Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    C-Moto Regular
    My friend and me are planning a motor tour from shanghai to Singapore. Much inspired by London to cape town trip, coast to coast.
    here is the plan, 1 JH600A and 1 HD 883. First we start to cheat a little bit. we wont ride the whole trip from shanghai to Yunnan. It will be done by the great service from Deppon logistics. I have used it to ship back my jh600 from Lhasa to Shanghai 2 years ago. It was great service within very reasonable price.
    So we pretty much start our tour from Sina-Laos frontier, then through the long thin Laos until Cambodia. then we go down to the Sihanoukville. Rest and enjoy couple of days sunshine, fly back shanghai, work couple of days and fly back cambodia.
    Depart from Cambodia, we will go through Khmer Siem border by coast. Stop in Phuket from some days rest. Malaysia no idea yet, maybe just quick through. End in Singapore. Ship back motor and fly back.

We will do it in next Januaray. Any suggestion and advise is much appreciated.

2. #2 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Why stop in Singapore??? Catch a ferry to Indonesia, and island-hop down the archipelago to East Timor, and catch a ferry there to Darwin! The do the big western coastal loop through Perth to Melbourne and on to Sydney. Are there ferries from there to Auckland?

Hey, why come back!

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Best wishes on your trip!

A Chinese friend of mine in Beijing did a very similar trip in January 2012, but he rode all the way from Beijing, and also the return (I recall it was a total of 13K kms, but I might be wrong). He went solo, on an 883, although his wife joined him for a small part. I think he went through 4 countries in SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos), but I forget. He entered from Yunnan, and returned the same way, if I remember correctly.

This particular trip was featured in Motorcycle magazine, issues 05 and 07, 2012 (all in Chinese). You can often find old issues in bike shops. I could scan the articles and post them here, or email them to you, if you cannot find them. He also posted the ride report on the HOG website, but I can't seem to find it. Sorry. His HOG posts detailed the procedures & documentation, and I seem to recall that it wasn't that difficult.

I can also put you in contact with him. He runs a motorcycle shop (RPMCN) in Beijing. Here is his shop's website:

http://home.51.com/rpmcn

Detail about his trip is on his shop's website (he has posted several of his trips - I think he put something like 60K on his 883).

I think he also has a taobao shop with the same name (RPMCN).

Good luck!

4. #4 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    C-Moto Regular
    hihi,
    your suggestion is truly long way down. unfortunately i dont have that much luck. better ship the bike from singapore to Australia if i really want to see the kangaroo :)

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Why stop in Singapore??? Catch a ferry to Indonesia, and island-hop down the archipelago to East Timor, and catch a ferry there to Darwin! The do the big western coastal loop through Perth to Melbourne and on to Sydney. Are there ferries from there to Auckland?

Hey, why come back!

euphonius

5. #5 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    C-Moto Regular
    thanks, that's very helpful. HD883 is really a liability as i see. my wing man has only one seat, no luggage rack. it means i have to carry all his belonging. possibly an extra jerry for his tiny tank sake.
    so far we know the customs formalities for chinese registered bike is very easy in thailand and Laos. Cambodia, i could speak a little bit Khmer plus some help by greenback, so it should be no problem too. Vietnam, mmm.. big headache. samo samo communists there, maybe no chance for us.
    How about Malaysia and Singapore? do they require a carnet for vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Best wishes on your trip!

A Chinese friend of mine in Beijing did a very similar trip in January 2012, but he rode all the way from Beijing, and also the return (I recall it was a total of 13K kms, but I might be wrong). He went solo, on an 883, although his wife joined him for a small part. I think he went through 4 countries in SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos), but I forget. He entered from Yunnan, and returned the same way, if I remember correctly.

This particular trip was featured in Motorcycle magazine, issues 05 and 07, 2012 (all in Chinese). You can often find old issues in bike shops. I could scan the articles and post them here, or email them to you, if you cannot find them. He also posted the ride report on the HOG website, but I can't seem to find it. Sorry. His HOG posts detailed the procedures & documentation, and I seem to recall that it wasn't that difficult.

I can also put you in contact with him. He runs a motorcycle shop (RPMCN) in Beijing. Here is his shop's website:

http://home.51.com/rpmcn

Detail about his trip is on his shop's website (he has posted several of his trips - I think he put something like 60K on his 883).

I think he also has a taobao shop with the same name (RPMCN).

Good luck!

6. #6 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fons View Post
    HD883 is really a liability as i see. my wing man has only one seat, no luggage rack. it means i have to carry all his belonging. possibly an extra jerry for his tiny tank sake.
    Personally, I would prefer taking the JH600 (your ride), but an 883 can be outfitted appropriately. I scanned some pics from the magazine articles, including a synopsis of where he went (including Vietnam, for a total of 14K) ... click for larger images. You'll notice his basic kit when he was 2-up with his wife, as well as his solo kit, when he did some off-road muck ...

Yu Zi Shu trip 01.jpg
    Yu Zi Shu trip 02.jpg
    Yu Zi Shu trip 03.jpg
    Yu Zi Shu trip 04.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fons View Post
    so far we know the customs formalities for chinese registered bike is very easy in thailand and Laos. Cambodia, i could speak a little bit Khmer plus some help by greenback, so it should be no problem too. Vietnam, mmm.. big headache. samo samo communists there, maybe no chance for us.
    How about Malaysia and Singapore? do they require a carnet for vehicle?
    Since his trip, quite a few other local Beijing riders have followed his route, and expanded into other countries. Collectively, they are probably an excellent source of information. If you contact Yu Zi Shu, I am sure he'd help out. He`s a good guy.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    C-Moto Regular
    The mud is awesome, i like it. My wing man with his hd833 is in bj. I will go to bj these days. We should try to contact these fellas. Thanks ur info.

8. #8 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    JoK
    hi

can I join u on the trip to Singapore ?
    Suzuki GW 250

9. #9 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    JoK
    HI fons

can I join your guys for the trip to Singapore in Jan 2014?
    Suzuki GW 250

10. #10 Re: Shanghai to Singapore by Indochine 
    C-Moto Regular
    are you in yunnan? which city? sure, we will do several stages. in between the stage, we will back china, then fly back again. we will work out a plan in sep. i will send you. pls pm me your contact detail. whats your equipment?