Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If the Country is ok with a IDP and you have a translation of it stamped by an Interpreter ...all should be good.. ..
    Great in theory, but Ch!na can't and doesn't issue IDP's after all it's not a signatory as stated above. Since it can't issue a IDP then it follows that a PRC issued DL should not be valid, but, they are... this is simply a reflection of various countries softening their respective attitude and approaches to almost anything Ch!na. Go back 10-15 years this could not be any more different. Blame global trade, globalisation and politicians willing to turn 'the other cheek' just to placate and accommodate to the ascending power of the CNY.

It used to be in some parts of PRC DL's were issued to expats complete with foreign names, which would make the use of the PRC DL in English speaking countries that much more worthwhile, but as of a couple of years ago, it would seem that even this option has relented and DL's issued to foreigners are provided with Chinese names only. As I was told when I was renewing my DL at that time, the system had been 'upgraded' resulting in my PRC DL with my foreign name, being renewed with only my Chinese name... yeah an 'upgrade' and a step forward.

If I was a politician it would be a case of, "oh you don't accept foreign DL and IDP's ok", we don't accept yours... in the same way that Ch!na makes it incredibly difficult to allow importation of personal MC, and adds on duties and taxes that inflate the cost to a further 100% above MSRP, now worries, all like products that Chinese companies export from China to said country are also levied an equivalent figure.

Tit for tat... you betcha!

As for PRC DL and IDP's. Different countries, authorities and jurisdictions allow different DL's issued elsewhere to be used depending on personal and individual circumstances, relevant to local regulations and laws e.g. tourist, temporary resident, work permit, new immigrant. Consequently one's resident status plays a significant role.

IDP's can only be issued from the competent and authorised authority from the same country that one's DL is issued. Meaning that buying a IDP over the internet is pretty much a waste of money as they are not a legal document in many jurisdictions. Many IDP are issued for 12 months validity.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-27-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #32 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    The rules for whether someone can use their Chinese license in a western country will vary from country to country and sometimes from state to state. For example Europe mostly will allow visitors to use their Chinese license for 12 months. Some states in Australia could be 3 months, therefore any rider should ask the national licensing authority of the country you intend to ride.

There is also a difference if someone intends to be a resident or visitor, as some licenses cannot be transferred into a local license and a local license is a requirement for a resident. So in the UK for example Chinese license, you can drive on holiday and rent a car, however if you are a resident (for example a student) you cannot transfer a Chinese license and need to do your test again.

3. #33 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Mybe this is a way forwards for people
    who have a Chinese DL and wish to make
    Sure there is no misunderstanding with police
    form other country when driving/riding abroad
    can be done online ! Interesting

https://www.international-license.com/

And for all our Chinese friends here is the
    Link in Chinese

http://www.international-license.cn/

I must point out that these website such as above are not real
    IDP but just a translation of your Chinese DL into 9 languages
    IMO because you can't get a real IDP in China you are left with no option on this front ! But again IMO if you can't obtain a IDP
    this is how I see it

1. when you have nothing you end up with NOTHING!
    2. when you have something you end up with SOMETHING !!
    3. SOMETHING is always better then NOTHING IMO

Now my point is IT could help to have a translated copy of you Chinese DL into 9 other languages or he could not , one has to make up ones own mind on this matter

On my recent trip to Thailand I was not ask for a IDP at the Laos
    border but was ask for one at the Thail border ! but I think the reason the border officer ask was because I was traveling on a British passport , but when I explained that I was not just a tourists in China but live in China all was ok but his request for a
    IDP seemed strange because i presented him with a Chinese DL in the first place ! must be TIT (This is Thailand )
    Last edited by prince666; 07-28-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #34 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The rules for whether someone can use their Chinese license in a western country will vary from country to country and sometimes from state to state.
    I would add ... and sometimes from city to city, and policeman to policeman.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, has a huge Chinese population (around 20%), so the issue of Chinese driving licenses is common. Earlier this year, many Chinese drivers were fined and had their cars impounded for driving with a Chinese DL, even though the government policy is that a Chinese DL is valid for up to 6 months. After paying the fine, and the huge impounding fees (and, of course taxi fees), and taking the issue to court (a LOT of money), some were successful at having a minor victory (i.e., getting the fine negated), some were not.

Finally, after a lot of wrangling between the police and government, Vancouver area police have agreed to stop fining/impounding cars driven by people with Chinese DLs. But that is only In Vancouver. Other cities in the province of BC seem to be doing the fine/impound on an ad hoc basis. Further, other provinces in Canada technically allow Chinese driving licenses to be valid for up to 3 months/6 months (depending on province), but the police can still fine the driver & impound the car, leaving you with little alternative but to take it to court.

5. #35 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I would add ... and sometimes from city to city, and policeman to policeman.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, has a huge Chinese population (around 20%), so the issue of Chinese driving licenses is common. Earlier this year, many Chinese drivers were fined and had their cars impounded for driving with a Chinese DL, even though the government policy is that a Chinese DL is valid for up to 6 months. After paying the fine, and the huge impounding fees (and, of course taxi fees), and taking the issue to court (a LOT of money), some were successful at having a minor victory (i.e., getting the fine negated), some were not.

Finally, after a lot of wrangling between the police and government, Vancouver area police have agreed to stop fining/impounding cars driven by people with Chinese DLs. But that is only In Vancouver. Other cities in the province of BC seem to be doing the fine/impound on an ad hoc basis. Further, other provinces in Canada technically allow Chinese driving licenses to be valid for up to 3 months/6 months (depending on province), but the police can still fine the driver & impound the car, leaving you with little alternative but to take it to court.
    Sounds like B.C. or Canada as a whole really needs to sort out their traffic law and interpretation of foreign driving licenses one way or the other, ambiguous rules like that are insane and unfair.

6. #36 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Sounds like B.C. or Canada as a whole really needs to sort out their traffic law and interpretation of foreign driving licenses one way or the other, ambiguous rules like that are insane and unfair.
    I would say B .C. or Canada is not alone on this. Many countries have different laws in different states or provinces.For example in Australia you can buy an approved helmet in Queensland ride your motorcycle down to Tasmania and find your helmet is not approved in two states you have ridden through.

A large number of police in Australia do not know much about Chinese driving licenses(as really it is the last few years that they are seeing them) and you will find you get a different reaction from different police in different areas well I do.

7. #37 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    C-Moto Noob
    In Australia ... Chinese License holders are valid to drive until a Perm Resident has been granted then they have 3 months to get an Australian License.... they are required though to carry a translation of the Lic and conditions which must be signed and stamped as authentic by a recognised NATA ( a recognised standard) translator.

8. #38 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    In Australia ... Chinese License holders are valid to drive until a Perm Resident has been granted then they have 3 months to get an Australian License.... they are required though to carry a translation of the Lic and conditions which must be signed and stamped as authentic by a recognised NATA ( a recognised standard) translator.
    Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that it varies from state to state. Usually Queensland has the toughest rules (as they are most redneck ) followed by NSW and Vic. SA and WA are often the most liberal varies though.

9. #39 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    C-Moto Noob
    Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that it varies from state to state. Usually Queensland has the toughest rules (as they are most redneck ) followed by NSW and Vic. SA and WA are often the most liberal varies though.
    Pretty sure ...I am an Officer who Tests the Drivers here ...

10. #40 Re: Using Chinese licence abroad 
    Last Spring Festival I called bout renting a car in NOLA and was told they would accept my Chinese Drivers license but not my Bank of America Debit card.
    LMMC/LAMF

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast