998; Sanlg 125cc 2007.

Forever bicycle now.

7. #27 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    A Chinese license should not count for the slightest thing outside China. The Chinese license is corrupt from top to bottom on every level. The same goes for India and many other countries. This corruption means that drivers with those licenses cannot be trusted to drive safely on roads with decent driving standards. The fact that Chinese driving licenses are accepted by other countries to use to drive for various periods of time from 3 months up to a year in other countries or converted to another national license is a huge oversight by these countries, hopefully over time these loopholes can be closed or these corrupt developing countries increase their driving standards and issue and accept IDPs.

8. #28 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    True that, but my only concern is how will cops on the other side of the pond react to chinese DL.
    Previous bikes:

Forever bicycle now.

9. #29 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    C-Moto Noob
    If the Country is ok with a IDP and you have a translation of it stamped by an Interpreter ...all should be good..

10. #30 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    A Chinese license should not count for the slightest thing outside China. The Chinese license is corrupt from top to bottom on every level. The same goes for India and many other countries. This corruption means that drivers with those licenses cannot be trusted to drive safely on roads with decent driving standards. The fact that Chinese driving licenses are accepted by other countries to use to drive for various periods of time from 3 months up to a year in other countries or converted to another national license is a huge oversight by these countries, hopefully over time these loopholes can be closed or these corrupt developing countries increase their driving standards and issue and accept IDPs.
    Ditto... +1
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast