Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi everybody.

I need some advice. I've decided to purchase either a new YBR 250 or GW 250. Done deal. However I really want to break whatever I buy down into a cafe racer. In my opinion the YBR has the cleaner lines that would allow for an easier cafe racer mod, but I really love the dual exhaust setup on the GW.

Please help with your opinions. I value everybody's input :)
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

2. #2 Re: YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Agreed, the YBR is probably the way to go. Not too difficult to do a 1 into 2 exhaust. The GW is more of a sportbike appearance, especially when one removes a lot of the extra plastic.

3. #3 Re: YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I hate to be a grinch, but if you seriously modify your bike, you almost certainly will have problems at registration or re-registration time. By a strict reading of the rules, you are not even allowed to change the color of the paint!

cheer!
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    So then if you're going to be riding an illegal bike, why don't you just find an illegal import Kawa W650 and cafe the shit out that. Probably cost about the same.

5. #5 Re: YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    I agree with Felix, why do it?
    I'd just buy a 2nd hand Honda CB400 or something and ride it in the country all cafe style. Otherwise you'll make a lovely new bike from legal to illegal.

Also I disagree, a GW250 is a better bike than a YBR250, the engine, brakes and suspension are superior, not only that but it's a twin and closer to a real cafe racers' DNA than a single. All those plastic bits can be removed and the hangers ground off, back-end chopped off and the cafe seat.

6. #6 Re: YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Assuming you are plating the bike, or buying an already existing reg'd bike (note that there ARE several YBRs and GWs without plates around), don't worry about the modifications, as long as you can bolt on/off prior to the 2 year inspection. Lots of guys do this. By the way, getting preapproved for a color change is easy in Beijing (one trip to the Inspection Yard at the G1 & 5th Ring Road to get the approval, one trip to get new pictures). I saw someone with a metal flaked Candy Apple Red done legally on a legal scooter.

The nice thing about starting with a legal bike, is that you can always go back to 100% legal status. You can't ever do that if you start with an illegal bike. And remember, although you might think your design ideas are the greatest thing ever, a future buyer might not. Being able to revert at time-of-sale is valuable.

There is a premium shop (foreign owned) in Beijing that does quality mods. If you explain that you want the bike to be easily returned to photo-legal status, I'm sure the shop can come up with some good ideas. PM me for details, or drop by one of our Tuesday nighters. The shop owner often pops by.

The GW, which is known as the GSR250 in Japan, has several examples of modified bikes on Japanese websites. It has been a big hit there. Pretty much everyone has turned the GSR250 into a lightweight pocket-rocket, but I haven't seen any cafe-style conversions.

I think an example of a YBR, turned cafe, would be interesting. By the way, because I have ownership experience with each of these bikes, I watch the Chinese forums for ideas/comments/discussion about them. I've noticed that the honeymoon period with the GW appears to be waning, and people are rekindling their love affair with the tried & true YBR.

7. #7 Re: YBR 250 vs GW 250... cafe racer conversion 
    C-Moto Regular
    I do indeed want to plate the bike and keep it so that I can easily revert back to photo original body.

Does this shop owner happen to drive a really loud scooter? I think I may have met him last month at Frost bike night.
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi