Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    To make it a bit less off-topic you could at least mention how you ship it!

I did my second round of checking today, and now that they realize I really want to ship a real bike and they really have to look up how much that is, instead of just saying a number on the phone, the values changed a little bit.

Deppon revised their quote to ~2300 CNY incl. insurance & box. No pick-up or delivery (costs 100 CNY more), but that's ok since I found out they are right around the corner and also in Kunming not too far, which would make crating and uncrating easier. Leadtime 6 days. I will go there on Friday to check again in person with bike.

Tianjin Train Cargo Department quotes 1800 CNY + 250 insurance + 550 box. It can't go without box. Leadtime 6 days.

Tianjin Train Checked Luggage Department says they can not transport anything over 50Kg, never could, never will and stick to the story. Maybe they thought I want to take the bike as hand baggage? I guess I will have to go there directly in person this week to check again. On Tuesday I have to ship the bike if I want to have it in Kunming in time.

The involved budget changed, but now I have to walk the walk. Not sure where the past prices came from, I already gave them size, weight and destination before... but I live here long enough to not be surprised that much.
    Alternative might be renting a (legal) bike in Kunming for the trip, but I don't really want that. We will see.

One other way is to ride the bike to Kumming cuts out all this shit and could be fun as well that my 2 cents
    Last edited by prince666; 09-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    If the train situation as Euphonius described is unfortunately not available to you for whatever TIC reason, then I can recommend Deppon. They are professional in their attitude, and even though you have been told 6 days lead time, since you've likely been quoted the longer/delayed delivery method to get the price down, as opposed to the more expensive option which cuts delivery time in half. I had a bike transported 1600km via Deppon, paid the lesser of the two option to save $$$ and ETA was quoted as 5-6 days. Bike arrived 36 hours after dropping off at Deppon. Bike actually beat me back by several days. So while lead time might be 6 days, it likely will be less.

3. #13 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    To make it a bit less off-topic you could at least mention how you ship it!
    9 bikes were loaded into metal crates which was then lifted onto a private tractor trailer. The tractor trailer will wait in Kunming for the until the completion of the ride then bring the bikes back to Shanghai. The cost of transport was around 5000.
    Attached Images
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

4. #14 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Probably way too late to make any suggestion, but here goes.

I needed to ship a GW250 from Beijing to Dalian, so I asked a GW dealer. Quick answer - no problem, we'll use a new bike crate and a shipper we use often. Two days, and a reasonable price.

5. #15 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

I needed to ship a GW250 from Beijing to Dalian, so I asked a GW dealer. Quick answer - no problem, we'll use a new bike crate and a shipper we use often. Two days, and a reasonable price.
    Hi

I find it strange all you guys ship your bikes when why not just ride them??? you say you are going from Beijing to Dalian ... i just come back Badalingzan the great wall to Longkou we took the expressways all the way to Longkou and even got flag throu by the police when we come to the Toll Booth when we come into shandong provinces took 8 hours was a nice ride and Yantai is only 1 hour more pass Longkou then take the boat over to Dalian . All the fun of having a bike is riding it not just around the area you wish to vist but to and from yes i can understand if you wish to ride around North Beijing and you live in SH yes ship it then but Beijing to Dalian come on Lao have some fun and ride it an a nice boat trip... well whatever you do have a nice trip and be safe

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #16 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    ... but Beijing to Dalian come on Lao have some fun and ride it
    Not my bike. And shipping often makes a LOT more sense, especially with time constraints.

7. #17 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    One other way is to ride the bike to Kumming cuts out all this shit and could be fun as well that my 2 cents
    Dude, that's 3000km one-way - a bit too much for a 20 days holiday in my opinion, especially if you just reach the place you actually intend to see the time you have to go back.

To be sure I took the bike to the trainstation these days, I found the Tuo Yun Xing Li easily. The staff there was very nice and attentive, but said I couldn't be done. For an electric bike they would be able to make it happen, but not for something as big as my Suzuki. After showing them the picture of Euphonious' Jialing at the Shanghai station they admitted it might be possible somewhere else, but not in Tianjin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

Unfortunately we do not have a motorcycle dealer neither. TIT - This is Tianjin.

I also contacted A Shuai to check how much a rental would be, just in case. The cheapest would be a domestic 250cc for 6000 CNY for the duration of our stay (up to a big BMW Enduro for 32000 CNY) + minimum 40000 CNY cash deposit.

So I will go with Deppon. They are just around the corner, make indeed a good and professional impression and the service involved seems ok.

Just a couple of days left, and we are really looking forward!
    Thanks for everyones suggestions.

8. #18 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Dude, that's 3000km one-way - a bit too much for a 20 days holiday in my opinion, especially if you just reach the place you actually intend to see the time you have to go back.
    2746km just put it in to Google maps only take 3 days but you are right best to ship them have a good trip Dude looking forwards to the RR report when you get back

9. #19 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dude, this is China. Never trust anything anyone says on the phone. No one at a government agency has any incentive whatsoever to help you out, so the default is always 没办法.

If there's a direct T or K train to Kunming from Tianjin, they should be able to take it. But you have to be there, in their face, not by phone. They have freight schedules at the checked luggage counter that are official. The official weight limit is 200kg, though the Jialings we ship are sometimes a few kg over that. No box or crate. You have to be prepared to have someone roll it into the station, and trust that they'll handle it well. Buy insurance.

good luck.
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    I agree with you Euphonius, so that's what I did. (see my post above)
    Still, they said it can't be done. 没办法.

Maybe the other way round, we'll see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast