Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I have bungy's attached to all the top boxes just for added security (just in case), as the bungy being elastic is able to absorb so of the rough ride handling all too common here in PRC. The top box itself locks onto a base plate, and is quick release to remove the top box from that plate. ADLO 2012. ADLO cases are available outside PRC, and often are rebadged as BESTEM.
    have you used the existing CF Moto plate or did you buy a base plate with the top box?

If so which make of bike did you specify for when you bought the top box and base plate?

Found a few places selling the BESTEM version top box, but nothing in the UK yet, so far all seem to be in USA.

If possible would be great to see some pics of the base plate and how you have attached to the bike - thanks

2. #12 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 650TR Rider View Post
    have you used the existing CF Moto plate or did you buy a base plate with the top box?
    There are two elements, so without confusing the situation. The 650TR has a luggage rack, which is the plastic housing on the rear end. Actually that luggage rack houses/contains the wiring for the indicators, and forms the mounting base for the indicator "stalks". The base plate I refer is what one has to mount/affix to the luggage rack.

If so which make of bike did you specify for when you bought the top box and base plate?
    When one orders topboxes, especially those with a quick release mount/dismount function, then the base plate is usually included, along with the hex bolts, washers, nuts and a pair of flat rectangular metal brackets. The topboxes that don't have a quick release function/option usually don't come provided with said base plate.

Found a few places selling the BESTEM version top box, but nothing in the UK yet, so far all seem to be in USA.
    A company in the USA imports the ADLO topboxes and has them re-badged as BESTEM. I'm sure if you did a search on eBay UK you'd find some cheaper topboxes sourced from PRC. Possibly even ADLO?

If possible would be great to see some pics of the base plate and how you have attached to the bike - thanks
    Fortunately the 650TR comes factory fitted with a luggage rack so half of what one needs to fit a topbox is there already. Once I ordered the ADLO 2012 model topbox I used the base plate provided with the ADLO topbox and aligned it best I could with the 3 coach bolt holes of the luggage rack, which meant that the ADLO supplied, hex bolts, nuts and rectangular metal brackets are superfluous and not required for this application. The standard mounting holes on the ADLO base plate didn't quite align with the holes of luggage rack so I simply drilled two new holes on the base plate, after measuring up for positioning etc. Cleaned the new holes up, removing the sharp edges etc, then using longer coach bolts (Allen headed coach bolts - same as those used by CFmoto), and a few extra flat washes, and attached the base plate to the luggage rack. After fitting the topbox to the base plate/luggage rack, I then had to work out how I'd route the wiring from the topbox to the brake light. Actually there is a small enough hole just under the luggage rack where the indicator light wiring routes through into the tail section, so I used that.

Photos to come...

3. #13 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bikerdoc,

Do you buy your ADLO boxes directly from the website? I'd like to get one for my KLR. What size will hold a full helmet? I've got a pretty big one on my Jialing, probably the 928, but it won't hold my HJC flipfront helmet.

cheers!
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Nice pictures!!
    Is that road really in China? Why does anybody ever take me to a place like that?

5. #15 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Bikerdoc,

Do you buy your ADLO boxes directly from the website? I'd like to get one for my KLR. What size will hold a full helmet? I've got a pretty big one on my Jialing, probably the 928, but it won't hold my HJC flipfront helmet.

cheers!
    euphonius
    Sorry Euphonius,
    I get my ADLO boxes from one seller who has a shop in HZ. Been dealing with them for the past 5-6 years ever since I stumbled across the shop (HZ motorcycle market) and the ADLO box (which I still have). I order via a phone call, they order via ADLO who then ships to me direct from the factory, but I pay the HZ shop. As for the ADLO box accommodating helmets, both the "2012" and "981" model topboxes can fit my Shark Evoline series 2 helmet. The 2012 is not as deep as the 981 so if there's anything substantial on the bottom of the box, then the 2012 does experience an issue closing and locking the lid. The 981 doesn't have such a problem as it's deeper. I like the 2012 though since it has the integrated LED brake light, which the 981 does not, but then the 981 has better carrying handle. Both model boxes though are available via Taobao without much difficulty. Just watch that you order a 981 and not a 981A since that is just a shrunken version of the 981 - they look identical especially in pictures but the dimensions differ. Just on the off chance you decide to go that route.
    Cheers
    BD

6. #16 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Quote Originally Posted by gorka View Post
    Nice pictures!!
    Is that road really in China? Why does anybody ever take me to a place like that?
    Well Gorka, I can provide way better pictures of 'my' local mountain trails than that... actually that location of where I took those photos is the rear access point to Fuquanshan, which is off limits to private vehicles. Instead one has to take a small bus up from a different and much busier access road in a more travelled section of the mountain range. Note the guard house and signage in the background in a couple of the photos. Actually there were a couple of BaoAn's there making sure I wasn't going to ride in. Not that I care, cause they go "off" around 4:30-5:00pm and the road cones blocking access from this entrance doesn't stop me. Unfortunately there has been a recent increase of other vehicles accessing this restricted area, so new chains have been put up and different locations throughout the mountain area in question, making navigating through the restricted zones more difficult but not impossible. But I fear it's only a matter of time before more permanent barriers are put in place. The main entrance is staffed/restricted with barriers and BaoAn's 24/7 365 days.

I'll flick up a couple of other photos, that will make ya crea... oh, you get the idea...

Dragstar Bike@XiXiShuiKu 03.jpg

Dragstar Jiande Mountain-2.jpg

DSCF2155.jpg

DSCF2184.jpg

Tonnes more, so after I finish my studies this year, I might just have/make time to pull my finger/thumbs out and get my many RR posted.

7. #17 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Updated. Note that today had a phone conversation concerning the apparent ghost tall screens mysteriously supplied on some 650TR's ex-factory but denied by CFMoto. All previous phone calls (over the past month or so) to various people at CFMoto factory have resulted in denials that a tall screen was available let alone made.

Roll forward to today where I sent evidence off various web links outlining the tall screen option, to CFMoto parts. Got given a number to call, so telephoned, where the male call taker initially denied any knowledge of a tall screen for the 650TR. Bit of banter back and forth, with referral to various sources including Buck and Amy on the "great ride of Ch!na" then things changed. Admission that there was indeed a tall screen. That export models of the 650TR had different quality components than those for the domestic PRC market (such a warm fuzzy reassuring feeling - not!).
    The bike that CFMoto provided Buck and Amy is an export model, hence the tall screen option. The CFMoto rep, stated that this is a typical situation here in PRC where nearly all manufacturers provide products to a preconceived price point using lesser quality components etc. The rep while empathetic was apathetic, it is what it is.

Anyway, a tall screen option will be available after October, along with several other hardware modifications connected to the screen.

TIC people...
    T, I farkin C!

My Screen fabrication post
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-17-2013 at 07:01 AM.

8. #18 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Updated. Note that today had a phone conversation concerning the apparent ghost tall screens mysteriously supplied on some 650TR's ex-factory but denied by CFMoto.
    I will photograph mine when I get home with tape measure included in photo so you can see the height and co firm if it is one of the ghost taller screens.

9. #19 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Taken a pic of screen tried to get the tape measure as close as possible one handed while photographing using iPad in other hand lol... The measurement is 24" / 601mm approx
    Attached Images

10. #20 Re: Bikerdocs' 650TR (CF650-2) review 
    Hi 650TR

Thanks for posting pictures of the screen look like you have the Mk 3 me and Bikerdoc was just looking on Buck and Amy Flickr phots on the trip these guys are on now around China 30,000 km on a CF 650TR which is a Export model and looking at the pictures me and bikerdoc has found about 12 cosmetic differences between the export bike and ours Please if you get time could you post some pictures of the sides back ect so we can have a look at yours and the pictures we have of Bucks to see if you have a diffrance bike so to say

Thanks for your time
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast