Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Pulse adrenaline possible carb problem? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Ok so its been a while since I last posted and got some great tips and help.

Ive finally found time to go and do my CBT and get on the road after fitting a new wiring loom and getting new plastics and what not for my bike.

I have a 15 mile trip to work every morning (10 of them 70mph roads) but my bike is really struggling to get above 50 on a good day! When I bought the bike the previous owner had the airfilter replaced with a K&N filter and the exhaust removed and replaced with a Yoshi can which to be fair is probably some cheap imitation knocked up in a Vietnamese sweat shop!

Now knowing this I thought maybe my problem might be the jet in the carb, so got a couple of jets on amazon (110 and 105).
    When I opened up the carb I cleaned it out and changed the jet which already was a size 105, so took it out and swapped it for the 110 and put it all back together again. Took the bike out and it was awful!! Anytime you got the throttle past halfway the bike would start jerking and spluttering almost as if the engine was being flooded? So took it out and put the 105 back in but now im still stuck with a bike that does 50mph. One thing I have noticed is when I get around the 50mph mark I get the jerking and spluttering again. Is it possible that I need to put in an even smaller jet size?

Just a bit confused as folk on here that have the same type of filter and exhaust have all got 110 jets in their carbs yet my bike wont even entertain it!

Also in case your wondering I have a 48tooth sprocket but still the standard on the front.

Do I bite the bullet and let a professional look at the bike or is it something that between us we can figure out?

2. #2 Re: Pulse adrenaline possible carb problem? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I once had the exact problem due to my main jet being way too big.

Prehaps the new 110 jet is defective or had the wrong size printed on it or something, order one from here and see how that goes.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: Pulse adrenaline possible carb problem? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Spencer,

Ordered a new one and it should arrive today, I got one of the machinists where I work to check the size of the first one I bought and it measured up just fine?

4. #4 Re: Pulse adrenaline possible carb problem? 
    C-Moto Guru
    It does seem weird that a 110 main gives worse results than a 105, a 110 should be spot on for your config.

Do you know if you have the stock carb (VM22) or an aftermarket carb? The stock carb has a 26mm diamater outlet. If you have an aftermarket carb like the VM30 they can be hard to tune and they dont play well with 125s as they are too big and usually poor quality.

When you change the jet again make sure that the thing that it screws in to is not loose, it can come loose when you unscrew the main jet and could cause excess fuel to get past. I belive you need an 8mm spanner to tighten it.

Just to rule out the posibility check for intake leaks by spraying water around the intake manifold with the engine running and see if the idle changes.

Makre sure the air filter isn't clogged up, it wouldn't hurt to dip it in something to clean it such as white spirits.

If you can't get it working it might just be easier to order a new carb as this could very well be a faulty carb, they are only £23 which is cheaper than a mechanic would charge to look at your bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26mm-ATV-Q...item20d4c9c7fb
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

5. #5 Re: Pulse adrenaline possible carb problem? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Ok so its been a while since I last posted and got some great tips and help.

Ive finally found time to go and do my CBT and get on the road after fitting a new wiring loom and getting new plastics and what not for my bike.

I have a 15 mile trip to work every morning (10 of them 70mph roads) but my bike is really struggling to get above 50 on a good day! When I bought the bike the previous owner had the airfilter replaced with a K&N filter and the exhaust removed and replaced with a Yoshi can which to be fair is probably some cheap imitation knocked up in a Vietnamese sweat shop!

Now knowing this I thought maybe my problem might be the jet in the carb, so got a couple of jets on amazon (110 and 105).
    When I opened up the carb I cleaned it out and changed the jet which already was a size 105, so took it out and swapped it for the 110 and put it all back together again. Took the bike out and it was awful!! Anytime you got the throttle past halfway the bike would start jerking and spluttering almost as if the engine was being flooded? So took it out and put the 105 back in but now im still stuck with a bike that does 50mph. One thing I have noticed is when I get around the 50mph mark I get the jerking and spluttering again. Is it possible that I need to put in an even smaller jet size?

Just a bit confused as folk on here that have the same type of filter and exhaust have all got 110 jets in their carbs yet my bike wont even entertain it!

Also in case your wondering I have a 48tooth sprocket but still the standard on the front.

Do I bite the bullet and let a professional look at the bike or is it something that between us we can figure out?

**completely off subject but was it hard to fit new wiring loom? Mine set on fire today, my own fault to embarrassing to tell, I need full new rewire