Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Talk carbs to me 
    I've rebuilt the engine, valve clearances set and I jetted up assuming it was the correct thing to do, now I have a non starter. Can someone give me hints on carbs in general as there's barely any useful information on mr google.

Ie I found only two pages amongst many that says if you increase the cc of the engine which I have the jets will now supply more fuel due to more vacuum, so rather than jetting up you may have to jet down, is this correct as I've been jetting up and having little success?

Also what is the rule of thumb for bigger carbs, I previously had a bigger carb running before the big bore kit and managed to tune that reasonably well using a colortune, when you increase the carb size do you jet up or down?

Again what is the typical rule of thumb regarding higher lift cams, regarding jetting?

I know these are stupid questions but asking google gives me the usual tosh of generically tuning a carb nothing to do with how more cc effect it nor the effects a bigger carb has on jet sizes. Also any more additional information from peoples experiences with carbs will be useful, as I've discovered mikuni label their jets by cc/min but it doesn't help in anyway at all as applying injector calculations are completely useless, its a shame no such calculator exists for carbs.

Thanks in advance!
    Lexmoto XTR-S 156FMI (156cc big bore) - 163FML Cams (+1mm lift) - Foam Filter - Sports Exhaust - 17T Sprocket - 110 Main Jet - PZ30 Carb - Aprillia RS Ignition Coil - Casoli CDI

My Project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

2. #2 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Well, it has been a very long time since I've been involved with an over bore, and it was always on big block car engines. But the principles should be the same.

If anything, the jet sizes should remain constant, assuming the bike was running fine before. You are simply sucking more mixture through, at a constant air/fuel ratio. If your engine is running odd, and you think it is a mixture issue (plugs are the key for reading this), you will probably want to go down a little on the jet size (Holleys were notorious for this). The increased lift cam will help move the air in/out, but watch your clearances and lash. And, in the old days on big blocks, it seemed a slightly increased adjustment to the timing (dwell) was necessary, firing an additional degree (or so) after TDC. Electronic ignition makes this last point moot. Also, on a small motorcycle engine, it is probably not a concern.

If you want it perfect, pay the money and put it on a dyno with an air/fuel sensor - an experienced operator/mechanic can get the jets perfect. Not sure about dyno costs in the UK. Also, use old tires: dynos eat tires for lunch.

BTW, here's an MCM linkie with a bit of info.

3. #3 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    Thanks, thats exactly what I've been looking for I don't believe I've been jetting the wrong way round!
    Lexmoto XTR-S 156FMI (156cc big bore) - 163FML Cams (+1mm lift) - Foam Filter - Sports Exhaust - 17T Sprocket - 110 Main Jet - PZ30 Carb - Aprillia RS Ignition Coil - Casoli CDI

4. #4 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    C-Moto Guru
    I found that I needed smaller jetting after I installed my big bore but then I needed bigger jetting after I installed my 30mm carb.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

5. #5 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    Turns out my issue was valve clearances, it's running now only at around 3/4 to full wot it bogs down. it's a pz30 carb with a 105 main. Do you think it needs bigger or smaller Main jet

6. #6 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    C-Moto Guru
    Well we have different engines and setups so we probably need different jetting but I have a 115 in mine so that would probably be a good starting point, also you have a performance exhaust whereas I do not so you may need something even bigger.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

7. #7 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    are you running a 30mm inlet carb with a 26mm rear?

Will try a bigger main tomorrow, just need to sort out my choke as its a 1/8th away from being fully open and I'm unsure if this is the issue contributing the bogging down.

8. #8 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    C-Moto Guru
    30mm inlet with 46mm rear I believe.

9. #9 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    30mm inlet with 46mm rear I believe.

46mm across as is flange or in diameter of carb?

Do engines make a distinct noise when under fueled or overruled as I'm trying to work out what way things are going asy colortune is broke.

10. #10 Re: Talk carbs to me 
    C-Moto Guru
    The outer diamater of the bit that the filter fits on to is 46mm.

No idea about the noise, I just made an adjustment then rode it to see if there was any difference in power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast