Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Introducing myself - willing to buy a bike - doubts in regards license plates 
    C-Moto Noob
    My name is Cris, Brazilian. I've been living in Shanghai, nearly 2y.
    I hold a legal Chinese drivers license, (thou I passed the written exam, no info related to plates themselves).

Recently, I went to a shop in Hongqiao to see a 650cc CFMoto, I wanna buy it, but I dont understand how the license plate system works in Shanghai.

I was told there are several types of plates (yellow n blue), plate C to use outside SH and, another type for downtown Shanghai (Luwan, Xujiahui, Huangpu etc..).

Many ppl told it's okay to get a plate from another city n ride in SH, (personally, I never found it hard to drive a petrol scooter, no plate. Indeed, from what I was told, its license plate s ard 10k.... well, a scooter is 2.500, not worthy to pay the price of the license, even if the cops take one way, u can buy 3 others).
    Is it okay to use a C one in Shanghai?, because they are cheaper... Still, at the shop, the seller told me, "it does not matter what type of bike u get, scooter or big ones, the license plate is the same price". Which I doubt, again, some ppl told me that for scooters plates are ard 10k, big bikes ard 70k.. and depending on, you can transfer/ use for a car.
    I was even suggested to register the C one under a Chinese person's id.
    Where can I get precise information abt it?

Thanks for the attention,

2. #2 Re: Introducing myself - willing to buy a bike - doubts in regards license plates 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi Cris welcome to MCM (mychinamoto). All the questions you have asked you can find answers to either by using the search function top right hand corner, or sometimes even better to use Google search engine and just add mychinamoto alongside your question or search etc. Another idea might be to just casually explore MCM. Start by clicking on the "forum" button near the top left corner of the MCM webpages. I have linked this already to help you get started.

In reply to specific questions. Firstly be careful, don't rush your purchase decision, as you could easily be swindled, plenty of scammers etc that will convincingly take your cash. What you need to understand about plates in Shanghai is that the traffic managment bureau (public security bureau traffic section) does not issue any NEW plates for motorcycles. Instead, motorcycle plates are bought and sold between buyers and sellers from the existing pool of available plates on a free market type system. This differs from most other parts of China aside from Beijing. Whereas in these other provinces, cities and towns where motorcycle plates are issued, the plate issued is tied to a bike and it's lawful registered owner, until such time as the either the bike is scrapped or sold. Shanghai differs in this way, since a plate and a bike can be separated and the bike or plate sold separately and independently of one another. This does not happen in most other parts of China. I realise you are asking specifically about Shanghai plates, but I just want you to understand that what applies in Shanghai and to a lesser extent Beijing which has a similar system, does not apply in most other parts of China.

So you find a new bike you want to buy like the CF650, here's what you need to consider. First you have a PRC issued motorcycle drivers/riders licence, Next as long as you have a temporary residence/work permit and are registered with the PSB, then you have to apply/bid for a licence plate. This can usually be handled by most reputable motorcycle dealers who in turn might use an agent to facilitate obtaining and buying a Shanghai plate on the second hand motorcycle plate market. Now there is another consideration, and that is your registered residence location within Shanghai. If you live in the downtown area, you'd be expected to buy a Shanghai A plate, meaning you can ride in the downtown areas on roads that don't forbid motorcycles. Yes, if you haven't learnt already, motorcyclists are discriminated against in PRC. Here's the kicker, Shanghai A motorcycle plates prices are anything north of CNY90,000-100,000. This is why some downtown living motorcyclists obtain Shanghai C plates which are allocated to residents living in outlying areas of Shanghai since the prices of these plates are substantially less (from about CNY15,000+), although also restricted in terms of availability/supply and restricted to the areas where these plates are allowed e.g. forbidden to be used in Shanghai downtown areas etc. If caught then an instant fine of CNY200 can result, when using outlying area plates. Plates issued in other jurisdictions e.g. other cities, also carry similar restrictions. Obtaining out of town plates for a motorcycle is possible, but it's complicated and you'd need to know what you're doing, and consider inspections etc. I'd suggest shying away from an out of town plate offer until you learn the complexities.

This is where the advice from your sources has kicked in, about using agents or companies to register and plate your bike in a Chinese or company name. The company or Chinese likely is registered outside the downtown area and therefore can better obtain the C plate. This is where you need to use caution though, since the bike and plate might be registered in that persons name... and not necessarily yours. This might lead to problems later on down the track. Now if you have a Chinese GF or local friend that might assist, but consider where the relationship might be in the future.

Another tactic sometimes used is that a motorcycle seller/dealer might attempt to convince you that a foreigner cannot legally own a motorcycle (mostly untrue), or it cannot be plated in your foreign name, or it must be in a Chinese name. This is not entirely 100% correct, though it can differ depending on location where one it attempting to plate a vehicle (especially a motorcycle since many cities ban motorcycle use and consequently these cities authorities do not provide motorcycle licence plates), and the laziness/knowledge of the person behind the counter inputting the data in the PSB registrations system. Even if they're adamant you have to plate the bike using a Chinese name, you can give yourself a Chinese name, and in Shanghai I believe there's a system where the PSB issues a ID card that links your foreign name, passport number and your chosen Chinese name. This card is not widely available in other parts of China though.

I mentioned scrap dates. Motorcycles have a scrap date issued from when they are first plated. Depending on where the motorcycle is first plated, it can be either, 9, 11 or 13 years. This means the bike can used legally on the road for that period of time, provided it has a valid inspection date and insurance (compulsory). At the end of the scrap period (9,11 or 13 years) the bike has to be removed from the road permanently irrespective of condition/mileage. Bit of a joke really.

When a new motorcycle is first plated, it has to undergo an inspection which will usually be completed by the traffic PSB where the plates are issued (but not always). The first inspection is good for 2 years. The second inspection has to be undertaken at the two year inspection date otherwise the bike is no longer legally allowed on the road. The second inspection is good for another two years. Then another two year inspection, followed by yearly inspections up until the scrap date. This is where most of the limited supply of motorcycle plates in Shanghai comes from, off of scrapped motorcycles that have reached the end of the designated life. One other complicating factor is that a Shanghai motorcycle plate can be exchanged for a car plate, but not from a car to a motorcycle plate. When a Shanghai motorcycle plate is exchanged for that car plate, then consequently the possible pool of plates decreases by one, exacerbating availability and prices.

A Shanghai A plate would cost upwards of three times the cost of your intended new CF650.
    There are some blue plates around for motorcycles, but these are for gas/small engined <49cc bikes. Also some cities had amnesties long ago for bikes that were illegal or without the correct documentation and these motorcycles were issued green plates.

Insurance has to be kept current all the time the motorcycle is being used on public roadways etc

Think I've covered most of what you need to know.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-08-2013 at 12:13 AM.

3. #3 Re: Introducing myself - willing to buy a bike - doubts in regards license plates 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you for your time and response.
    Thanks a lot mate.