Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. #81 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I googled the tyres and they are from a german manufacturer who has been making tyres for the past 50 years. I suppose its the old rubber vs nylon but I think the tyres are ok for the price you pay for the bike

2. #82 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    C-Moto Senior WirralGhostHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan tan yu View Post
    I must have ya'll know as soon as now; Kingstone tires are the most slippery. :D (at least from my experience)
    I do stunts (and you know burnouts and drifts are part of them)
    Why all the stress of the manufacturer or on the ply of this tyre??

If they where steel belted - would we want Kevlar belts...

They are more than adequate for this 250 bike, I've ridden them in an absolute torrent of wind and rain today and other times at the bikes maximum speed.

They didn't slip, slide or explode..

As a package this bike and tyres are worth it.

Want different rubber - buy it... or better still wait until you need to replace...

Anyone else with this bike & tyre combo - relax - they are fine...

Now back to my blog...

Peace

3. #83 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I also have these rubber blocks in my cooling fins? Anyone know why?

4. #84 Time line update Sept 2013 (5) 
    The instrument cluster is a little basic - especially with just the odometer and no trip.
    I'm still a little old fashioned too, and prefer things in miles and not kilometers.
    While pondering what to do as regards keeping tabs on distance traveled before I need to fill up again , my daughter asked me to replace the battery on her bicycle computer.

EUREKA!

Ordered one and it landed today..

Will keep you guys posted on how it pans out.

SAM_0994.jpg

5. #85 Re: My blog of a Pulse Adreneline 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by WirralGhostHunter View Post
    Why all the stress of the manufacturer or on the ply of this tyre??

If they where steel belted - would we want Kevlar belts...

They are more than adequate for this 250 bike, I've ridden them in an absolute torrent of wind and rain today and other times at the bikes maximum speed.

They didn't slip, slide or explode..

As a package this bike and tyres are worth it.

Want different rubber - buy it... or better still wait until you need to replace...

Anyone else with this bike & tyre combo - relax - they are fine...

Now back to my blog...

Peace
    Well any tire is good enough for the right user. I'm not hating on these tires in fact I feel bad they aren't available for purchase in my country (Philippines). I would love to have these easily available since like I said these are the easiest to do drifts and burnouts with.

So I'm just talking about comparing it with other tires. It's the most slippery.

Also Kingstone seems to primarily do business with motorcycle manufacturers themselves, since I only find these tires straight out of the factory. I've ridden a CPI GRX 250, CPI Motard 200, MCX Renegade 250 (yep you can search here: www.google.com) and they all came with Kingstone tires by default. I feel bad each time I run out of them

6. #86 Re: Time line update Sept 2013 (5) 
    Early lunch at work, so open the box of the Sigma BC509..
    First impressions of build quality appear good.

Initially I thought it would just be a "Trip" device.

Quite surprised it has:

1. Actual speed (this will be fun comparing with the bikes speedo)

2. Trip distance.

3. Total distance.

4. Riding time.

5. Clock.

It is able to display in Miles or Kilometers...

Set up looks like a breeze, and it unmounts from its dock too...

Looking forward to the weekend (and some good weather) to get this little beasty fitted...

7. #87 Re: Time line update Sept 2013 (5) 
    Looking forward to you sticking that thing on might get one if it works ok.

Bike had her first service, complained about the throttle settings and the speedo which was swinging wildly, getting a new speedo and right hand switch assembly.
    Since I am such a short ar*e I had to do something with the seat height so I opened the shock settings as much as they would go, this gives more sag in the shock spring so sits lower, put 30mm bar risers in and lowered the front forks by 40mm, can now flat foot and I feel much more comfortable coming to a stop.
    Only problem is the kickstand is now too long and the bike is almost vertical when on the stand.
    Will have to investigate how to make is shorter without cutting and welding, maybe just elongate the hole where it fits to the chassis but not yet looked to see how much can be filed away.

Still having fun though :)

Ian

8. #88 Re: Time line update Sept 2013 (5) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmrr2301 View Post
    Bike had her first service, complained about the throttle settings and the speedo which was swinging wildly, getting a new speedo and right hand switch assembly. Ian
    Hi Ian, what was wrong with your throttle settings? Why are you getting a new switch assembly? Only asking because mine has quite a bit of free play on the grip, and the assembly doesn't quite grip the bars tight, just a slight up and down play.. The first service is a bit of a joke, 186mls or 6 weeks which ever is the soonest.. I think I racked that up the first day...

Since I am such a short ar*e I had to do something with the seat height so I opened the shock settings as much as they would go, this gives more sag in the shock spring so sits lower, put 30mm bar risers in and lowered the front forks by 40mm, can now flat foot and I feel much more comfortable coming to a stop.
    Only problem is the kickstand is now too long and the bike is almost vertical when on the stand.
    Will have to investigate how to make is shorter without cutting and welding, maybe just elongate the hole where it fits to the chassis but not yet looked to see how much can be filed away.
    Sounds like you've got your bike sorted, nice one..

My bike is stock height and the stand holds it nearly vertical.. A week or so ago, we had some heavy winds, a gust blew my bike over.. Luckily it fell against the Zongshen (forgotten project) and was spared damage.. I now put the wheelie bin between the two - just in case............

Still having fun though :)
    I agree, these bikes are a lot of fun - shiny side up buddy

Looking forward to you sticking that thing on might get one if it works ok.
    Timeline update coming up :)

9. #89 Time line update Sept 2013 (6) 
    Autumn ?

Today was like a midsummer day....

OK, time to install my Sigma computer.

I wish all jobs were this easy.

Any how I started work from the sender up. Off came the right side fork cover. Look for a suitable place to start, keeping in mind the max distance between the sender and magnet is 5mm..

Bottom of the speedo cable looks like the place, and indeed were it was duly attached.

Now the magnet side, hmmm.. spoke slot made for bicycle spokes...

I found a drill bit slightly smaller diameter than the bike spokes, and while the drill was running, I carefully stroked the magnet along it to widen the gap.. Test fit - perfect..

This is held in place by a friction slide on sleeve - nice tight fit.

OK, I cable tie the first six inches or so of the Sigma cable to the speedo cable. Route and hide the rest up to the handle bars...

You are given the option to either use the supplied rubber rings to mount the hardware, or cable tie for a more permanent job- I went for the latter.

All fitted within half an hour or so.

Next measure the wheel circumference - 73 inches - google to 1854mm.

Five minutes setting up the computer with this and opting for MPH...

Went out for a little test - would the magnet stay on? Would the speedo work? Is it removable - prevent it getting pinched like my Oxford timepiece? Was it worth the money and time to install?

YES - on all counts..

I will get someone to pace me to see how accurate the reading are - but so far - damn close to the bikes speedo..

Stay tuned for in-depth testing...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Oh! A couple of weeks ago - noob mistake - ran out of fuel on the motorway.. Luckily all turned out fine - rescued by a biker (in a car).. I don't want to have that happen again - I may not be that lucky again.. Any how, found a 2 litre petrol can on ebay (Vespa riders use them and keep them in their knee locker)..

I utilized a couple of spare awning rubber tie downs and fabricated a couple of anchor points to my top box... Little bit of piece of mind now - an extra 30 miles or so - just in case.....

Peace :)

5.jpg

10. #90 Re: Time line update Sept 2013 (6) 
    The problem with the throttle is the moulding which holds the throttle cable in place doesn't have a/the piece of plastic which stops the throttle turning too far (as in too much throttle) so a new switch assy is on its way.

The servicing schedule is an expensive joke, i have looked at the schedule given to me by the mechanic and worked out my anticipated annual commute and it seems i will need the 6 services in a 12 month period.
    £80 * 6 = £480, i am really wondering if i would be cheaper not having the services done (and doing a couple myself), other than a new engine or frame i think i would be very unlucky to have to spend nearly 500 quid on parts in 12 months.

Ian

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast