Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: KTM Shanghai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 KTM Shanghai 
    Hello all,
    Gather the women & children, lock the doors and check your accounts. KTM is coming, KTM is coming, KTM is coming.
    Jimmy from Joy Motors will be the official KTM dealer in Shanghai, with a full lineup of bikes & spare parts which will include all the necessary upgrades and diagnostic equipment.
    I for one am very excited because the lineup of bikes will also include at least two, or three full fledged dirt bikes. I cannot confirm the exact dirt bike models, but the 350cc EXC, 450cc EXC, & 500cc EXC look like they will be included in the mix.

The EXC models are road legal bikes with headlights, turn signals, horns, & comply with all of the emissions requirements to be legally plated & insured.

The EXC's are a great choice because on their own these bikes are capable Enduro right out of the box, but the better news is that (crazy guys such as myself) can easily turn them into full on MX / Race bikes just the same as the XC-W's, but with a plate.

With a little work the 350 can be bumped up to 49cc. Although I wouldn't consider this bike to road capable (due to transmission gearing) even if you change the sprockets, but it can still do some street.

The 450 & especially the 500 can really do the job in terms of adventure tourers.

Other news: Hebe from the Ducati sales team will be joining Joy Motors.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

2. #2 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    Whoo Hoo!

I just went by Jimmy's shop the other day and was impressed - though I am now convinced he is an EVIL man who likes to temp and ensnare innocent bikers....He offered me a no strings TEST RIDE on a fantastic looking NEW KTM 1190 Adv R and I almost fell into the trap!

It was BEAUTIFUL....and had I tried it, I know my almost complete lack of will power would have meant I'd be buying that puppy within days...That is exactly how I got my last 3 bikes...yep, I'm a pushover and he could tell.

Hebei moving from Ducati to Jimmy's place explains why I got a strange string of SMS' last night from the Ducati dealer....
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

3. #3 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    Wow!
    "I just went by Jimmy's shop the other day and was impressed - though I am now convinced he is an EVIL man who likes to temp and ensnare innocent bikers....He offered me a no strings TEST RIDE on a fantastic looking NEW KTM 1190 Adv R and I almost fell into the trap!"

Interesting! I've known Jimmy about 2½ years and he has never once tried to persuade me to buy something from him with any type of sinister ulterior motive. The contrary, in fact he has always been quite the standup guy to me as well as other people that I know. I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Personally I know of and have been to most of the shops around Shanghai, laughing, talking, & general BS'ing. The proof is always in the pudding (as they say) and for me time has clearly shown that when it's time to put my money on the barrel head I prefer to spend my money with either Jimmy, or David. With these guys you don't have to worry. Point Blank, end of story.

Anyway, I am looking forward to, and hoping to be able to ride a legal & proper dirt bike here in China someday soon.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

4. #4 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    These bike are all imported right!? So they're in the price range of BMW's, Duc's, etc I guess!

How much for a 1190 Adv R?

Cheers,
    Barry
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #5 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    "These bike are all imported right!?"
    Yes, just the same as any other bike.

"So they're in the price range of BMW's, Duc's, etc I guess!"
    It goes without saying that any legally vetted, imported, and properly plated bike is going to carry any and all of the import duty, Chinese goodness that this country has to offer. As always, It is what it is.

"How much for a 1190 Adv R?"
    I don't have any information to share with you at this time. If at some point I happen to run across any pertinent pricing information I will gladly share it with you.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

6. #6 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    Wow!
    Interesting! I've known Jimmy about 2½ years and he has never once tried to persuade me to buy something from him with any type of sinister ulterior motive. The contrary, in fact he has always been quite the standup guy to me as well as other people that I know. I'm sorry that you feel that way.
    Dude - I was kidding .... Jimmy is a great guy and he never struck me as someone who would really trick anyone. I was making a joke about the fact that he was offering such a great experience that it was hard to resist....

7. #7 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    Oh, my bad. I guess I misinterpreted what you wrought.
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

8. #8 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Guys,

Sorry, long time I did not follow the Forum. Could you please let me know which Jimmy are you talking about (The one close to Tianma?)

Would you have any adress? and contact (By PM)?
    I live in Suzhou and would like to contact them before heading there

Cheers

Nicolas

9. #9 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    Hey, I'd love the address too.

:)
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #10 Re: KTM Shanghai 
    The KTM shop is scheduled to officially open around Mid October. I believe the new location will be in the building next to the new Holiday Inn Shanghai on the Huqingping Hwy. Not far from the Road House Cafe'.

Joy Motors is the current location and the address is as follows:

闵行区 上海
    601#.华翔路601号A,近建虹路口

Minghang Shanghai
    No.601A
    Huaxiang Road

Hope this helps
    2010 BMW R1200 GSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast