Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Shanghai riding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai riding 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi.....been living in Shanghai for the past year and thinking about getting a new bike. Haven't ridden since I left the states. Any advice on where to get an R7 or on license requirements? Have CT issued M license and china resident permit. Thanks for any insight. Keep it on two wheels :)

2. #2 Re: Shanghai riding 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Jenn,

Welcome to MCM. You're off to a good start by having a valid US motorcycle license and residency. Your Chinese license will be relatively easy. Not sure what to say about the R7, unless you are talking about an unregistered bike for the track. Though there are many around, presumably gray or black market imports, big Yammies are not legally for sale in China.

I suggest you spend some time browsing the many threads in MCM about what's legal and registrable and what's not. At the risk of being accused of self-promotion, you might start with this Getting Legal thread. You might also check out the more recent threads by themicah and miles82, who have been riding the bejezus out of their new 650NKs. They've done a lot of the homework that you are about to do.

Look forward to meeting, and riding.
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Shanghai riding 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Jenn,

Welcome to MCM. You're off to a good start by having a valid US motorcycle license and residency. Your Chinese license will be relatively easy. Not sure what to say about the R7, unless you are talking about an unregistered bike for the track. Though there are many around, presumably gray or black market imports, big Yammies are not legally for sale in China.

I suggest you spend some time browsing the many threads in MCM about what's legal and registrable and what's not. At the risk of being accused of self-promotion, you might start with this Getting Legal thread. You might also check out the more recent threads by themicah and miles82, who have been riding the bejezus out of their new 650NKs. They've done a lot of the homework that you are about to do.

Look forward to meeting, and riding.
    euphonius
    Ok...just read "getting legal thread" and while great info...feeling kind of discouraged. Are there agents I can hire to do this for me? Also, am a bit confused on how to reply here...only see this "quote" button....is this right or am I missing something?

4. #4 Re: Shanghai riding 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Hi.....been living in Shanghai for the past year and thinking about getting a new bike. Haven't ridden since I left the states. Any advice on where to get an R7 or on license requirements? Have CT issued M license and china resident permit. Thanks for any insight. Keep it on two wheels :)
    Hi Jenn, I am selling this one. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...cc-accessories check out. if you have the valid Chinese driving license you would be ready to go.

5. #5 Re: Shanghai riding 
    Ok...just read "getting legal thread" and while great info...feeling kind of discouraged. Are there agents I can hire to do this for me? Also, am a bit confused on how to reply here...only see this "quote" button....is this right or am I missing something?
    Discouraged? Wait till you actually start riding here! Part of the joy of riding in China derives from perseverance that it takes to get past all the indignities you'll encounter en route to the many, many brilliant and wonderful places that China offers for riding (mostly but not all in its western regions). Riding here is not for the faint of heart. You have to set aside everything you know from riding in America -- the ease and convenience, the fair and equal treatment and respect one (usually) encounters, the vast selection and value that can be found -- and confront the challenges of China. Then when you find yourself in the midst of a spectacular ride, hundreds of which you'll find posted here in MCM, your feelings of accomplishment will be 1000 times greater.

MCM itself is an amazing resource, as dboaro's post to you here shows. You'll find tons of support here as you move forward.

But no one will say it's easy.

cheers
    euphonius
    Last edited by euphonius; 08-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #6 Re: Shanghai riding 
    Any advice on where to get an R7 or on license requirements?
    Wikipedia: ...The Yamaha YZF-R7 OW02 is a race homologation motorcycle of limited production run of only 500 units. It was designed to compete in the Superbike World Championship and Suzuka 8 Hours endurance races.

Well, good luck finding one in the rest of the world, let alone China...

On a more serious note, there are several nice bikes for sale if u are a track-rider, but be careful with what u buy. Looks and technical state are not always the same in China.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai riding 

Andrew Stroud OWO1 750 Yamaha F1 by jorvikiwi, on Flickr and prior to that was the OWO1 this fine example having been raced in the Japanese and aussie superbikes found it's way to nz and cemetery circuit sometime in the 80's it sure was impressive back in the day
    BRITTEN .. Burt Munro Challenge .. WYNDHAM , NZ. by wazzieeee, on Flickr...the rider then went on to win a world championship on this bike which seems to have been dragged out of a museum to race in 2009...would love to see the Chinese try to reverse engineer this,lol...sorry for the hijack just couldn't help myself.

8. #8 Re: Shanghai riding 
    Now u are on to it, not to forget rare road legal version, needed for the homologation of the beast.
    Man, how I hope you will find one here.

Yamaha%20R7%20%205.jpg

9. #9 Re: Shanghai riding 
    ...Are there agents I can hire to do this for me? Also, am a bit confused on how to reply here...only see this "quote" button....is this right or am I missing something?
    There are two ways to post a comment. Clicking "quote" puts the previous comment in a quote box, which you then can edit (as I've done here). Or click "post reply" at lower left and you'll get a fresh clean window in which to reply.

As for agents for helping you register your bike, yes these exist but generally are not needed if you buy a new bike because the dealer will sort out your plate. If you buy a legal used bike you work with the seller to effect a transfer to your name. It's not hard because the bike is already plated so there's no need to procure a plate, which is the trickiest part.

Again, this is not Kansas, so things may seem challenging and opaque and maybe frustrating. But you signed up for those things by coming to China in the first place. We roll with the punches and for most of us this makes the riding even sweeter.

Cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #10 Re: Shanghai riding 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    ...As for agents for helping you register your bike, yes these exist but generally are not needed if you buy a new bike because the dealer will sort out your plate. If you buy a legal used bike you work with the seller to effect a transfer to your name. It's not hard because the bike is already plated so there's no need to procure a plate, which is the trickiest part...
    Cheers
    euphonius
    Just to clarify for those not in the know... the above statement varies by ones geographic location, since not all things are equal in PRC. In many provinces/cities plates are taken back by the traffic management bureau/PSB where bikes/vehicles current plate was obtained... then after payment of fees, then either transfer to new documents and plate for the new owner or transfer of file in sealed envelope given to the new owner to take to another jurisdiction which will issue new documents and plate etc to be completed within 3 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast