Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Chinese CF650TR tourer worth taking away? NZ review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Review: Stuff motoring
    Reviewer: Paul Owen

AT A GLANCE
    Engine: 649cc liquid-cooled DOHC 8-valve fuel-injected parallel twin; 51kW (69bhp) at 8500rpm; 62Nm at 7000rpm.
    Transmission: Six-speed sequential gearbox, chain final drive.
    Frame: Steel-tube trellis frame with triangular steel swingarm; 41mm unadjustable Kayaba telescopic front forks; Kayaba rear monoshock adjustable for spring preload.
    Price: $9990.
    Hot: Looks like it should cost $20,000; has most of the basics sorted; comes complete with integrated lockable panniers and fully enclosed fairing.
    Not: Side stand is too short; pannier locks feel flimsy; touring loaded hurts sprinting ability; zero brand cachet; weak brakes.

650TR-paknsave.jpg

An aura of the robust simplicity of an AK-47 assault rifle surrounds the new 650TR tourer from Chinese bike-maker CFMoto.

It probably won't withstand years of neglect and still be an effective tool for repelling imperialist invaders, but you sense that it is built to cope with the rudimentary roads of rural China.

The solid construction of the frame and running gear is unique in these days of mass-sensitive motorcycle design. It's as if the creators of this cheap yet effective tourer had some isolated rutted track in Mongolia in mind as they wielded their crayons across the drawing board, instead of the usual smooth hot-mix bitumen surfaces of roads in Japan, the United States and Europe.

his means that nobody should expect the 650TR to conform to normal standards of motorcycle performance. The 220-kilogram mass of the bike is quite a lot for the 649cc parallel-twin engine to cope with. Fortunately, the liquid-cooled unit makes about 70 horsepower thanks to CF Moto's unashamed copying of Kawasaki's ER-series engine and it has a similarly willing and lively personality as its Japanese counterpart.

However, a sumo-sized bike was never Kawasaki's intended application for this engine and putting it to work in a fully dressed tourer is a bit like sentencing a slightly built student radical to years of hard labour in the coalmines.

Some of the perkiness of the original ER twin remains, nonetheless, and it eventually emerges from beneath a heavy layer of touring-bike robustness whenever the rev counter registers 6000rpm and beyond.
    These are engine speeds that need to be kept in mind if you are seeking to spend as little time on the opposite side of the open road while overtaking slower traffic on the 650TR. The slightly agricultural shifts of the six-speed gearbox are therefore a necessary evil that must be endured before initiating the manoeuvre.

With sixth gear being almost as lively as an overdrive on a bike with such an imbalanced power-to-weight ratio, it's best to chop the gearbox down at least two ratios, if not three, before passing.
    At 8500rpm, you'll find the 51 kilowatt peak power output of the CF Moto, at which point it's best to shift up a gear again, for revving the bike to the 11,000rpm redline only produces a lot more noise, vibration and harshness, but little appreciable progress.

Speaking of noise, the engine of the 650TR sounds great, with more aural appeal than the Kawasaki unit upon which it is based. There are, surprisingly, other charming aspects to the 650TR.
    It has an originality that its 650NK street-bike sibling lacks, as no other bike maker currently makes a full dresser with a middleweight engine.

The execution of this unique concept isn't bad either. The requisite panniers are nicely integrated into the overall design, and there are things all bikes should now have, such as LED daytime running lights and strips of LED indicators that no other road user can surely fail to see.

The mirrors remain respectfully clear throughout the engine's rev range on the 650TR, and the high-rise handlebars benefit from rubber mounting.

650TR-tank_view.jpg

The switchgear layout and instrument legibility aren't the issues that they are for some more recognised brands. It has taken almost a century for some Italian motorcycle brands to get their head around some of the basics of bike building, yet CF Moto appears to have sorted most of these out in less than five years.

Wider demographic modelling would be helpful, for you have to be a certain size to feel comfortable on the 650TR. I'm of average size for a Caucasian, yet my knees came into annoying contact with the edges of the bike's fairing, and I only just got them tucked into the bike. Any Kiwi of above-average height will have to ride this bike with their knees splayed out into the wind and will feel equally cramped by the high positioning of the rider's footpegs.

The latter do help the CF Moto to achieve more sporty handling characteristics than most sports tourers, however, and the 650TR is an enjoyable bike to chuck around with its light and neutral steering.
    Kayaba suspension and Cheng Shin rubber also enhance the bike's prowess on twisty roads.

The former might lack any adjustment up front and possess only the ability to tweak spring preload at the back, but it did feel well dialled in for a rider of my 75kg fully suited-up weight.

As for the tyres, scepticism soon gave way to nearly total trust as they handled everything that a storm-ravaged back road could throw at them. All that's missing is a bit more brake performance.
    At $9990, you'll never buy more bike for your money, especially if you're willing to gamble on a newly minted brand from a Communist country with no Consumer Guarantees Act.

As for me, I'd rather track down a genuine second-hand Kawasaki ER, preferably the superbly comfortable Versys.

© Fairfax NZ News

2. #2 Re: Chinese CF650TR tourer worth taking away? NZ review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    IMO, I have to agree to some of the observations of Paul Owens' the reviewer.

I'm being a little critical, perhaps overly so, but the cost of the 650TR isn't cheap in PRC. I've got high expectations, and if CFMoto and other PRC manufacturers want to compete, then they need a good dose of reality about what discerning consumers want and expect. So here's my thoughts...

Fit and Finish (my rating=good)
    Good depth to the paint, but then if I had the right tool to measure to the micron I might have a different opinion, but I don't so good it is. Seems like there is use of at least one coat of a clear gloss lacquer. No bolts or securing devices loose, yet. Nothing rattled free or fallen off. A few omissions follow...

Screen

Wind is directed to the upper chest, depending on ones height. No adjust-ability, and to include something similar to a MADSTAD bracket would have been such a simple bit of R&D. So in other markets where air is clearer and somewhat reasonably cleaner, a wind blast to the face not a big problem. In PRC not so much. Dirty air, full of all kinds of debris, having a higher screen or adjustability is needed. CFMoto apparently have a higher/taller screen, so essentially a shorty for summer and one slightly 3-4cm taller for all other times, which IMO inside PRC is year-round. I'm attempting to get one of the taller screens from CFMoto today, they're checking. We'll see. As it is, I've adapted how the screen is fitted so that the higher mounting points are raised away (sit a little more vertical). Had to mill or ream out the mounting holes in the screen to allow for angle changes for the bolts. Installed longer bolts, and inserted some rubber sleeves that the bolts fit through between underside of screen and topside of the tupperware. Works okay, but a taller screen with the same set-up would work better. The screen needs a upward curve near the top like many screens - which would help redirect wind blast. Work in motion.

Side panniers. (my rating=average-poor)
    The panniers positives are that they hold a full face helmet each, so plenty of room for touring luggage or shopping. The bags have a solid feel and as they are bolted/fixed to the sides of the bike (non-removable). So far seems as though the panniers are water resistant, despite there being a 2-3mm gap (tolerances) in places between the pannier body and lid, while the remainder tolerances are less.
    The side pannier locks have a somewhat lack lustre & non-reassuring feel to them, especially enhanced as the long ignition key, which is used on the pannier locks too, have a somewhat restrictive tight fit to get into the lock key-way, since the locks are partially obstructed by the pillion grab rails.

Inside the panniers, there's no fun fair. No felt lining or any lining at all, just the bare ABS plastic. This is in contrast to what Shanghaifingers reports (in his 650TR thread) since his panniers had a felt lining. So where's mine? Perhaps linings were only provided on those who bought the first production run of the model, and/or for export sales only. If not then this omission might point to poor QC/QA control systems. Called CFMoto today, but after checking, was told no, linings not available.

Omission of any type of restraining straps inside the pannier is an oversight too especially factoring in my other pet peeve with this bike. No centre stand! And the too-short-a side stand.

Side stand. (my rating=poor)
    As the review (above) found, the side stand is way too short. Meaning that the bike when parked on the side stand leans far too much to the LHS. Consequently when one is using the LHS pannier, that have no restraints of any description to hold back any loaded items, it becomes a bit of battle to secure what's placed/loaded into the pannier, while trying to close the lid and secure it only further complicated by the finicky locking mechanism. Refer to the comments above about the locking mechanism. A touring bike, chain final drive and no centre stand... WTF!? Someone in CFMoto R&D needs a rocket. I don't give a rats-arse that the oversized muffler slash collector box and the lack of an under slung frame boss (being that the engine forms a stressed member of the frame) make it more difficult to allow for the inclusion of a centre stand. Should not be my problem, but thanks for making it mine CFMoto. It's a touring bike, and touring bikes have centre stands 'nuff said.

