Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Can you apply for license plate in SH if motorbike was bought without import tax? 
    Oy,

Everything is in the topic mates. There's some dealers (minghang district) who propose big bikes for an affordable price (ex: Z1000, 2013, new, 101k rmb) but can you really apply for a 100% legal license plate? As you may know, the import tax for big CCs is around 90% so it makes a huge difference financially speaking. I know u can't apply for a Hu A or Hu C plate (correct me if wrong) but it seems that it's feasible with a waidi plate (other province). So is it a fact or will u end with a clooned plate or other problems (law related)?
    Where's the catch?
    What's ur experience/opinion?

Cheers.

2. #2 Re: Can you apply for license plate in SH if motorbike was bought without import tax? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmanda View Post
    Oy,
    Everything is in the topic mates. There's some dealers (minghang district) who propose big bikes for an affordable price (ex: Z1000, 2013, new, 101k rmb) but can you really apply for a 100% legal license plate?
    Yes, if the bikes are 100% legally imported, which based on price alone, these examples are not.

As you may know, the import tax for big CCs is around 90% so it makes a huge difference financially speaking. I know u can't apply for a Hu A or Hu C plate (correct me if wrong)
    If the bikes were truly legally imported and not smuggled then you could indeed obtain legal 沪A or 沪C plates. They are suggesting to you that the bikes cannot get 沪A or 沪C plates because, why... purely based on the fact that the are big capacity bikes which cannot be plated, or?

but it seems that it's feasible with a waidi plate (other province). So is it a fact or will u end with a clooned plate or other problems (law related)?
    Sure, you will get Waidi plates, but they aint going to be yours... they will be cloned! And the unsuspecting buyer in turn will be clowned.

Where's the catch?
    What's ur experience/opinion?
    Cheers.
    You're the catch... they throw out the line with hook and bait, and you is what they catch. Haven't you been down in the water before? I seem to recall similar posts from you in the past concerning related topics..? Perhaps not... but it's been talked about plenty on MCM.

The bikes are almost 100% not likely legal I can guarantee it (especially based on being new), so no matter what the seller tells you any plates provided will not be legal either... if the bikes were 100% bonafide imported with all taxes and duties paid, using the calculation method I've written about elsewhere more than once... then you can also get a legal 沪A or 沪C plate... just that both plates will cost $. Obviously the 沪A will cost substantially more... but it will be in your name. The 沪C while costing substantially less apparently from what I've read, has to be in a Chinese name...

The fact that the sellers are telling you that you/they cannot get 沪A or 沪C plates (which is BS!) should be warning enough, that you are being scammed...

You cannot legally licence an imported motorcycle or car if the import duties, taxes and other applicable costs have not been paid! In which case then the vehicle is smuggled. Unless you have some serious Guanxi, and realistically you have to be a Chinese high up the totem pole for that to apply in most cases. So the Waidi plates will be sharing its heritage with some other bike some place else.

3. #3 Re: Can you apply for license plate in SH if motorbike was bought without import tax? 
    Hey Bikerdoc,

thank for your prompt reply, I love it!

Actually I got a 650NK with 护 A plates so I might be a fish in the water but ain't interesting by baits...anymore ;)

But you ain't wrong, you got the eye. I've been there, I've done that: got a Honda CB400 VTEC1with jiangsu plates few years back, enjoyed every km of it for almost 2 years: but I knew I was illegal, it's a choice I made: 19K was good bait and I bit it willingly. Things changed, had a good job, could not put myself at risk anymore, decided to go legal and I enjoy every bite of it now :)

The one who bought the bike is a french guy who posted his new bike on a french forum, telling that he just bought his Z1000, brand new, 101K cny: http://www.bonjourchine.com/f1/f17/1...11-2012-a.html,, so it smelled awfully fishy as I've been in several shop in the past and I saw those lovely bikes: Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, big CCs, you name it: brand new, so affordable, but... tax unpaid: tempting, but too risky.

Here are pictures of the bike:
    http://www.bonjourchine.com/f1/f17/1...-2012-a-3.html

Anyway, I just go his reply:
    he's saying that he got the license plate from another province, all the good/right papers, right pictures, engine number is the same than the one his papers, name on the papers is somebody he knows (gf), he's the only one using this license plate (not a clooned one), but the catch is... brand of the bike and cylinder are register as a 250cc.

here u go.