Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    650TR-red.JPG

Specifications
    Twin Halogen headlights, LED park/day riding lights, LED indicators & tail/brake light, CDI, electric start.
    Front wheel:
    3.50×17 MT 120x70R17
    Rear wheel: 4.50x17 MT 160x60R17
    Front Hydraulic Double Disc Brake: 300mm
    Rear
    Hydraulic Single Disc Brake: 220mm
    Engine: 649.3cc liquid-cooled DOHC 8-valve fuel-injected parallel twin; 54kW (72bhp) at 8500rpm; 62Nm at 7000rpm.
    Transmission: 6-speed sequential gearbox (1-down, 5-up), chain final drive.
    Frame: Steel-tube trellis frame with triangular steel swingarm; 41mm non-adjustable Kayaba telescopic front forks; Kayaba rear monoshock adjustable for spring preload.
    MSRP: 元46800.
    Hot: Looks like it is worth more than the MSRP; has most of the basics sorted; comes complete with integrated lockable but non-removeable panniers, luggage rack with secret compartment & ability to mount a top box, has fully enclosed fairing, with a couple of cubby's one of which is lockable.
    Not: Side stand is far too short, no centre stand, pannier locks are partially obstructed by pillion grab rails & locks feel flimsy, zero brand recognition, no ABS brakes.

650TR online parts microfiche
    Paul Owens' motorcycle review in NZ
    (MCM linky).
    Overland Mag WK650TR (CF650TR) review
    Rupert & Fanny's adventurebikerider CF650TR blog
    Rupert & Fanny's Africa thru China bigbiketrip blog
    Shanghaifingers (MCM) 650TR review & upgrades
    The Motorcycle Obsession blog UK
    The Great Ride of China (export model 650TR)

I'm being critical in this review of the 650TR, perhaps overly so, but I feel it's justified given the cost of the 650TR in PRC. Actually the pricing in PRC is almost equivalent to the 650TR offered in many global markets. I've got high expectations, & if CFMoto & other PRC manufacturers want to compete, then they need a good dose of reality about what discerning consumers want & expect. So here's my thoughts.

Firstly any manufacturer who offers a product in PRC alongside the same (looking) product as offered various global markets, & where the two products differ in some way (usually by substituting standard components for those of better specs and quality), then at least have the honesty & courtesy of offering the local domestic buyer/consumer the option of buying either spec'd product. This view is alluded to below in several relevant sections. Secondly, CFMoto, a complete 650TR parts list is needed, the current one dated March 2012 is incomplete. Parts such as headlight bulbs, oil & air filters (consumables) are not listed. More on this below.

OK with that tirade out of the way, on with my review of CFMoto's 650TR, aka, 650TK, CF650-2. Interesting resemblance between 650TR & Honda's ST1300. From the fairing cubby glove boxes, to the fairing styling queues, fall over fin sliders & integrated mirror pods/indicators.

Fit and Finish (my rating = good)
    Good depth to the paint, but then if I had the right tool to measure to the micron I might have a different opinion, but I don't, so good it is. Seems like there is use of at least one coat of a clear gloss lacquer. However I can't be 100% certain of that. The stickers/adhesive labels (denoting model, safety warning and EU compliance etc) are applied on top of the paint finish & are easily removed, therefore if a clear lacquer has been applied, it has before the stickers/labels are applied. This method differs from what some other motorcycle manufacturers do. Not had any bolts or securing devices work loose, yet. All panels fit together quite well, though the pannier lids have some varying tolerances. Thus far nothing has rattled free or fallen off. The ignition is traditional located near the steering head. The bars which are of a clip on alloy design & not a one piece unit, are turned to the left, to allow the ignition key to turn anti-clockwise to engage the steering lock.

Ignition key also unlocks the petrol tank lid, LHS front cubby, & the pair of panniers.

Fairing (my rating = good-average)
    The full fairing offers a respectable amount of protection from the elements. There are two hollow tip over 'fin' shaped protectors that stick out from the mid section of both LHS & RHS fairings (ST1300!). Above the panel protectors are two air vents that assist with heat distribution which would be effective in winter but can be a little uncomfortable in 40'C temps. Amber reflectors are integrated into the panels of the fairing up front. There are two compartments on the top side of the fairing, both with lids. The LHS compartment is lockable using the ignition key while the RHS is not, also the clip-to-close mechanism & hinges have a flimsy feel to them, but work well enough, though the engagement of the RHS cubby lid is not as aligned & takes a little more finese to close/engage. Both cubbys are water proof. The RHS compartment also contains the liquid coolant-radiator (top-up/overflow) container. The upper sections of the fairing above the two cubby's/glove boxes give the impression that they house audio speakers, though these are empty. There is no stereo fitted, though this is said to be an optional item at some point in time.

Further down the radiator sits in front of the engine & above the lower fairing cowling. There is no screen mesh protector or radiator guard, consequently the radiator is exposed to anything that the front wheel might throw the radiators way. A simple mesh screen would have been an easy solution to avoid such catastrophic occurrences. The Kwaka ER-6RF radiator protector is not a match.

Screen
    (my rating = average)
    Glad that a screen was included, since it is one of the reasons I didn't buy the 650NK (naked version) of the same bike. In PRC, the air quality leaves a lot to be desired. Most of my riding tends to be 150-300km at a stretch, since even when I'm off to my preferred supermarket which is 30km away in one direction (that's in a straight line), I often deviate from that by including as many mountain routes as possible, & here in this slice of Zhejiang province, spoilt for riding choices. Multiple mountain ranges & coastal routes to select from. OK, so I do have the small 3km commute to my place of employment too. Regardless a screen & some form of protection from the elements both natural & man made (pollution) is essential in PRC in my humble opinion (IMHO).

The standard screen fitted to the 650TR directs the wind blast toward the upper chest, depending on ones height (I'm 183cm with an average upper to lower torso length). The screen offers no adjustment, & the inclusion of some adjustment provision, with either a taller screen, or ability to move/relocate the screen with quick release bolts, or even something similar to a MADSTAD bracket would have been such a simple bit of R&D. In other markets where air is clearer & reasonably cleaner, a wind blast to the face - not a significant problem. In PRC not so much. Dirty air, full of all kinds of debris meh - no thanks, having a higher screen or adjustment would've been an added bonus.

CFMoto apparently have a higher/taller screen, so essentially a shorty for summer & one slightly (3-4cm) taller for all other times, which IMO inside PRC is year-round. I attempted to get one of the taller screens from CFMoto, but was told none are/were available, maybe some other day, but the female at the CFMoto factory domestic parts dept., had no idea when that might be. Asked her to contact me when they get that notification. We'll see.

As it is, I've adapted how the screen is fitted so that the higher mounting points are raised away (sit a little more vertical). Had to mill/ream out the mounting holes in the screen to allow for angle changes for the bolts. Installed longer bolts of the same design, & inserted some rubber sleeves that the bolts fit through between the underside of screen & topside of the tupperware. Works okay, but a taller screen with the same set-up would work better. The screen needs a more pronounced upward curve near the lip of the screen - which would better help, deflect wind blast. Work in motion.

Front dash (my rating = poor)
    Combined unit integrating tachometer & speedometer dials surrounded to the sides by the various idiot lights (indicators, neutral, high beam etc.) In the lower right corner of the unit is a LCD display with mileage, engine temp, fuel level indicator - the latter of which is fairly inaccurate. No gear indicator, no clock, no trip-meter, & no way to interact with the info/dash.

The omission of a clock is an annoyance, & wouldn't have stretched the R&D budget to have been included. What is a nasty surprise & oversight is the complete lack of any trip-odometer, & given how inaccurate the LCD fuel gauge bar display is, only makes the omission all that much more painful. One has to mentally take note of the odometer mileage in an effort to assess how much fuel remains onboard given how inaccurate the fuel gauge is. Alternatively one could stop, turn the bikes engine off, remove ignition key, use said key to open fuel cap & look inside the tank to guesstimate fuel volume remaining. Good one!

At night the neutral light & the high beam light are far too bright, so much so that they give off too much glare & are distracting if not dangerous. I found exactly the same complaint on the CFMoto Jetmax CF250t-6A maxi scoot. My easy remedy/fix/solution to this, is to apply a little window tint film (same as applied to inside of car windows) to those offending areas of the dash display. Works a treat.

It's worth noting that according to the CFMoto USA website, the 650TR (650TK) model being marketed there includes a trip-meter a clock & fuel-low warning on the display, so I'll check my CFMoto factory sources in that regard about getting a new display etc. Mind you could be an oversight with a TIC moment, or as is the case with some manufacturers (Benelli/Qianjiang) and their BJ600 (marketed as a BN600 in global markets) with export models being retrofitted with higher level spec'd components e.g. Brembo brakes, suspension components etc. Replacing the lower spec domestic manufactured/sourced items. Supposedly so, as the domestic market is more price conscious. I've my misgivings over such claims given that the BJ600 is not a cheap proposition at some 元46000 MSRP. Similar pricing as being offered in most global markets. If I was a local, I'd be somewhat annoyed, no, offended. At least give me the option of having the choice at the spec level I might want.

