Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Legal - illegal, legal - illegal
    Hard to tell in China. I met these guys on the road and it seemed like they dont have any problems riding their bikes and they are as illegal looking bikes as it gets (sorry for bad pics, i was just snapping away)

2. #32 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    ... it seemed like they dont have any problems riding their bikes ...
    really?????

Those Costa Coffee choppers look like there would be plenty of problems riding them on Chinese roads, especially on wet days with no rear fender! Or any roads with bumps greater than a few cms. Or any roads with corners.

Re illegal bikes - same as anywhere, when you sell an illegal bike, be honest about it. Actually, same principle applies with legal bikes. This REALLY rings true with expats, and especially FOB expats. We should be helping each other out, especially China newbies, not ripping them off because TIC!

If a person wants to partake in illegal bikes, go for it ... just don't start crying when the shit hits the fan. If a person rides further than Costa Coffee, and often enough, their number will come up one day.

3. #33 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Legal - illegal, legal - illegal
    Hard to tell in China. I met these guys on the road and it seemed like they dont have any problems riding their bikes and they are as illegal looking bikes as it gets (sorry for bad pics, i was just snapping away)

The reason it's fine for these guys to ride these bike is because they are loaded. If something happens or they get unwanted police attention they have deep pockets to pay out and high connection 'guanxi'. Plus this is their likely only ride outside the city this year and it's probably more like a photo-shoot than a ride. They don't really know how to ride. You can see that but the fact that one of them is happy to fit 'ultra-cool' car tires to their ride and another guy appears to be using half a leather satchel for a seat. They probably have BMW 7 series, Lamborginis and Ducatis at home anyhow.

4. #34 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    really?????

Those Costa Coffee choppers look like there would be plenty of problems riding them on Chinese roads, especially on wet days with no rear fender! Or any roads with bumps greater than a few cms. Or any roads with corners.

Re illegal bikes - same as anywhere, when you sell an illegal bike, be honest about it. Actually, same principle applies with legal bikes. This REALLY rings true with expats, and especially FOB expats. We should be helping each other out, especially China newbies, not ripping them off because TIC!

If a person wants to partake in illegal bikes, go for it ... just don't start crying when the shit hits the fan. If a person rides further than Costa Coffee, and often enough, their number will come up one day.
    fully agree!
    http://www.4444-Chang-Jiang-Design.com

5. #35 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The reason it's fine for these guys to ride these bike is because they are loaded. If something happens or they get unwanted police attention they have deep pockets to pay out and high connection 'guanxi'. Plus this is their likely only ride outside the city this year and it's probably more like a photo-shoot than a ride. They don't really know how to ride. You can see that but the fact that one of them is happy to fit 'ultra-cool' car tires to their ride and another guy appears to be using half a leather satchel for a seat. They probably have BMW 7 series, Lamborginis and Ducatis at home anyhow.
    yep that's for sure!

is all about money and guanxi

btw: those tyres are shinko classic motorbike rubbers and i had 'em on 2 of my rigs also - and yes they handle pretty good

6. #36 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    btw: those tyres are shinko classic motorbike rubbers and i had 'em on 2 of my rigs also - and yes they handle pretty good
    DSC_5760_zpsc3a4bba9.jpg
    These square tires handle pretty good? On a three wheeler, yes maybe. On a two wheeler? I'll stick to Michelin, Continental, Pirelli thanks.

7. #37 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    DSC_5760_zpsc3a4bba9.jpg
    These square tires handle pretty good? On a three wheeler, yes maybe. On a two wheeler? I'll stick to Michelin, Continental, Pirelli thanks.
    i didn't say you should change your tyres i just pointed out that with 3 of my CJ solos i used these tyres without any problem and handling was ok - i didn't mentioned these tyres are any good for ridin' high speed or whatever

shinko double-whitewall front an tail

shinko black front and tail

another bike with the same wheel 'n tyre combo

shinko whitewall on tail

all bikes are in Europe now - 2 of them still with me

8. #38 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you personally I feel the same way about any bike. I want the best functioning part I can have. I would never sacrifice function to have a bike that looks a certain way. But then I ride purely for the ride, exactly the same as when I ride mountain bikes I want the best tires. I'd never put an inferior set of tires on it for some appearance sake, to me the beauty is in the functionality.

9. #39 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    As the CJ has a live rear axle any discussion about tyres is probably moot

10. #40 Re: custom motorcycle for sale 
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you personally I feel the same way about any bike. I want the best functioning part I can have. I would never sacrifice function to have a bike that looks a certain way. But then I ride purely for the ride, exactly the same as when I ride mountain bikes I want the best tires. I'd never put an inferior set of tires on it for some appearance sake, to me the beauty is in the functionality.
    no problem!

everything should be best for it's purpose and you are right - those tyres ain't made for highspeed curves that's for sure

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234