Front dash. (my rating=poor)
    The omission of a clock is an annoyance, and wouldn't have stretched the R&D yuan budget to have been included. What is a nasty surprise and oversight is the complete lack of any trip-odometer, and given how inaccurate the LCD fuel gauge bar display is, only makes the omission all that much more painful. One has to mentally take note of the odometer mileage in an effort to assess how much fuel remains onboard given how inaccurate the fuel gauge is. Alternatively one could stop, turn the bikes engine off, remove ignition key, use said key to open fuel cap and look inside the tank to guesstimate fuel volume remaining. Good one!

At night the neutral light and the high beam lights are far too intense/bright, so much so that they give off far too much glare and are distracting if not dangerous. Raising ones hand to obstruct the offending warning lights, only serves to reinforce this view. I found exactly the same complaint on the CFMoto Jetmax CF250t-6A maxi scoot. My easy remedy/fix/solution to this, is to apply a little window tint film (same as applied to inside of car windows) to those offending areas of the dash display. Works a treat.

It's worth noting that according to the CFMoto USA website, the 650TR (650TK) model being marketed there includes a trip-meter and a clock on the display, so I'll check my CFMoto factory sources in that regard about getting a new display etc. Mind you could be an oversight with a TIC moment, or as is the case with some manufacturers (Benelli/Qianjiang) and their BJ600 (marketed as a BN600 in global markets) with export models being retrofitted with higher level spec'd components e.g. Brembo brakes, suspension components etc. Replacing the lower spec domestic manufactured/sourced items. Supposedly so, as the domestic market is more price conscious. I've my misgivings over such claims given that the BJ600 is not a cheap proposition at some 元46000 MSRP. Similar pricing as being offered in most global markets. If I was a local, I'd be somewhat annoyed, no, offended. At least give me the option of having the choice at the spec level I might want.

Headlights & LEDs. (my rating=poor)
    The inclusion of LEDs up front just below the headlights is a nice thought, but again lacks in application as the LEDs are not bright enough, to be able to be used a substitute for 'headlights on' for daylight riding. Rather than the bright lumens as found on most LED driving lights e.g. AUDI, VW, BMW all of which tend to standout from the masses, making said vehicle conspicuous, the 650TR LEDs are awash in the background, and don't add much visibility until the bike is real close, maybe too close. Pity really.

The headlights themselves have adjustability compliments of knobs on the back of each headlight. The access to the adjustment though is a little tight either from up top reaching down between the steering head, fairing/dash display and fork downtubes or from up underneath the front fairing. The headlights throw a fairly good pattern, but really suffer for the lack of lumens (brightness) again just like the LEDs. A pair of H8 35w bulbs just don't provide enough throw, penetration or spread on a bike capable of 200km/h+. I'm looking for suitable replacements but will have to pull one bulb to determine exactly what type of fitting is used to find if a H11 55w is a plug and play option for the OEM H8's.

Speaking of headlights, here in PRC, the headlights are switch-able, meaning on, park (LEDs) or off, as opposed to always on - as they will likely be in some global markets due to regulations etc. With the headlights switched to on, both LEDs and the LHS headlight illuminate when low beam is selected. High-beam selection activates the RHS headlight, so that both LHS and RHS headlights are illuminated. The use of the passing switch illuminate both headlights if they are not already switched on (meaning off or park), if they are, then only the RHS headlight which is only for high-beam, illuminates. The LHS headlight only provides a low beam spread, across both sides and in front of the bike and it is fairly well defined. The addition of the high beam via the RHS headlight, provides a beam above that thrown by the LHS headlight. Works well if not for the low lumen and resulting poor penetration, well until cornering, where regardless of low or high beam use, the beam spread drops away far to quickly and abruptly when tucking into the corner. Consequently one is somewhat riding blind in this situation, and I have to say it's far more pronounced than any other bike I have in my fleet (XT1200Z, XVS1100, AN650K3, AN650k7, BMW-K1 and Jetmax). To some extent all motorcycles have light spread dropout while cornering, but the 650TR is way more pronounced. There's just no reflected light, so one rides into ones own dark spot. Scary!

Indicator LEDs
    The indicators are LEDs integrated into the mirror pods up front, and these LEDs are bright. No missing those when on. So why oh why not use the same spec LEDs in the parklight fabrication/design. Actually, why not add an additional row of white LEDs on the bottom of the indicator LEDs to add some presence of the bikes outline. Seems like with a little additional forethought, for little extra cost, little subtle changes could've been included for little extra cost/work.

Seat (my rating=average-poor)
    Cannot compare the suppleness or caress of the 650TR seat to that of my AN650's or Dragstar 1100 Classic (XVS1100). Okay the seat on the 650TR isn't that bad, it has some padding, so it's not like it feels like as though I'm sitting on a plank of wood, well not for the first several hours at least. There is some padding on the riders half of the seat, but most of it is towards the rear portion of the riders half of the seat - towards the hump that defines the riders half of the seat to that of the pillion. I've found that the riders half of the seat has a slope toward the tank/front and I've found myself, sliding further and further into the tank, despite my lifting posterior by standing on the pegs for a moment for re-adjustment and respite, then trying to take advantage of the aforementioned rearward cushioning, however it's not too long before I find myself once again sliding in-toward the tank. After several hours of this, it's often time to take a pit stop. I'll look to see what solutions there might be to remedy this. Perhaps adding taller rubber inserts/grommets under the seat might work? I'll report back.

Brakes (my rating=better than average)
    Responsive, assuring feel through the right lever and even the foot pedal. No ABS, which is a shame. Nothing beats ABS IMO and experience, except if one is a MotoGP or WSB rider perhaps.
    No brake fade on hot spirited mountain rides. Both front and rear brakes offer up plenty of feel, and seemingly provide plenty of stopping power. I'd have liked the inclusion of ABS, and understand that this is a possibility in the near future, so have to wait and see I guess. As the brakes are though, they work, scrubbing off speed with ease.

Horn (my rating=meh [poor])
    Sounds like a single tone, meh! Not much penetration and the decibels are likely around 80db give or take. Not exactly earth shattering, and won't win any look at me awards. Not confidence inspiring. Replacement and upgrade to undertaken soon.

Switchgear (my rating=average)
    Functional, but not confidence inspiring. Won't win any aesthetic or form/function awards any time soon. Find that there's too much of a reach for my right thumb to get to the horn button. Meaning that the button doesn't fall to my thumb or my thumb to the button as readily as doing the same on my Burgman 650. I use the horn a lot, it's China, where everyone has to fight for the claim to any slice of real estate. If you are a two wheeler, even more so!

OEM Parts!
    That brings me to the other point of contention, the 650TR parts list. Again it's an excel spreadsheet just like the one for the Jetmax. Where a diagram with numbered items appear on LHS page with a applicable parts list on the RHS page, it's cumbersome and disjointed to use, and fark me, can't anyone at CFMoto just produce a parts list in PDF format with searchable terms? Oh, wait they'd need to have English terms first. I dunno how distributors and dealers contend with this? Sucks, IMO! They've got the owners manual in PDF (clap clap), but here's the rub, where consumable items are referred to in the user manual, the inclusion of the relevant part number would've been really helpful - but they're not.
    Reading the manual for the Burgman, or Super Tenere or even the Dragstar, any serviceable or consumable item like spark plugs, filters etc., mentioned in the user manual, then the relevant part number appears too. Not hard.

Back to the parts list though. Few of the parts have English names and some that do, well Chinglish comes to mind. OK, they're a Ch!nese company - if you are going to offer something globally employ a good translator, or send out to a reputable company and get it done right, first time, every time.

When I asked for a parts list today, I was sent the same parts (in excel) list I already had dated March 2012. So what no updates? The problem is that there are some serious part omissions in the parts list, e.g. no part number or even a drawing specifically of the oil filter, or air filter. There is an oil filter, it's shown on the engine parts list page, but even that only lists superficial items, and the oil filter isn't one of them. When I asked for replacement air filters, the parts dept at CFMoto thought I meant oil filter. Eventually they understood, but ,no, no air filters available. I am guessing that it's just a foam filter element, same as the Jetmax. I will do some comparing this weekend.

more to come....

650TR CFMoto factory stuntman video
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-23-2013 at 11:20 PM.

3. #3 Re: Chinese CF650TR tourer worth taking away? NZ review 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    the bike looks very capable, quite nimble for a touring bike.

funny how the guy did all those stunts with remarkable control and balance then stall the bike in the end

4. #4 Re: Chinese CF650TR tourer worth taking away? NZ review 
    thanks for posting that bikerdoc. interesting that they even try to sell this bike in nz seeing as you can ride from one end of the country to the other in two days. agree about the centre stand , you cant very well pitch this thing over a log to deal with the chain. I feel it's unfair to compare it to a versys even if they share the same engine design. it's a fully faired tourer with hard cases and I'm not even sure what niche a versys is supposed to be in , naked hooligan weapon perhaps? anyway Kawasaki has been building twins for many a year going right back to the gpz 500, 20 years ago. as far as crashability goes I wouldn't bet on those handlebars surviving much of a prang. which could be awkward if you were too far off the beaten track.

5. #5 Re: Chinese CF650TR tourer worth taking away? NZ review 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    IMO, I have to agree to some of the observations of Paul Owens' the reviewer.

I'm being a little critical, perhaps overly so, but the cost of the 650TR isn't cheap in PRC. I've got high expectations, and if CFMoto and other PRC manufacturers want to compete, then they need a good dose of reality about what discerning consumers want and expect. So here's my thoughts...

Fit and Finish (my rating=good)
    Good depth to the paint, but then if I had the right tool to measure to the micron I might have a different opinion, but I don't so good it is. Seems like there is use of at least one coat of a clear gloss lacquer. No bolts or securing devices loose, yet. Nothing rattled free or fallen off. A few omissions follow...

Screen

Wind is directed to the upper chest, depending on ones height. No adjust-ability, and to include something similar to a MADSTAD bracket would have been such a simple bit of R&D. So in other markets where air is clearer and somewhat reasonably cleaner, a wind blast to the face not a big problem. In PRC not so much. Dirty air, full of all kinds of debris, having a higher screen or adjustability is needed. CFMoto apparently have a higher/taller screen, so essentially a shorty for summer and one slightly 3-4cm taller for all other times, which IMO inside PRC is year-round. I'm attempting to get one of the taller screens from CFMoto today, they're checking. We'll see. As it is, I've adapted how the screen is fitted so that the higher mounting points are raised away (sit a little more vertical). Had to mill or ream out the mounting holes in the screen to allow for angle changes for the bolts. Installed longer bolts, and inserted some rubber sleeves that the bolts fit through between underside of screen and topside of the tupperware. Works okay, but a taller screen with the same set-up would work better. The screen needs a upward curve near the top like many screens - which would help redirect wind blast. Work in motion.

Side panniers. (my rating=average-poor)
    The panniers positives are that they hold a full face helmet each, so plenty of room for touring luggage or shopping. The bags have a solid feel and as they are bolted/fixed to the sides of the bike (non-removable). So far seems as though the panniers are water resistant, despite there being a 2-3mm gap (tolerances) in places between the pannier body and lid, while the remainder tolerances are less.
    The side pannier locks have a somewhat lack lustre & non-reassuring feel to them, especially enhanced as the long ignition key, which is used on the pannier locks too, have a somewhat restrictive tight fit to get into the lock key-way, since the locks are partially obstructed by the pillion grab rails.

Inside the panniers, there's no fun fair. No felt lining or any lining at all, just the bare ABS plastic. This is in contrast to what Shanghaifingers reports (in his 650TR thread) since his panniers had a felt lining. So where's mine? Perhaps linings were only provided on those who bought the first production run of the model, and/or for export sales only. If not then this omission might point to poor QC/QA control systems. Called CFMoto today, but after checking, was told no, linings not available.

Omission of any type of restraining straps inside the pannier is an oversight too especially factoring in my other pet peeve with this bike. No centre stand! And the too-short-a side stand.

Side stand. (my rating=poor)
    As the review (above) found, the side stand is way too short. Meaning that the bike when parked on the side stand leans far too much to the LHS. Consequently when one is using the LHS pannier, that have no restraints of any description to hold back any loaded items, it becomes a bit of battle to secure what's placed/loaded into the pannier, while trying to close the lid and secure it only further complicated by the finicky locking mechanism. Refer to the comments above about the locking mechanism. A touring bike, chain final drive and no centre stand... WTF!? Someone in CFMoto R&D needs a rocket. I don't give a rats-arse that the oversized muffler slash collector box and the lack of an under slung frame boss (being that the engine forms a stressed member of the frame) make it more difficult to allow for the inclusion of a centre stand. Should not be my problem, but thanks for making it mine CFMoto. It's a touring bike, and touring bikes have centre stands 'nuff said.

Front dash. (my rating=poor)
    The omission of a clock is an annoyance, and wouldn't have stretched the R&D yuan budget to have been included. What is a nasty surprise and oversight is the complete lack of any trip-odometer, and given how inaccurate the LCD fuel gauge bar display is, only makes the omission all that much more painful. One has to mentally take note of the odometer mileage in an effort to assess how much fuel remains onboard given how inaccurate the fuel gauge is. Alternatively one could stop, turn the bikes engine off, remove ignition key, use said key to open fuel cap and look inside the tank to guesstimate fuel volume remaining. Good one!

At night the neutral light and the high beam lights are far too intense/bright, so much so that they give off far too much glare and are distracting if not dangerous. Raising ones hand to obstruct the offending warning lights, only serves to reinforce this view. I found exactly the same complaint on the CFMoto Jetmax CF250t-6A maxi scoot. My easy remedy/fix/solution to this, is to apply a little window tint film (same as applied to inside of car windows) to those offending areas of the dash display. Works a treat.

It's worth noting that according to the CFMoto USA website, the 650TR (650TK) model being marketed there includes a trip-meter and a clock on the display, so I'll check my CFMoto factory sources in that regard about getting a new display etc. Mind you could be an oversight with a TIC moment, or as is the case with some manufacturers (Benelli/Qianjiang) and their BJ600 (marketed as a BN600 in global markets) with export models being retrofitted with higher level spec'd components e.g. Brembo brakes, suspension components etc. Replacing the lower spec domestic manufactured/sourced items. Supposedly so, as the domestic market is more price conscious. I've my misgivings over such claims given that the BJ600 is not a cheap proposition at some 元46000 MSRP. Similar pricing as being offered in most global markets. If I was a local, I'd be somewhat annoyed, no, offended. At least give me the option of having the choice at the spec level I might want.

Headlights & LEDs. (my rating=poor)
    The inclusion of LEDs up front just below the headlights is a nice thought, but again lacks in application as the LEDs are not bright enough, to be able to be used a substitute for 'headlights on' for daylight riding. Rather than the bright lumens as found on most LED driving lights e.g. AUDI, VW, BMW all of which tend to standout from the masses, making said vehicle conspicuous, the 650TR LEDs are awash in the background, and don't add much visibility until the bike is real close, maybe too close. Pity really.

The headlights themselves have adjustability compliments of knobs on the back of each headlight. The access to the adjustment though is a little tight either from up top reaching down between the steering head, fairing/dash display and fork downtubes or from up underneath the front fairing. The headlights throw a fairly good pattern, but really suffer for the lack of lumens (brightness) again just like the LEDs. A pair of H8 35w bulbs just don't provide enough throw, penetration or spread on a bike capable of 200km/h+. I'm looking for suitable replacements but will have to pull one bulb to determine exactly what type of fitting is used to find if a H11 55w is a plug and play option for the OEM H8's.

Speaking of headlights, here in PRC, the headlights are switch-able, meaning on, park (LEDs) or off, as opposed to always on - as they will likely be in some global markets due to regulations etc. With the headlights switched to on, both LEDs and the LHS headlight illuminate when low beam is selected. High-beam selection activates the RHS headlight, so that both LHS and RHS headlights are illuminated. The use of the passing switch illuminate both headlights if they are not already switched on (meaning off or park), if they are, then only the RHS headlight which is only for high-beam, illuminates. The LHS headlight only provides a low beam spread, across both sides and in front of the bike and it is fairly well defined. The addition of the high beam via the RHS headlight, provides a beam above that thrown by the LHS headlight. Works well if not for the low lumen and resulting poor penetration, well until cornering, where regardless of low or high beam use, the beam spread drops away far to quickly and abruptly when tucking into the corner. Consequently one is somewhat riding blind in this situation, and I have to say it's far more pronounced than any other bike I have in my fleet (XT1200Z, XVS1100, AN650K3, AN650k7, BMW-K1 and Jetmax). To some extent all motorcycles have light spread dropout while cornering, but the 650TR is way more pronounced. There's just no reflected light, so one rides into ones own dark spot. Scary!

Indicator LEDs
    The indicators are LEDs integrated into the mirror pods up front, and these LEDs are bright. No missing those when on. So why oh why not use the same spec LEDs in the parklight fabrication/design. Actually, why not add an additional row of white LEDs on the bottom of the indicator LEDs to add some presence of the bikes outline. Seems like with a little additional forethought, for little extra cost, little subtle changes could've been included for little extra cost/work.

Seat (my rating=average-poor)
    Cannot compare the suppleness or caress of the 650TR seat to that of my AN650's or Dragstar 1100 Classic (XVS1100). Okay the seat on the 650TR isn't that bad, it has some padding, so it's not like it feels like as though I'm sitting on a plank of wood, well not for the first several hours at least. There is some padding on the riders half of the seat, but most of it is towards the rear portion of the riders half of the seat - towards the hump that defines the riders half of the seat to that of the pillion. I've found that the riders half of the seat has a slope toward the tank/front and I've found myself, sliding further and further into the tank, despite my lifting posterior by standing on the pegs for a moment for re-adjustment and respite, then trying to take advantage of the aforementioned rearward cushioning, however it's not too long before I find myself once again sliding in-toward the tank. After several hours of this, it's often time to take a pit stop. I'll look to see what solutions there might be to remedy this. Perhaps adding taller rubber inserts/grommets under the seat might work? I'll report back.

Brakes (my rating=better than average)
    Responsive, assuring feel through the right lever and even the foot pedal. No ABS, which is a shame. Nothing beats ABS IMO and experience, except if one is a MotoGP or WSB rider perhaps.
    No brake fade on hot spirited mountain rides. Both front and rear brakes offer up plenty of feel, and seemingly provide plenty of stopping power. I'd have liked the inclusion of ABS, and understand that this is a possibility in the near future, so have to wait and see I guess. As the brakes are though, they work, scrubbing off speed with ease.

Horn (my rating=meh [poor])
    Sounds like a single tone, meh! Not much penetration and the decibels are likely around 80db give or take. Not exactly earth shattering, and won't win any look at me awards. Not confidence inspiring. Replacement and upgrade to undertaken soon.

Switchgear (my rating=average)
    Functional, but not confidence inspiring. Won't win any aesthetic or form/function awards any time soon. Find that there's too much of a reach for my right thumb to get to the horn button. Meaning that the button doesn't fall to my thumb or my thumb to the button as readily as doing the same on my Burgman 650. I use the horn a lot, it's China, where everyone has to fight for the claim to any slice of real estate. If you are a two wheeler, even more so!

OEM Parts!
    That brings me to the other point of contention, the 650TR parts list. Again it's an excel spreadsheet just like the one for the Jetmax. Where a diagram with numbered items appear on LHS page with a applicable parts list on the RHS page, it's cumbersome and disjointed to use, and fark me, can't anyone at CFMoto just produce a parts list in PDF format with searchable terms? Oh, wait they'd need to have English terms first. I dunno how distributors and dealers contend with this? Sucks, IMO! They've got the owners manual in PDF (clap clap), but here's the rub, where consumable items are referred to in the user manual, the inclusion of the relevant part number would've been really helpful - but they're not.
    Reading the manual for the Burgman, or Super Tenere or even the Dragstar, any serviceable or consumable item like spark plugs, filters etc., mentioned in the user manual, then the relevant part number appears too. Not hard.

Back to the parts list though. Few of the parts have English names and some that do, well Chinglish comes to mind. OK, they're a Ch!nese company - if you are going to offer something globally employ a good translator, or send out to a reputable company and get it done right, first time, every time.

When I asked for a parts list today, I was sent the same parts (in excel) list I already had dated March 2012. So what no updates? The problem is that there are some serious part omissions in the parts list, e.g. no part number or even a drawing specifically of the oil filter, or air filter. There is an oil filter, it's shown on the engine parts list page, but even that only lists superficial items, and the oil filter isn't one of them. When I asked for replacement air filters, the parts dept at CFMoto thought I meant oil filter. Eventually they understood, but ,no, no air filters available. I am guessing that it's just a foam filter element, same as the Jetmax. I will do some comparing this weekend.

more to come....

650TR CFMoto factory stuntman video
    Thanks for your thoughts B/Doc ,,,the lack of center stand is a deal breaker for me,,,I bought a Honda Nc700X instead,,but would have prefered the TR just because of the fairing and pans...but even Honda exclude the c/stand and I had to pay about £150 extra as an option...