Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    First of all, thanks Sabine , Shuben and Thomas for you words about the reliability of the bike, I appreciate this;it is a nice one. Regarding the quotes of being lucky ridng the bike downtown; I personally never faced any incident, even police cars or police motorcycles passing by without batting an eyelid. I'll be doing this for already two years, also using my bike going to work for quite some time to avoid traffic jams and to cut down unnessecary time on the streets. However, I'm leaving in December, gotta sell it now.
    Despite the sales topic, I saw that some of the previous posts to this thread were a bit exaggarated; no hate brothers and sisters :-). I'm just trying to find a new owner for my bike; regardless if Bejing downtown, Shanghai, Inner Mongolia or the moon. Thanks again and all the best to all of you guys! Safe rides and plenty of sunshine!
    Last edited by Normski; 08-11-2013 at 10:59 PM.

2. #22 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    ... and also i heard stories about how easy it is to Register
    Yup, back in the good-old-days, it was a total of 120 rmb for a legal plate transfer & inspection. Last legal one I purchased was in 2006 (an indestructible 24hp that survived 3 winters in Harbin), and the "agent fee" was an extra 30 rmb (when the rmb <-> US$ was about 8:1). The agent came & picked up the bike, took it for inspection & registration transfer (2 different places) and brought it back. Took him half a day ... for about $3.50.

it has to clearly pointed to a potential buyer what's about the real validity of the docs
    Exactly, and also the potential risks. One of the dirty little secrets that CJ Shops conveniently forget to inform buyers is as follows ...

=================

Law of the People's Republic of China on Road Traffic Safety
    Article 100 - Where a self-assembled motor vehicle or a motor vehicle old enough to be scrapped is driven on roads, the traffic control department of the public security organ shall confiscate it and compulsorily scrap it.

A driver who drives on roads the motor vehicle mentioned in the preceding paragraph shall be fined not less than 200 yuan but not more than 2,000 yuan and his driver's license shall be revoked.

Where a motor vehicle old enough to be scrapped is sold, the unlawful gains shall be confiscated, a fine equal to the amount of money obtained from the sale of the vehicle shall be imposed, and the vehicle shall be disposed of in accordance with the provisions of the first paragraph of this Article.

===========

I've only ever heard of one story where a foreigner's expired bike was confiscated & scrapped, but there are a few stories on Chinese forums. The biggie, however, is that last paragraph. It is one of the reasons why a CJ shop owner I know is very reluctant to sell his bikes in Beijing. If an unhappy buyer gets pissed off (e.g., the bike is confiscated), he/she could make life miserable for the shop owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Normski View Post
    ... ridng the bike downtown; I personally never faced any incident, even police cars or police motorcycles passing by without batting an eyelid.
    You may not be aware that the vast majority of police cars, etc, you see are not the Traffic Police. They are police from other departments, or even the local district chengguan. I haven't seen any road blocks this year, yet, but they do happen ... and it only takes one road block with one angry policeman, and you're toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Normski View Post
    I'm just trying to find a new owner for my bike; regardless if Bejing downtown, Shanghai, Inner Mongolia or the moon.
    Seriously, I wish you the best of luck in your sale. IMHO, you will have MUCH better chance of a sale, if you put it on Chinese websites that cover the provinces outside Beijing. That is what the CJ Shop I know does, and he seems to be successful. He has said that local sales to foreigners have pretty much dried up. Of course, though, you won't recoup the foreigner-premium that the Beijing CJ shops charge.

3. #23 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I was trying the best of myself to stop from replying to this post, but I couldn't. I'm sorry to push it up, but after reading it carefully from the beginning to the end I just can't.
    Probably the owner is already gone or the bike has been sold, but... I just can't agree more with Lao Jia Hou, the post is really misleading and can confuse lots of Expats with little to none knowledge about PRC traffic rules or Laws, which could lead them directly to pay an insulting amount of money, jail or deportation (in the best possible scenario) in some cases when involved in an accident, not to mention the money they would have to pay because the insurance is not liable when the vehicle involved is "illegal" or "illegally assembled". If you don't know about this issue is because you probably don't even have a legal Chinese driving license or you got it illegally. I have read a post saying that "i have been stopped by Police several times but all they wanted me to do is to take a pic of them on my rides" which I won't discuss, as I have been witness to one too many awkward situations of law enforcement, but again, the least you can say about this, specially when, I assume, you know the rules, is that you have been very lucky... It is like when somebody tells me that has been stopped by the police in a routine control after being drinking and could get away with it. Sorry but I find it horrible! So you break the law, put others at risk and you make a joke of it!!!! It's not something I would be proud of or post about, but I have my own conscience.
    You want to drive an illegal bike. Ok, fine, but please, don't make a joke out of it. Don't minimize it, DON'T ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO BREAK THE LAW as you were or you are still doing. If you don't care about Chinese laws its (not) fine, but I just wonder how would you feel about a foreigner breaking the traffic laws back in your own home country (GERMANY in this case) and caring shit about it, even mocking about it on Internet forums. Other poster seemed to be riding bikes without even a license for a long period of time, even illegal bikes, attacking a responsible and caring member that, as far as I know, is always helpful, caring, knowledgeable and responsible as Lao Jia Hou is just simply and plain stupidity. Time puts everybody in it's place.
    As far as I am concerned, it would just be easy to post the advertisement somewhere people with little to no knowledge can answer it (as you have done, I am not going to post the address, I will just point that I didn't refer to this forum but to another website/magazine that a lot of foreigners acces to).
    Anyway, you are asking, more or less, the same price you paid for your custom bike, which, I think, in my opinion, even with a BMW engine, may be a little too much, for that price you can buy a ... (But it's just my opinion) good luck and good riddance.
    I hope that the reason you cannot take it to "India" is because you do not have the proper legal paperwork... after all you can have been scammed too and you are just trying to pass it to somebody else after you have enjoyed it for a while...
    As I said before, good riddance
    Last edited by Desmo; 11-30-2013 at 04:24 PM.

4. #24 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    It's easy to see both sides of this problem. China gives out mixed messages. Seems either lax as fook or draconian with no 'reasonable' middle ground.

Message A: In China there is the law, then again there is what people actually do. Most motorcyclists don't have a helmet license and so on, so some people think to copy what is done is fair enough especially when their behavior is condoned and accepted by various police officers. A foreigner on a respected and famous Chinese brand motorcycle will likely be able to get away with running a bit illegally. You may even be able to ride an illegal bike around central Beijing for years or ride a stolen in HK Gixxer 750 with no plates between SH and BJ, and be welcomed by the police.

Message B: In China there is the law laid out by the government. Zero tolerance for any alcohol and driving, speeding, red light fines are that law. Deportation, fines and imprisonment for non-compliance.

So what's going on? Clearly Message A is simply an example of corruption, as time passes this will most likely become less acceptable. On the other hand this kind of corruption is a result of laws that are too harsh. Why not allow a vehicle to be customized and ridden on the street, if it is safe and has met emission standards? But it isn't fair to attempt to sell a motorcycle to someone without them being aware of the risks of riding it. Saying 'I've never had a problem' is just misleading because every year the chances of having a 'problem' grow and grow and also smacks of the ebiker riding down the wrong side of the street rationalization: 'everyone else does it'.

5. #25 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    I was trying the best of myself to stop from replying to this post, but I couldn't. I'm sorry to push it up, but after reading it carefully from the beginning to the end I just can't.
    Probably the owner is already gone or the bike has been sold, but... I just can't agree more with Lao Jia Hou, the post is really misleading and can confuse lots of Expats with little to none knowledge about PRC traffic rules or Laws, which could lead them directly to pay an insulting amount of money, jail or deportation (in the best possible scenario) in some cases when involved in an accident, not to ,
    the reason you cannot take it to "India" is because you do not have the proper legal paperwork... after all you can have been scammed too and you are just trying to pass it to somebody else after you have enjoyed it for a while...
    As I said before, good riddance
    just for my interest: how Long have you been living in BJ or China?
    http://www.4444-Chang-Jiang-Design.com

6. #26 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Tx for the endorsement, Desmo.

The whole legal / illegal bike situation is a can of worms. CJ shops (and most owners) rationalize the illegal bike trade because ... well ... that is their business/situation. Somewhat analogous to street chuan'r vendors selling rat meat as lamb - the vender isn't going to be upright & honest. I think this bike was initially purchased for >80K from Bryant's CJ shop (according to Normski).

In an email to the local riders, attempting to market his used bike, Normski mentioned that this initial > 80K price included >30K for the engine (Bryant's BMW engines are second-hand, usually purchased off eBay in the USA). I think the bike finally sold for about 30K (IMHO, that price still seems high), to a recent expat arrival (according to an email I received from this new owner).

There is definitely a CJ subculture in Beijing, distinctly separate from the mainstream motorcycle community, although this CJ subculture is greatly dwindling in numbers each and every year. There are a few legal CJs running around (e.g., 2005 registrations), and they sometimes come up for sale. In typical CJ subculture fashion, CJ sellers are trying to flog the legal CJs with an asking price that includes the price of a legal 京A plate for 2-wheeled bikes (currently around 60K rmb) ... when, in fact, a legal 京A plate for sidecars (3-wheels) is running around 15K rmb these days.

By the way, any time a person starts presenting facts about CJs, or illegal bikes, the ad hominem attacks quickly appear. The CJ shops, and their minions, have to attack you personally, because they can't argue the facts.

7. #27 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    By the way, any time a person starts presenting facts about CJs, or illegal bikes, the ad hominem attacks quickly appear. The CJ shops, and their minions, have to attack you personally, because they can't argue the facts.
    Exactly, case proven above. Also just by saying you personally don't enjoy riding three wheelers, pointing out they are slow, unreliable and heavy can be enough to create aggravation.

8. #28 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Exactly, case proven above. Also just by saying you personally don't enjoy riding three wheelers, pointing out they are slow, unreliable and heavy can be enough to create aggravation.
    What do you mean CJs are slow, unreliable and heavy???? What would you know, you ignorant slut!

euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #29 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    just for my interest: how Long have you been living in BJ or China?
    A little bit longer than 4 years now.

10. #30 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    What do you mean CJs are slow, unreliable and heavy???? What would you know, you ignorant slut!

euphonius
    He did not say it. It was the old man "blind eye Beijing"
    ....... and merry Christmas to you all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast