Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    I agree with you Euphonius, so that's what I did. (see my post above)
    Still, they said it can't be done. 没办法.

Maybe the other way round, we'll see.
    Sorry I missed that post! Looks like you did everything you can. TIT.

How about mushing up to Beijing and shipping from there? Others have shipped from there, and even posted about it (I'm thinking Motokai, but don't have a link). By now I'm guessing you've gone with Deppon.

I remember riding and driving through Tianjin, and being amazed at how when you cross the line from Hebei the roads almost instantly go to shit -- not just the road quality but even the design. This was not subtle, either. Seriously poor quality construction, with roadbed sagging in many places, road courses often curving this way and that rather than making the obvious direct course that most everywhere else in China is pretty normal. It's hard to believe there is any reason for this other than corruption. Officials skimming at every opportunity, ensuring that substandard materials get used whenever possible. Folks who paid big enough bribes could have the road detour around their factories, etc. Then you cross into Hebei and the expressway quality rises substantially. Then you cross into Shandong and the quality rises another conspicuous notch.

Don't mean to piss gratuitously on your town, but the facts speak for themselves. Anyway, you'll enjoy riding in Yunnan!

Cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #22 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    For 2 times we shipped bikes now. Once Beijing to Huangzhou, second Beijing to Xian. Both times we simply asked Thomas company logistics team to arange them. No crates, no draining liquids, simply upload and fasten a lot of belts. We always have been pleased with the outcome.

3. #23 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    That's nice to know Sabine, how about pricing? Is the logistics company a commercial business that others can use, if so then can you post a link? Or is the logistics company just a few trucks attached to the company that Thomas works for? If it's the latter then really doesn't help any of us...

I can say that Deppon, while expensive, are everywhere in China. Even in second and thrid tier cities, Deppon often have multiple drop points and they are consistent, one will get the same level of service at all locations.

4. #24 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Don't mean to piss gratuitously on your town, but the facts speak for themselves. Anyway, you'll enjoy riding in Yunnan!
    No worries, we know it's a beauty. We call it "the Farm", despite its size. .
    Riding-wise the charm around Tianjin is to discover another empty megalomanian building project in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by artificial something. Unless you go north-west, to the Beijing mountain area.

The bike just arrived in Kunming via Deppon, and we will follow tomorrow evening. I had a good feeling shipping it with them. They packed it really good and they seemed to be very clear about what they are doing. Let's see how it goes when I pick it up.

Our map is updated with sights & sceneries we want to see on our way and waypoints saved on my mobile phones' navigation system. Depending on how much time we spend where, we can just make the loop bigger or smaller. We will see on the way.

Can't wait!

5. #25 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 

6. #26 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    JoK
    Hi, will u be in Shangri la? If yes, when? Let me know, am a GW250 in Shangri la.
    Suzuki GW 250

7. #27 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    IT's the sort of trip I want to do maybe next year.. I don't think you can plan for everything so just get out there and do it..

Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    As most of us, I will have some days off in September/October during "Golden Week" for a trip - 19 days from start to finish. Not just any trip, possibly the last China-based holiday, since we will follow a new opportunity in another country end of the year. A bit surprising, I just bought the Suzuki this summer, but couldn't say no.

Anyway, we (JD + girlfriend) want to ride through Yunnan, inspired by some RR and pictures in this forum and the fact that we haven't been there yet.
    The plan is to ship the bike from Tianjin to Kunming (preferebly via Deppon, since almost same price and shorter leadtime than train + box), follow by plane, get the bike and start, ride around, end somewhere and ship the bike and us back.
    Must-see is Dali, Lijiang, Deqen. Rest is open to suggestions!

This is the route I have in mind.
    Attachment 13216

I calculate that receiving and shipping the bike back will eat one day each (if things go well ), and maybe we will stay at a nice place for an additonal day to look at things... then there might not be much cushion for technical problems, really bad weather or the like for 2500km...

What do you think? What should I add on the route, what can I leave out?

We will ride two-up on the GW250. I will take some basic tools, a tire repair kit. And a couple of locks .
    If anyone in the Tianjin/Beijing area has panniers for the GW250 he would rent out for this period it would be much appreciated! Otherwise we would have to fit our stuff on the bikes' rack I added, or find another solution.

Anything else I need to consider, but possibly didn't? Road condition? Weather condition? A tent? A bunch of tourists looking at the same things at the same time?

I'm thankful for any input!

8. #28 Re: 2 Weeks - Kunming -> Lijiang -> ? on GW250 
    I'm probably in the minority here, but put some dirt tires on the thing and search out the worst roads that you can find. Then have a blast.
    Watch out for the trucks & buses up in that area, they don't give. I past more then a few big accidents up there. In fact, I had one at 110km/hr but that's another story for another thread. LOL!
    Seriously though, your not really riding an off road oriented bike but IMO if you could change your tires to a less street oriented tire you will be better served.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123