Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well I came across the first little issue so far with the CF. was just checking her over and noticed some coolant in the belly pan. Doesn't look like I've lost much and it seems to have come from the join between the coolant hose and the pump on the right side of the engine. The jubilee clip wasn't very tight so I've tightened it right up, hopefully that will fix it, am guessing maybe the clip just vibrated loose...

2. #2 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    Jeff at Mingfan Moto advised me to tighten down the hose clamps after the first ride. Evidently, this is a common problem. Both Miles82 and I have had small leaks due to poor links in the cooling system. Another thing to check is the rubber hose running down the left front (from rider's position) of the bike. The hoses are cut while flat, but bent up and around to create a joint, causing the flat cut of the hose not to sit flush against the radiator outlet. The local mechanics don't seem to understand why this would be a problem, but it's easy enough to cut the hose on an angle and re-fit it so that it is flush. I'm also looking for some sort of clamp tape - something a bit pliant that could sit between the rather thin hose clamps and the rubber hose. I think the pressure in the system is too high for those clamps and they will eventually eat through the rubber hose.

3. #3 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks for that, I notice here on eBay I can get silicone hoses for the ER6/Versys fairly cheaply so I might just swap the hoses/clamps out for better quality items. I will check the other side too...

4. #4 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    C-Moto Senior
    So no leakage when I checked this morning, now to take her for a ride later to see if she leaks when the system is pressurised

5. #5 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    +1
    I bought a second hand 650NK with 3000km.
    I got it on Saturday and today I took it for a oil change and checkup. The coolant level was very low too, half way the radiator.
    I assumed the problema was the radiator cap had not been properly fit, but I will tighten those clamps too and keep an eye on the hoses.
    Thanks for the advice.

6. #6 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    C-Moto Senior
    The other purchase I need to make is a thread repair kit, it seems that every time I remove a panel I end up with a free spinning fastener! Certainly the threading on the frame of my bike seems to be rubbish, not the end of the world but irritating

7. #7 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorka View Post
    +1
    I bought a second hand 650NK with 3000km.
    I got it on Saturday and today I took it for a oil change and checkup. The coolant level was very low too, half way the radiator.
    I assumed the problema was the radiator cap had not been properly fit, but I will tighten those clamps too and keep an eye on the hoses.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Might simply be that the coolant has been lost due to very high temps, and Allan the previous owner never took it upon himself to check or top it up. Anyway worth the effort checking...

Hopefully it was just a neglect problem. I tend to over react with these things.
    I looked around all the joints this morning and there was no trace of coolant anywhere, so you are probably right.

9. #9 Re: Cf650 Coolant Leak 
    C-Moto Senior
    So I've ordered a workshop thread repair kit, m5 to m12, now at least I can repair threads as I strip them!