Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Help me find a good bike! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi,

I'm from Miami FL, USA, am pretty tall (6'3"), and am looking to expand my motorcycle fleet.
    I currently have a 127cc motorcycle, and a 750cc motorcycle, but the 750 honda isn't good on gas (50MPG).
    So I was looking for a cheap bike, that's good on fuel, preferably in the 250cc region. One with a chain so I can do a sprocket change for better MPG, I'm aiming between 80 and 110MPG going 45MPH.
    I mainly will use it to cruise on the highways, and suburb roads of 40MPH+.

I wanted a sports bike, but due to riding ergonomics probably prefer a naked bike (I don't like to sit tucked forward).

I went to the dealer and was disappointed in the high price for a 250cc Jap bike.

So I wanted to go Chinese.
    I looked and liked the Roketa MC_D250RTC_B very much, riding ergonomics are excellent, digital speedo, and analog tach (see here: http://www.scooterdepot.us/250cc-str...p-744-286.html )
    However what held me back is the low performance. Those bikes usually top out at ~80MPH, and my 125cc does 60MPH, so I'm not willing to pay $2k just to go 20MPH faster.

I read up on Yingang, and found 3 bikes that draw my attention:
    the GT250: http://www.motobuys.com/yinyang-yg250nf-mass.html
    the YG250-NF: http://www.mxmotorsports.us/ProductD...50-NF&CartID=1
    and the YG3R 250 being the only sports bike of the three: http://www.mxmotorsports.us/YINGANG-...p/yg3r-250.htm

I read up on a lot of good on the Yingang engines, but saw that most of their motorcycles are for tiny people.
    The three yingang bikes are about the same size, (height excluding, due to the higher mirrors on the naked bikes).

Undoubtably the Yingang motors are the better motors, however it makes no difference to me being tall, if I'd ride uncomfortably on them.

I'm not into cross motorcycles or dirt bikes (like enduro style).
    I like naked or if it's a good bike, a sports bike.

Any suggestions?

2. #2 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    All of these bikes are in the same boat-80 mph give or take.

It's too bad you don't like enduros because TMEC offers a 200cc thumper offered with motard tires. I have one and commute 15 miles each way to work and back, putting approx.600 miles/month. I have changed the front sprocket and had a custom 40 t rear made. I get a little over 50 mpg, but I am riding at 60 to 65 mph for over half my commute.

This makes me think that your choices won't necessarily offer much more mpg than your bigger bike, although my bike would probably do better if I was able to commute at the speeds you plan on. However, many enduros are tall, including mine.

The big difference is the height.

3. #3 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    C-Moto Regular
    This youtube vid shows a Yingang motorcycle reaching 160kmh on the speedo in no time! I read up on the speedo errors, and you're probably right, it'll be closer to 80MPH than 100MPH.

Still, Yingang engines are rated 26HP, compared to the sub 18HP for most other chinese engines.
    I've read some ridiculous claims of a guy saying he got near to 40HP out of his engine,
    I think it's to be taken with a grain of salt, but removing the rev limiter from 8,5k RPM to 11.5k rpm should theoretically raise HP from 26 to 31+ HP.
    And improving airflow, by putting a larger air filter, could raise it by another 2HP, increasing a total of 7HP at full throttle. Combined with the higher RPM, I believe they could surpass the 95MPH barrier, perhaps even go 100MPH.

I'm just writing from what I read up on online; but the results are much better than the Roketa or other chinese bike, that already has an unrestricted air intake.

4. #4 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    That engine is only in their top line sportsbike, so keep that in mind. There was a whole thread on the naked Yingang here on the street section...however, it was from the perspective of an ex-pat living in China.

5. #5 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    C-Moto Regular
    From the specs the naked orange bike has the same engine.

But I've cancelled my Yingang order and went for a DongFang (not the best brand out there), because of lack of support both online and dealerwise.
    The local dealer/warehouse carries dongfang and can get parts easily.
    That, and the fact that the Yangang is made for small people, and the DongFang for big ones.

So I ended up going for the MC-D250 RTC-B naked bike instead.
    More plastic, but riding comfort is better for me!

6. #6 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Hi,

I'm from Miami FL, USA, am pretty tall (6'3"), and am looking to expand my motorcycle fleet.
    I currently have a 127cc motorcycle, and a 750cc motorcycle, but the 750 honda isn't good on gas (50MPG).
    Not good?? 50MPG is about 4.65L/100km and that seems pretty good. sure you could get some Honda Airblade or Yamaha nouvo and drop that down to 3L maybe on 100km,

Main problem with small engine bikes is that you will have to rev them higher that big bore engines.
    there just is not enough torque in small engines especially if your heavy as i am

7. #7 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wald0 View Post
    Not good?? 50MPG is about 4.65L/100km and that seems pretty good. sure you could get some Honda Airblade or Yamaha nouvo and drop that down to 3L maybe on 100km,

Main problem with small engine bikes is that you will have to rev them higher that big bore engines.
    there just is not enough torque in small engines especially if your heavy as i am
    My chevrolet Cruze gets an average of 34,7MPG, and does ~48MPG going 50MPH on the highway, so yes, 50MPG for a motorcycle is very lousy!

My modified MC-05-127 does about 105MPG, and about 95MPG when going 60MPH on the highway.

250cc is NOT a small bore! 50cc is a small bore.
    For city riding, a 50cc needs to rev in the high revs to keep up.
    You're right that you need to find a motorcycle that revs low in the environment you use it in.
    For city and suburb riding, meaning 35-45MPH, and a level ground (no hills), a 110cc engine is just about perfect, and with the right sprocket change, you could get upto 120MPG.
    If you're a bit heavier then me (I'm 160LBS), a 125cc might be more suited.

If you're going on the highway, doing 60MPH, a 125cc is revving to he top revs, and that's not good.
    A 250cc has double the displacement, so theoretically can rev to half the revs, if you provide it with the right gear (sprocket) change.

Most 250cc bikes are geared to do 8k RPM @80MPH tops; or 6k RPM @ 60MPH.
    If you don't need to go 80, but are satisfied with 60MPH, doing a sprocket change of ~25% lower teeth count, could get your RPMs down by 25%, or you'll be doing ~4500RPM @60MPH.
    You can always downshift 1 gear to go to the top speed.

If you're a bit heavier then me, probably modifying a 300cc instead of a 250cc might be the better option for you.
    A 300cc you might get lucky and get a good 85MPG out of. I'm aiming for 100MPG on a 250cc, but know that realistically I'll be more between 85 and 95MPG, with the right sprocket.

8. #8 Re: Help me find a good bike! 
    C-Moto Regular
    BTW, are there any better chinese 250cc bikes out there? (like more for the money)?