Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Newb in Beijing

1. #1 Newb in Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all,

I'm from Sydney and a complete n00b when it comes to bikes, toured central/north Vietnam on a scooter and have been riding one a bit around Chaoyang this summer but am completely lost when it comes to these gear things!

I plan on doing my LTR course next time I'm home and having my license converted but in the mean time would like to take advantage of the warm weather and get a bit of a head start.

I was thinking about a Honda 150RR as a decent starter bike/commuter bike and was wondering if anyone has any advice on dealers that can help with a Jing B plate and are good in terms of servicing.

Cheers

Chris

2. #2 Re: Newb in Beijing 
    I advise you have valid chinese DL for motorcycle first. Jus today near 4th ring WangJing area they had a road block and stopped all kind of motor vehicles. No DL gives you potentially a 15 days "holiday"
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: Newb in Beijing 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    I advise you have valid chinese DL for motorcycle first. Jus today near 4th ring WangJing area they had a road block and stopped all kind of motor vehicles. No DL gives you potentially a 15 days "holiday"
    Second that. I know a lot of guys riding around without DL and not getting caught but just imagine what is gonna happen to your ass should you get involved in an accident.

I know it is hard to wait and the mountains around beijing are tempting... but hold just a little bit longer.

As for bikes: I am a great promoter of the Jialing JH-150-gy and filipu has one for sale at the moment. All clean with legal B plate. But I don't think he will give it to someone without DL.
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

4. #4 Re: Newb in Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the replies guys, you are right a "holiday" does not sound good at all I'll book into Laoshan ASAP, that being said after hearing some of the horror stories about that place I want to get some safety gear first. Does Mr Yu's place stock gear for a fat man with a fat head?

5. #5 Re: Newb in Beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Wmbt

A Honda RR150 is a good choice for a road bike, as is the Jialing 150 (road/dirt).

Yes, you should consider getting your driving license, first. Apparently, there is now a second motorcycle driving school (Dongfang) that accepts foreigners:

http://dfss.51jiaxiao.com/

Also, Laoshan apparently only has one of the two written exams available in English, whereas Dongfang has both available in English.

Re gear. Mr Yu still has a good selection, but most of his in-stock gear was in Chinese sizes. His larger sizes were being consigned out to Jim Bryant's shop, where Bryant was doubling the price for expats. I don't know if Bryant's shop is still doing that. If you went to Mr Yu's shop, he'd probably find something for you, at a respectable price.

Good luck!