Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    the damage isn't that bad, if it wad here in China, a new frame and swingarm would cost less than 100 pounds, problem solved

2. #102 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Perhaps a new frame and swingarm might cost a little Reminbi, but then one has to factor in the time/costs to transplant running gear etc. between one frame and the other and getting it done to a high level of workmanship, as well as factoring the cost of being off the road - forget about whether one has alternative transport or not... make the plonker pay... after all his/her attention was diverted purposefully which lead to the crash, which there for the grace of gawd <insert whatever magical force/fate one subscribes too here>...

The main thing is that WGH was able to get up afterwards, and scribe the report to us.

3. #103 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear WGH,

Glad that you are OK -- though that's really only an assumption, since you didn't discuss your own condition.

Will this cager go to jail for this? It was not an accident, but a criminal act, so they should do time.

And if you get anything short of total compensation plus a pain and suffering penalty, there's something seriously wrong with UK law. I think Serpentza was kidding. Yes, in China someone would polish it up and sell it for new, not even disclosing that it had been in a collision. Take the compensation, and get yourself back on an uncompromised bike.

good luck with the recovery (and litigation)!

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #104 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    Oh Dear

Sorry about that bump, hopefully you are ok.
    Guy pulled out in front of me last week, phone in one hand and the sh!t took his other hand of the wheel to stick his hand out to say sorry, hands free kits are a lot cheaper than the fine and 3 points.

Anyway hope things get sorted quickly for you.

Ian

5. #105 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    Oh

I hope your bad back and whiplash and that pain in your shoulder and hip get suitably compensated.

Ian

6. #106 Re: My Bike turned invisible 
    C-Moto Senior WirralGhostHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    WGH, Rob sorry to read/hear of the crash.
    Did the plonker accept responsibility/liability? Was the plonker at least concerned over your welfare, and/or apologetic? I'd like to hope so...
    No plate on that rear end - was it a hit from the rear while you were stopped at the round-a-bout?
    Hi Dennis,
    Yep a rear-ender, the guy did accept responsibility - no option really lol... I was stopped at a very busy roundabout, I remember checking my mirror, just traffic approaching from behind. Then my attention went to look for a gap to enter the roundabout. Then - WALLOP - happens in an instant - I can remember hitting his bonnet/hood, then being catapulted into the oncoming traffic. There was a guy in a V8 Monaro that swerved around me, he went back around to see if I was ok, in fact he stayed with me until the ambulance arrived and even went to the hospital with me, he let my wife know where I was and stayed until family arrived - top bloke...

I was lucky not being run over by the rush hour traffic............

While on the stretcher, I saw my bike underneath his car - I remember the coolant from his engine pouring onto the ground, and also the damage caused to his car, the front looked caved in, and of course the big dent in his bonnet/hood.

The rest is history.. RIP my poor bike...

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The main thing is that WGH was able to get up afterwards, and scribe the report to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by WasNotWas View Post
    The main thing is that are ok and survived the carelessness of the stupid cager. The bike can always be replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmrr2301 View Post
    Oh Dear, Sorry about that bump, hopefully you are ok. Ian

Cheers guys, I thank my lucky stars - it could have ended so different....

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear WGH,

Glad that you are OK -- though that's really only an assumption, since you didn't discuss your own condition.

Will this cager go to jail for this? It was not an accident, but a criminal act, so they should do time.

And if you get anything short of total compensation plus a pain and suffering penalty, there's something seriously wrong with UK law.

good luck with the recovery (and litigation)!

euphonius
    I was sore for around three weeks after the accident. I was released from hospital after around five hours.

ATGATT - thank goodness I had a full face lid on. The front of it took the collision. I wouldn't have had much of a face left if I was wearing an open face...

Here in the UK, they have introduced something called "DriveSafe", this is where minor offenses are dealt with - its a classroom based course lasting around four hours, It costs more than a fine, but by taking this route, they avoid points on their license.
    I did ask my solicitor, what would happen to the cager, and it looks like he will be offered this avenue - I guess because it was not classed as a serious accident.... Work that one out!

All in the hand of the legal system - but I am claiming against his insurance.

A couple of final words here friends - especially at this time of year - Ride safe........

7. #107 Re: My Bike turned invisible 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Great to hear that you are okay, Rob. Even though the driver hit you from the rear, he might/could of alleged that you stopped/braked suddenly, so some kudos for him putting his hand up and taking on the 'full' responsibility for his mistake. It happens. Not so good news on the bike front, though machines like 99% of all material objects are replaceable, whereas our lives are not.

Still I'm relieved to read that you are okay. On a slight off-topic, I've been finally getting round to editing/reformatting the Nick Sanders videos... down from DVD size and quality to more manageable VCD type size and formats. I'm still on the look out though for the Incredible Ride, of Nick on the XT1200Z...

Right you are then, get yourself all ship-shape, well rested, and have a bloody great BiG MeRrY XmAs... one and all!

8. #108 Re: My Bike turned invisible 
    So sorry to read this, but thankful you are still here to tell us about it! I hope you haven't given up on bikes, but would understand if you did!

9. #109 Re: My Bike turned invisible 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    So sorry to read this, but thankful you are still here to tell us about it! I hope you haven't given up on bikes, but would understand if you did!
    Cheers culcune - not given up on bikes buddy...

10. #110 Happy Chrismas and have a great New Year! 
    To all my friends here.

I wish you all a sincere Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year!

Ride Safe

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast