Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Need more information to decide between Benelli and CFMoto 
    1. Warranty for each bike how long vs how many kilometers? How well honored is any warranty?

2. Oil quantity and availability of filters?

3. Parts availability and cost? Especially tires and brake pads, but also levers, mirrors pegs and rotors. Not keen of Cheng-Shin, prefer western branded rubber mostly Bridgestone.

4. Any data or heresay on failure rates?

5. Any bike have ABS or will go ABS? How much more if so?

Opinion so far: CFmoto is probably better put together and more reliable bike with better customer service.
    Benelli is much 'more bike' for the money and much faster and more exciting with better tires, brakes, engine power and suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    1. Warranty for each bike how long vs how many kilometers? How well honored is any warranty?

2. Oil quantity and availability of filters?

3. Parts availability and cost? Especially tires and brake pads, but also levers, mirrors pegs and rotors. Not keen of Cheng-Shin, prefer western branded rubber mostly Bridgestone.

4. Any data or heresay on failure rates?

5. Any bike have ABS or will go ABS? How much more if so?

Opinion so far: CFmoto is probably better put together and more reliable bike with better customer service.
    Benelli is much 'more bike' for the money and much faster and more exciting with better tires, brakes, engine power and suspension.

Can't speak to the benelli, but here's what I know about the CF:

1. Warrantee is for 2 years, unlimited km. this includes standard fluid changes and inspections at Mingfan moto, not sure about other dealers.

2. The 650nk takes 2.6 liters of 15w 40 oil on a dry engine with a new filter. The CFmoto oem filters are cheap and easy to find. For a long trip, you could easily stash a couple in a saddle bag - they take up as much room as a small coffee mug.

3. Parts are easy to find on Taobao and most accessories made to fit the Kawasaki the NK was "modeled on" seem to work. Ive seen brembo brakes on an Nk, but even the owner said the stock brakes are actually better. The brembos were not ABS. Tires are standard tubeless 58h 120/70r17 at front and 69h 160/60r17 at rear. One of the guys at MF moto has Pirellis on his and another has Bridgestone, but they had to be smuggled in because of some weird rubber embargo?

4. Anecdotally, the only problems I've had with my NK have been due to crappy QA in the assembly. All relatively minor, loose cables and stuff like that. The components and performance have been flawless so far, and so far as my limited experience allows me to judge.

5. CFmoto has promised an ABS upgrade for the NK available this year. I can't remember what Jeff told me the price was going to be, but somewhere in the 3k rmb area, I believe.

I'm not sure what you get with the Benelli, but the price difference is fairly substantial for what is still a Chinese made bike. I think the forks are a pretty big deal for serious riders, but the Benelli seems to be just a bit more flash, really. Never ridden one though, so couldn't say for certain.

3. #3 Re: Need more information to decide between Benelli and CFMoto 
    Thanks Micah, this is exactly the information I needed. I hope someone can tell me the Benelli information just as accurately.
    Quote Originally Posted by themicah View Post
    I'm not sure what you get with the Benelli, but the price difference is fairly substantial for what is still a Chinese made bike. I think the forks are a pretty big deal for serious riders, but the Benelli seems to be just a bit more flash, really. Never ridden one though, so couldn't say for certain.
    Big price difference? I was told the NK is 35,000 and Benelli 37,500. Plus 500 registration. Probably a tad more by now.
    There is much more going on with the Benelli rather than just 'flash'. First you get Metzler tires, vs the pedestrian Cheng Shins on the CF. Also a four cylinder is a very different engine from a twin.

Glad to help! Like I said, I've only ridden the NK and I like it. When I priced them at Mingfan moto a few months ago, the Benelli would have come in at just under 90k with the Hu c plates. The CF was closer to 50. Again, just anectodotal, but hope it helps. If I had the cash, I probably would have gone with the Benelli, but in that price range it seems like you'd be better off buying an imported Suzuki or Honda.