Headlights & LEDs (my rating = poor)
    The inclusion of LEDs up front just below the headlights is a nice thought, but again lacks in application as the LEDs are not bright enough, to be able to be used a substitute for 'headlights on' for daylight riding. Rather than the bright lumens as found on most LED driving lights e.g. AUDI, VW, BMW all of which tend to standout from the masses, making said vehicle conspicuous, the 650TR LEDs are awash in the background, & don't add much visibility until the bike is real close, maybe too close. Pity really.

The headlights themselves have adjustability compliments of knobs on the back of each headlight. The access to the adjustment though is a little tight either from up top reaching down between the steering head, fairing/dash display & fork downtubes or from up underneath the front fairing. The headlights throw a fairly good pattern, but really suffer for the lack of lumens (brightness) again just like the LEDs. A pair of H8 35w bulbs just don't provide enough throw, penetration or spread on a bike capable of 200km/h+. I'm looking for suitable replacements but will have to pull one bulb to determine exactly what type of fitting is used to find if a H11 55w is a plug and play option for the OEM H8's or aftermarket HID kit.

Speaking of headlights, here in PRC, the headlights are switch-able, meaning on, park (LEDs) or off, as opposed to always on - as they will likely be in some global markets due to regulations etc. With the headlights switched to on, both LEDs & the LHS headlight illuminate when low beam is selected. High-beam selection activates the RHS headlight, so that both LHS and RHS headlights are illuminated. The use of the passing switch illuminate both headlights if they are not already switched on (meaning off or park), if they are, then only the RHS headlight which is only for high-beam, illuminates. The LHS headlight only provides a low beam spread, across both sides & in front of the bike & it is fairly well defined. The addition of the high beam via the RHS headlight, provides a beam above that thrown by the LHS headlight. Works well if not for the low lumen & resulting poor penetration, well until cornering, where regardless of low or high beam use, the beam spread drops away far to quickly & abruptly when tucking into the corner. Consequently one is somewhat riding blind in this situation, & I have to say it's far more pronounced than any other bike I have in my fleet (XT1200Z, XVS1100, AN650K3, AN650k7, BMW-K1 and Jetmax). To some extent all motorcycles have light spread dropout while cornering, but the 650TR is way more pronounced. There's just no reflected light, so one rides into ones own dark spot. Scary!

Indicator LEDs (my rating = good)
    The indicators are LEDs integrated into the mirror pods up front, & these LEDs are bright. No missing those when on. So why oh why not use the same spec LEDs in the parklight fabrication/design. Actually, why not add an additional row of white LEDs on the bottom of the indicator LEDs to add some presence of the bikes outline. Seems like with a little additional forethought, for little extra cost, little subtle changes could've been included for little extra cost/work.

Mirrors (my rating = good-average)
    Mirrors are housed in pods which attach to the LHS & RHS fairing. The pods positioning on the 650TR is around the same height as many car mirrors. The mirror pods, are a combined indicator and mirror housing, and comprise a pop out design. There is no method to fold the mirror pods in, unlike a similar form/function concept found on the Suzuki Burgman 650 maxi scooter (I own two). The 650TR pods are secured using a spring clip mechanism & pop out with impact force, leaving the mirror/indicator pod attached/dangling from the indicator wiring. Being that the pods are non-adjustable & are approximately the same height as mirrors on many cars, lane splitting is likely to be a somewhat more complicated proposition. The mirrors themselves provide adjustment, & offer a pretty good visibility riding solo. Not the same when carrying a pillion, you'll be provided a good view of their knees. Thus far there's no loss of the vision to the rear through distortion such as the case with minute vibrations.

Brakes (my rating = better than average)
    Responsive, assuring feel through the right lever and even the foot pedal. No ABS, which is a shame. Nothing beats ABS IMO and experience, except if one is a MotoGP or WSB rider perhaps.

No brake fade on hot spirited mountain rides. Both front & rear brakes offer up plenty of feel, & seemingly provide plenty of stopping power. I'd have liked the inclusion of ABS, & understand that this is a possibility in the near future, so have to wait & see I guess. As the brakes are though, they work, scrubbing off speed with ease. The front RHS brake lever is adjustable & has a solid feel when used in application. The RHS brake pedal also provides a reasonable amount of feel, & like most, has adjustment.

Horn (my rating = meh [poor])
    Sounds like a single tone, meh! Not much penetration & the decibels are likely around 80-85dB give or take. Not exactly earth shattering, & won't win any attention seeking awards. Not particularly confidence inspiring. Replacement & upgrade to be undertaken soon. Seger Horn install link

Switchgear (my rating = average)
    Functional, but not confidence inspiring. Won't win any aesthetic or form/function awards any time soon. Find that there's too much of a reach for my right thumb to get to the horn button. Meaning that the button doesn't fall to my thumb or my thumb to the button as readily as doing the same on my Burgman 650. I use the horn a lot, it's China, where everyone has to fight for the claim to any slice of real estate. If you are a two wheeler, even more so!

As mentioned RHS brake lever is adjustable & has a fairly solid feel, while the LHS clutch lever has an adjustment knob, but it's non-adjustable, & the whole assembly feels poorly put together, almost as though the lever is about to come away from it's mounting platform, though it's bolted up tight, in operation as a clutch it works ok.

Seat (my rating = average-poor)
    Cannot compare the suppleness or caress of the 650TR seat to that of my AN650's or Dragstar 1100 Classic (XVS1100). Okay the seat on the 650TR isn't that bad, it has some padding, so it's not like it feels like as though I'm sitting on a plank of wood, well not for the first several hours at least. There is some padding on the riders half of the seat, but most of it is towards the rear portion of the riders seat - towards the hump that defines the riders half of the seat to that of the pillion. I've found that the riders seat has a slope toward the tank/front & I've found myself, sliding further & further forward into the tank, despite my lifting posterior by standing on the pegs for a moment for re-adjustment & respite, then trying to take advantage of the aforementioned rearward cushioning, however it's not too long before I find myself once again sliding forward.

The seat is removed by using a pull cable handle located within the LHS pannier. This releases the seat from the aft located locking mechanism. To lift the seat, slide back slightly & seat lifts off , under which one can find the tool kit, battery, rear brake fluid reservoir, fuses, & main wiring loom terminal.

Foot-pegs (my rating = good)
    For me & my stature, the pegs do require a slight tuck in of the legs but to be honest I'm used to a more foot forward position in part because of my other rides. The pegs themselves are solid with rubber inserts & feel vibration free. The pegs for both rider & pillion appear non-adjustable, aside from the vertical to horizontal position on the pillions pegs. This means the rider gets a great view of any pillions knees in the mirrors!

Side stand (my rating = poor)
    As the review (above) found, the side stand is way too short. Meaning that the bike when parked on the side stand leans far too much to the LHS. Consequently when one is using the LHS pannier, that have no restraints of any description to hold back any loaded items, it becomes a bit of battle to secure what's placed/loaded into the pannier, while trying to close the lid & secure it only further complicated by the finicky locking mechanism. Refer to the comments above about the locking mechanism. A touring bike, chain final drive & no centre stand... WTF!? Someone in CFMoto R&D needs a re-education. I don't give a rats-arse that the oversized muffler slash collector box & the lack of an under slung frame boss (being that the engine forms a stressed member of the frame) make it more difficult to allow for the inclusion of a centre stand. Should not be my problem, but thanks for making it mine CFMoto. It's a touring bike, & touring bikes have centre stands 'nuff said. Adjusting the chain, working on the rear wheel, or loading LHS pannier really could do with assistance of a centre stand.

Suspension (my rating = average)
    Kayaba telescopic non-adjustable front forks.
    Kayaba rear monoshock adjustable for pre-load, accessed via RHS side covers (tools needed).

Side panniers (my rating = average-poor)
    The panniers positives are that they hold a full face helmet each, so plenty of room for touring luggage or shopping (~60L combined). The bags have a solid feel as they are bolted/fixed to the sides of the bike (non-removable). So far seems as though the panniers are water resistant, despite there being a 2-3mm gap (tolerances) in places between the pannier body & lid, while the remainder tolerances are less.

The side pannier locks have a somewhat lack lustre & non-reassuring feel to them, especially enhanced as the long ignition key, which is used on the pannier locks too, have a somewhat restrictive tight fit to get into the lock key-way, since the locks are partially obstructed by the pillion grab rails/luggage rack.

Inside the panniers, there's no fun fair. No felt lining or any lining at all, just the bare ABS plastic. This is in contrast to what Shanghaifingers reports (in his 650TR thread) since his panniers had a felt lining. So where's mine? Perhaps linings were only provided on those who bought the first production run of the model, &/or for export sales only. If not then this omission might point to poor QC/QA control systems. Called CFMoto today, but after checking, was told no, no linings not available.

Omission of any type of restraining straps inside the pannier is an oversight too especially factoring in my other pet peeve with this bike. No centre stand! And the too-short-a side stand.

Luggage Rack (my rating = good)
    The luggage rack is manufactured from a plastic composite type material. The luggage rack also forms the mounting platform for the rear indicators. The top part of the rack can be removed to expose a hidden compartment, where one accesses the indicator securing nuts & associated wiring. The compartment itself makes for an ideal place for secreting away small items (i.e. alarm module etc.). The luggage rack itself, is rated to hold 5kg. I've fitted an Adlo 2012 top box (has LED lid integrated brake light), which only required a little modifying to the Adlo base mount to align with the holes of the luggage platform.. Adlo are rebadged as Bestem in the USA.

OEM Parts! (my rating = poor-average)
    That brings me to the other point of contention, the 650TR parts list. It's an excel spreadsheet just like the one for the Jetmax CFMoto's maxi scooter which I've owned since production started in 2010. The parts list comprises multiple pages containing a diagram with numbered items which appear on LHS page with a applicable parts list on the RHS page, it's cumbersome and disjointed to use, and fark me, can't anyone at CFMoto just produce a parts list in PDF format with searchable terms? Oh, wait they'd need to have English terms first. I dunno how distributors & dealers contend with this? Sucks, IMO! They've got the owners manual for both the Jetmax & 650TR available in PDF format (clap clap), but here's the rub, where consumable items are referred to in the user manual, the inclusion of the relevant part number is excluded but would've been really helpful if they'd been included - at least to CFMoto's credit some torque values are included in the manual (thumbs up!).

Reading the manual for the Burgman, or Super Tenere or even the Dragstar, any serviceable or consumable item like spark plugs, filters etc., mentioned in the user manual, has the relevant part number too. Not hard to organise a little cross referencing.

Back to the parts list. Few of the parts have English names & some that do, well Chinglish comes to mind, or the incorrect terminology has been selected. OK, they're a Ch!nese company - if you are going to offer a product globally employ a good translator with industry knowledge, or send out to a reputable company & get it done right, first time round.

When I asked for a parts list today, I was sent the same parts list I already had dated March 2012 in excel format. So what no updates? The problem is that there are some serious part omissions in the parts list, e.g. no part number or even a drawing specifically of the oil filter, or air filter, headlight bulbs, or dashboard etc. There is an oil filter, it's illustrated on the engine parts list page, but even that only lists superficial items, and the oil filter isn't one of them. When I asked for replacement air filters, the parts dept. person at CFMoto thought I meant oil filter, that took many go-arounds. Eventually they understood, but ,no, no air filters available. I am guessing that it's just a foam filter element, same as the Jetmax. I will do some comparing soon. Air filter is under the tank which has four Allen headed bolts two each fore & aft.

Fuel consumption (my rating = average)
    Without a trip-odometer haven't worked fuel consumption out yet. Too lazy to note down the mileage each fill up. What I have found though is that anecdotally the 650TR sucks gas more than my AN650K7 Executive, over the same distances (same mountain routes, back to back) & that is a surprise. I can't blame WOT for the difference either, if anything I ride faster & far more comfortably on my AN650K7 than the 'TR'. At 100km/h the AN650K7 is doing approx. 3500-RPM while the TR is just over 4000-RPM. The TR is simply not as economical as the Burgman 650. Will compare this data with my Dragstar 1100 next.

Summary (my rating = average)
    In summary the 650TR is a noteworthy addition to the CFMoto product line which is increasing with the ATV, UTV lineup now being joined by personal watercraft. The secretive adventure - dual purpose style 650 (using the same engine as the 650NK/650TR) in conjunction with KTM, should be appearing soon adding to the expanded product line. CFMoto need to be quick to market as Benelli is not far off launching an adventure - dual purpose style bike based on the in-line four 600cc found in the BJ600/QJ600/BN600 (link)

Back to CFMoto & the 650TR, unfortunately, IMO it's the details & finer points that need a little finesse in order to lift CFMoto up to somewhere near other offerings such as found from the Japanese main four motorcycle manufacturers. Complete user manual, with some cross referencing of consumable items with the parts list. A more complete/comprehensive parts list in a more user friendly format. Better part availability and a method by which factory parts dept. staff can locate parts. Ordering parts is real hit & miss experience. While the 650TR does well, it could tick several or more boxes if only a little more forethought had been invested in real world use. It's a worthy consideration for anyone on a tight budget as a mid-displacement tourer, but the cost savings come with some sacrifices. These IMO only reinforce that age old adage that "one only gets what one pays for!"

The 650TR & NK models sold in PRC differ from the export models. The domestic models have lesser quality components. Nice one! Is it any wonder why local Chinese prefer buying imported products?

Seger Horn install link
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-30-2015 at 10:08 AM.

2. #2 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Great and detailed review as allways from you bikerdoc and it is time for me to move up from my 250cc Jexlux so would you say YES or NO to the 650TR or do you still need more time on yours !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Great and detailed review as allways from you bikerdoc and it is time for me to move up from my 250cc Jexlux so would you say YES or NO to the 650TR or do you still need more time on yours !
    ^I'd say yes, but, consider for a moment that both Benelli/Qianjiang (QJ) and CFMoto are soon to release adventure / dual purpose bikes each powered by the same engines found in the respective company's top models e.g. 600cc four cylinder for the Benelli/QJ, and the 650cc twin cylinder of CFMoto, perhaps with slightly altered ECM/ECU. These bikes IMO are likely better suited to a majority of the road/trail surfaces in PRC. With that said, the 650TR does have all the touring capabilities with the fairing, screen and in-built panniers and for that there's no competition.

Consider though for a little extra money (OK, 30% extra) one can buy a legal Kawasaki E6-RN and ER-6F though neither of these models have the touring setup of the 650TR. So depends on what you want, what suits you, and what you are able to afford.

4. #4 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Thanks for the detailed review. I found it very helpful, especially since I had been planning on picking one of these up. For now, I think I will pass. I will let the bugs get worked out, and wait for the next generation.

As for new adv/dp bikes coming up, I feel the same way - let the bugs get worked out, first. There seems to be a culture of Chinese manufacturers throwing their "new" bikes out too soon, in the domestic market, and having Chinese customers serve as beta testers.

IMHO, the best mid-range adv/dp bike in the domestic Chinese market is the Jialing JH600. It has been on the market for five years, and most of the quirks (e.g., the ECU) have been worked out and are now history. I gotta say that having been a beta tester for Jialing really pissed me off, and I won't risk that one again by buying another just-out-the-door Chinese release. But for just a little North of 30K for a brand new JH600, it seems to be relatively good value.

This is probably why I am shy about getting a 650TR. Interestingly, a large Beijing dealer cautioned me away from the Shineray 400cc for this very reason - he said they are not quite ready for market, and to wait at least a year. That dealer has been selling them for a while, but has now tucked them into the back of the showroom.

Your observations about the inferior components on China-market bikes (versus the export bikes) is very interesting. One barometer I use in assessing new models is how many low-mileage used ones are available. I don't know how many new Benelli 600s were sold, but there is a very large number of them in Beijing's used bike market. I realize that my "barometer" is completely unscientific, but I can't help wondering why so many people are selling them. Perhaps those lower quality components really do make a difference, from what we read/see of the bike's overseas reviews.

Definitely appreciate you taking the time & making the effort to give us this review. You saved me some coin, and probably a few headaches.

5. #5 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Hi Bikerdoc

If i may can i just add the latest review i can find on the web to add to your great review from a guy called "Paddy Tyson" from overland magazine UK. dated 16th Aug 2013

link:http://overlandmag.com/features/cf-moto-wk650tr-review/

price in the UK on the road is just over £5k with 20% VAT and import dutys which must be at least 10% inc and the cost of shipping all the way to the UK that make me think we are paying to much money for these bikes in China at 50k RMB on the road one good point is the parts are cheap here in China when needed!
    Last edited by prince666; 08-30-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 

7. #7 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 

8. #8 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Review updated and revised.

More photos to be posted.

9. #9 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi bikerdoc... Is the top box held on by the elastic tend straps, or are they for additional security?

10. #10 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    I have bungy's attached to all the top boxes just for added security (just in case), as the bungy being elastic is able to better absorb some of the rough riding conditions (crap roads/tank tracks) all too common here in PRC. The top box itself locks onto a base plate, and is quick release (key and press release button) to remove the top box from that plate. ADLO 2012. ADLO cases are available outside PRC, and often are rebadged as BESTEM in the USA where no mention of ADLO is found on the ADLO boxes.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-04-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast