Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hello from HuiZhou, Guangdong 
    Hello to everyone on this forum,

I've found this forum a couple of days ago and it seems to have woken my interest in motorbikes. I previously lived in a country area of north east Spain and used to go trail and trial riding on a regular basis. The truth is I am not that good on a bike but I do really enjoy :-) My last bike was a 1979 350CC Ossa trail bike, a bit of a lump of a bike with an engine that was really quite difficult to kick start with such high compression. I had that bike for 12 years before i sold it when I came to live in China. Here's a photo for you

CIMG2976.jpg

I have already started asking about motorbike licenses and it seems that it is a lot easier to do in my girlfriend's home town so I feel I trip to the country will be on the cards after the holidays.

Then on to buying a bike. I prefer dual sport type bikes and at the moment the Shineray X5 400C seems to be at the top of the list, reasonably priced, they have probably fixed most of the issues with them by now and it looks quite smart. Does anybody on this forum have any ideas for any another options ? I wold prefer to buy a bike from a big name brand, my favorite has always been Yamaha, probably as my father was a Yamaha dealer when I was a kid.

Kind regards from HuiZhou

2. #2 Re: Hello from HuiZhou, Guangdong 
    Hey man,
    I'm in Guangzhou, but there are some guys from Huizhou that we meet up and ride with around the area. Lots of good stuff to explore. For Chinese-made dual sport, right now the X5 is the best option out there. I'm interested in that bike as well, but I'm not in a rush to go out and buy one. Still watching others' experiences first. I'm having fun with my cheap Chinese supermoto 250 at the moment. If/when you do get a bike, let us know and maybe we can meet up sometime around Huizhou.

ThePope

3. #3 Re: Hello from HuiZhou, Guangdong 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Worth considering the Jialing JH600 bound to be more comfortable for longer rides and touring than the X5. You might be interested in waiting for the Benelli-Qianjiang 600 (4 cylinder) 600cc (release at end of 2013 or early 2014) or CFMoto's (2 cylinder) 650cc dual sport / adventurer models (maybe early 2014), yet to be released.
    Not to be forgotten is the Galaxy XTR250... all searchable on MCM.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-15-2013 at 05:59 AM.

4. #4 Re: Hello from HuiZhou, Guangdong 
    Hi Pope,

What a wonderful nickname :-). Thanks for your advise about the bikers in HuiZhou, as soon as i get the bike I'll be joining them. Good to hear that the X5 seems to be a good choice, I think it is actually quite similar to the other bikes I have ridden in the past. Look forward to meeting up soon.

Hi Bikerdoc.

Thanks for your suggestions, I don't think I'll be doing too much long distance rinding with my new bike, I prefer off roading but want a bike that I can use on the road between home and the mountains. I would be surprised if I ever do more than 100 kms in a day on the road. I'm going to take a look at the CFmoto 650cc, only problem could be that it must be quite heavy. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Symon260z; 09-10-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

5. #5 Re: Hello from HuiZhou, Guangdong 
    Hello Everyone,

I've been making some inquiries about getting a Motor bike license here in China, I already have a car license. Anyway to cut a long story short from 2 towns I have been told that at the moment it is impossible for a foreigner to get a Motorbike license. Is this really true ? Or is there something I am missing ?
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

6. #6 Re: Hello from HuiZhou, Guangdong 
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I've been making some inquiries about getting a Motor bike license here in China, I already have a car license. Anyway to cut a long story short from 2 towns I have been told that at the moment it is impossible for a foreigner to get a Motorbike license. Is this really true ? Or is there something I am missing ?
    Hi,

i got my C1E here in Kunming on 8th september without any problems. They even asked me if i additionally want the motorcycle license... strange.

Right now i'm in the process searching and buying a bike, but just heard that within the 3th ring it's not possible to register now. Let's see...